Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BnR soft beads  (Read 3920 times)

Colersmom

BnR soft beads
« on: October 05, 2023, 07:39:48 PM »

What are the best colours of soft beads? I want to go out with my uncle to try for chinook sometime this month...

Phronesis

Re: BnR soft beads
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 10:43:26 PM »

There isnt a best color bead, i tend to use bright color during cloudy days and less bright/flashy when its sunny.

You can also use a wool in the shape of a single egg or get cleardrift beads which are cheaper than BnRs

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 10:45:08 PM »

Personally there are several colours and sizes that I really like when water is clear and low like this. 10mm and 12mm mottled red, mottled cerise, mottled orange, clown, joker.

Colersmom

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 06:17:14 PM »

Is ten pound mono sufficient for a leader, or do I need to go heavier?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 08:12:40 AM »

Is ten pound mono sufficient for a leader, or do I need to go heavier?

I generally use 10lb Maxima Green for coho. If the fish are leader shy try 8 but coho generally aren't. For springs I'd go to 12 or even 15. lots of people use Fluorocarbon these days.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

coastangler

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 08:47:01 PM »

I generally use 10lb Maxima Green for coho. If the fish are leader shy try 8 but coho generally aren't. For springs I'd go to 12 or even 15. lots of people use Fluorocarbon these days.

Something worth noting is that Maxima Ultragreen is way thicker than equivalent mono for other brands, for example the Orvis Superstrong plus Mono which is my preferred one is 0.009 inches thick for the 9.8 lb rate while Maxima Ultragreen 6lb is 0.009 thick which to me is crazy. Of course Maxima Ultragreen has a reputation of being unbreakable! At the expense of using the thickest line ever lol

I do agree that 10lb is fine most of the time for Coho but I'd recommend 12lb (unless is Maxima Ultragreen lol) so you get a bit of wiggle room for things like fish trashing around or just handle bigger fish.

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

canucksfan233

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 09:57:12 PM »

fished with my uncle today, using 8 pound fluro. Seemed to be the ticket today as he got more bites than other people that I saw. 8mm soft bead i think. I was 12 pound mono and he definitely got more bites, both of us fishing the same area.

Old Blue

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 10:27:35 PM »

fished with my uncle today, using 8 pound fluro. Seemed to be the ticket today as he got more bites than other people that I saw. 8mm soft bead i think. I was 12 pound mono and he definitely got more bites, both of us fishing the same area.

Mono is more buoyant than fluoro and also thicker....12 fluoro would be fine.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 08:38:53 AM »

thin lines with high breaking strength are not really strong lines. They are more prone to abrasion damage etc. much of their strength may due to their elasticity. I buy ultragreen in 100 yard spools which makes it cheaper than 30 yard spools of fly leader. I have that stuff too but use it more for trout & small flies. Fluorocarbon has about 20% lower knot strength than mono. I have never really liked the stuff. The fact it about 10% higher density than water, so it sinks, is it's only major advantage in my experience.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 02:25:00 PM »

I recently came across an article by Rod ( of Bent Rod fame ) . In the piece he said he had better luck with beads hanging them from the hook like a roe sac rather than pegging the bead above the hook . Anyone care to comment on this technique ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 03:02:08 PM »

I recently came across an article by Rod ( of Bent Rod fame ) . In the piece he said he had better luck with beads hanging them from the hook like a roe sac rather than pegging the bead above the hook . Anyone care to comment on this technique ?
I tried it last friday and got a jack chinook hooked top lip on the nose. Didn't even set the hook Although I also got a hatch coho in the corner mouth that morning pegging the bead. Both definitely work.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 03:19:59 PM »

Makes sense. The pegging method which is the rage right now was originally invented to prevent the fish from swallowing the hook. It was never designed to increase hookups.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 04:48:07 PM »

Makes sense. The pegging method which is the rage right now was originally invented to prevent the fish from swallowing the hook. It was never designed to increase hookups.

Pegging method has much higher catching ratio. It is also good in snagging the fish. No salmon will swallow hook

Silex-user

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 07:30:15 PM »

Back in days when beads wasn't around I would used a big strands of peachy yarns and put it through the bait loop and trim it to look like a single egg. Work really well.

Silex-user

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 08:18:00 PM »

Back in days when beads wasn't around I would used a big strands of peachy yarns and put it through the bait loop and trim it to look like a single egg. Work really well.

Silex-user
Ah, the simple days of wool. Chartreuse wool worked well too. Then you would get into blending colours: peach and red formed a nice contrast.  The days when your vest pockets were bulging with wool and it looked like you were carrying Joseph’s Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. 😀