Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any budget centerpin reel other than Okuma / Luhr / Rapala  (Read 2172 times)

Phronesis

Any budget centerpin reel other than Okuma / Luhr / Rapala
« on: October 12, 2023, 10:02:11 AM »

I had Okuma Raw II and even though its smooth, I didnt like the handles being closer to the outer rim - my hands are big and I get hit by those handles when fighting a fish and its not fun, plus my float rod tip broke, so in the market for a reel and rod
So far I only saw John milner reels that have handles away from the rim but they are just above the budget I was looking for (my budget for reel <500). Facebook market place are all above my budget. Am I stuck until my budget gets higher or there are other good options like John Milner?

I am looking forward to the November sale in chilliwack but thinking it would be the same as facebook market place or higher

redside1

Re: Any budget centerpin reel other than Okuma / Luhr / Rapala
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 10:10:50 AM »

check out Harbour Chandler online. They are selling a new to the market Trophy XL Glyde reel. One of their employees, Chip, had a lot to do with the design of it.
https://harbourchandler.ca/trophy-glyde-centerpin-5-reel-dark-blue/

comes in a bunch of colours, ABEC bearings. Priced well at $349.99. Comes in right or left hand wind.
you can also see it on their Instagram posts.

Phronesis

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 03:10:02 PM »

Looks nice, how are trophy xl reels? Couldnt find many reviews on it

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 03:27:11 PM »

Pretty hard to beat an old Avon in the budget deprtment.

redside1

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 04:00:06 PM »

Looks nice, how are trophy xl reels? Couldnt find many reviews on it

they are new this year. It will be hard to find many reviews about them.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 06:22:46 PM »

Pretty hard to beat an old Avon in the budget deprtment.

Was just thinking the same. Not as "pretty" as some of the newer stuff but can often be found pretty cheap and tried and true over the years.

Silex-user

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 07:16:12 PM »

Pretty hard to beat an old Avon in the budget. I second it. My very first centerpin reel was Avon brought back in 1974. I think I paid $36.99. If you can find used Silex reel they are real work horse and reliable. Being using for years it never fail me yet.

Silex-user

Phronesis

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 07:44:15 PM »

Awesome suggestions, thank you, couldnt find Avon anywhere for sale, found some Hardy Silex reels that range from 250 to 800, the old ones seem very bulky/heavy, will try to get some hands on

aseredick

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 02:09:31 AM »

I’ve had a Glyde reel for nearly a year. I’ve been told it’s patterned after a Milner, but having never fished one, I can’t confirm this. Some colors are available in left and right hand retrieve. Get the retrieve you want, because they reel is not reversible.
I’ve been very impressed with mine. It feels solid and well made - it balances well on a 3113 rod. It is bigger than an Islander steelheader; as a result, the pick-up on retrieve is noticeably faster. My only quibble is an occasional wrap of line around the check lever when I try to super-bomb a cast.
The reel is priced fairly at $500. It’s a steal at $350.
I’m a big fan of Harbour Chandler too - great group of guys working in the fishing department.
Edit: I see you’re in the market for a new rod as well - the trophy XL titan centerpin rods are pretty nice too!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 04:29:16 AM by aseredick »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 09:35:21 PM »

this looks like a good deal, has the handles lower aswell

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1650383425451576/
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

spoiler

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 06:53:45 AM »

The old Grice & Young Avon Royal Supremes are reasonable and if maintained properly will last a couple lifetimes. There's also the earlier JW Young and Sons reels which included the Seldex, Rapidex & Trudex. It's pretty common to pick up any of these reels for $100 or under if you spend the time to look.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2023, 08:43:03 AM »

If you look at FlyBC there is a great deal on a reel and rod in the classified section on page 2.
Not affiliated and dont know the seller but very reasonable.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 12:34:23 PM »

I had Okuma Raw II and even though its smooth, I didnt like the handles being closer to the outer rim - my hands are big and I get hit by those handles when fighting a fish and its not fun, plus my float rod tip broke, so in the market for a reel and rod

Most reels have the handles set close to the rim, but if you liked the Okuma Raw II, have a look at the Aventa, which has more center set handles and even more budget friendly than the Raw.

Raven Matrix reels also have more center set handles but it's model specific so you'll have to look at which ones will suit your needs. Also very budget friendly and extremely performant for the price. They're not as popular here so finding one in the used market could be a challenge, but there are local Raven dealers if you're willing to buy new.

Awesome suggestions, thank you, couldnt find Avon anywhere for sale, found some Hardy Silex reels that range from 250 to 800, the old ones seem very bulky/heavy, will try to get some hands on

They are very bulky and heavy. Honestly I would not recommend a classic Hardy. As you've noticed, because of the collectability, they command a price premium, and will be outperformed by modern reels in basically every metric. Unless you want to rock one specifically for the old school school credibility there are far better choices for the price point IMHO. Others have mentioned some great options for other classic reels that can be had for a fraction of the price and work just as well, if you really want the vintage experience.

Phronesis

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 12:37:22 PM »

I got a kingpin for a really good price....thanks all

Not sure what you guys do with the broken tip rod, its fenwick hmx mooching rod 10-20lb medium moderate, used as centerpin,  its free for anyone to pickup if you are interested in experimenting/fixing.

Phronesis

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 04:28:05 PM »

Most reels have the handles set close to the rim, but if you liked the Okuma Raw II, have a look at the Aventa, which has more center set handles and even more budget friendly than the Raw.

Raven Matrix reels also have more center set handles but it's model specific so you'll have to look at which ones will suit your needs. Also very budget friendly and extremely performant for the price. They're not as popular here so finding one in the used market could be a challenge, but there are local Raven dealers if you're willing to buy new.

They are very bulky and heavy. Honestly I would not recommend a classic Hardy. As you've noticed, because of the collectability, they command a price premium, and will be outperformed by modern reels in basically every metric. Unless you want to rock one specifically for the old school school credibility there are far better choices for the price point IMHO. Others have mentioned some great options for other classic reels that can be had for a fraction of the price and work just as well, if you really want the vintage experience.

I didnt want to get another Okuma or Rapala since something didnt feel "right" when trying them out, my hands being big perhaps, so thought a bigger sized reel would be perfect for me and kingpin 5"  so far gives a good balance and feel.

You are right about the classic ones, there is a sentimental value to it which I wouldnt be able to associate with.

Im excited to go out and try the new reel out ....