Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Tidal Coho Opening  (Read 17781 times)

Jamier

Fraser Tidal Coho Opening
« on: October 26, 2023, 07:57:14 AM »

Has anyone heard when the Fraser Tidal might open for coho?  I know they have the 42 day closure, but not sure when that started. Thanks

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Fraser Tidal Coho Opening
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 08:12:54 AM »

Once the fish have all passed through.

Phronesis

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 08:31:34 AM »

Doubt they will open this year citing low chum returns maybe

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 09:28:51 AM »

Once the fish have all passed through.
pretty much, I think last year we made a discussion and asked anyone who caught one to post it and nobody posted a single catch and reported one...
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »

It is opened for a lot of people. I always saw a few guys casting lure in my region.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 12:43:40 PM »

The closure window is available every year in the ifmp

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/mplans/smon-sc-cs-ifmp-pgip-sm-eng.html

Mouth to Port Mann Bridge 19-Sep to 30-Oct

roeman

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 05:24:32 PM »

See the same group fishing the Fraser on the Mission side above Hatzic Hole..  Slaughter House.  Go for a walk along the dyke and take your rod.  Water clarity is great right now in the Fraser for Coho fishing..  Don't even need a fishing license right now to fish the Fraser... 
Are you fishin or catchin

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 07:31:42 PM »

See the same group fishing the Fraser on the Mission side above Hatzic Hole..  Slaughter House.  Go for a walk along the dyke and take your rod.  Water clarity is great right now in the Fraser for Coho fishing..  Don't even need a fishing license right now to fish the Fraser...
I wondered about the cars parked along side the hwy there at Hatzic lake and seeing nobody fishing when I drive by.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2023, 08:01:41 AM »

This has been going on for some years now. All a person has to do is tell the FO they are fishing for trout or sturgeon. Just don't say salmon! Oh yeah and if a salmon is caught, just put it in the car trunk under the spare...ditto for wild fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jamier

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2023, 09:06:02 AM »

Thanks for all your feedback.  I know this is a on going topic each year.  It was a fishery that I always looked forward to as a kid and as an adult.  I know with the changes over the last few years this has now been taken away, for the most part.  I still always like a few outing in November when the last of the coho are traveling through.  November can still produce a decent number of fish.  Just looking for date when the bait ban is lifted and I can retain a hatchery coho if I catch one.  I know Rod in the past is usually on this and has heard of a possible date of an opening.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2023, 11:51:31 AM »

The closure window is available every year in the ifmp

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/mplans/smon-sc-cs-ifmp-pgip-sm-eng.html

Mouth to Port Mann Bridge 19-Sep to 30-Oct

when does it open Port Mann to Mission or maybe what page of the iMFP are the iFS closure windows listed?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 11:52:49 AM »

Thanks for all your feedback.  I know this is a on going topic each year.  It was a fishery that I always looked forward to as a kid and as an adult.  I know with the changes over the last few years this has now been taken away, for the most part.  I still always like a few outing in November when the last of the coho are traveling through.  November can still produce a decent number of fish.  Just looking for date when the bait ban is lifted and I can retain a hatchery coho if I catch one.  I know Rod in the past is usually on this and has heard of a possible date of an opening.

As I recall we caught jacks & coho to about the middle of November or slightly later, depending on the year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2023, 12:07:46 PM »

when does it open Port Mann to Mission or maybe what page of the iMFP are the iFS closure windows listed?

Found it myself: appendix 98, Pg 596

Port Mann to Mission: closed to Nov 1 opens Nov 2nd

Mission to Hope: closed to Nov 2 opens Nov 3rd

should be a couple weeks of reasonable opportunity as long as water conditions are good. I think last year it was murky for a couple of weeks.

Jamier

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2023, 03:37:35 PM »

So if it opens Nov 2,2023. Can we assume that we should see a notice that it is open and that we can keep two hatchery coho? I know in the past it seems like DFO leaves it to the very last minute.

Chum Slayer

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 04:45:07 PM »

Wait until it is posted, besides there are better systems for hatchery coho although its a great fishery. Don't be afraid to visit some smaller systems with a one hatchery a day limit.