Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 lower mainland saltwater coho season  (Read 4361 times)

Jacobleboe

2023 lower mainland saltwater coho season
« on: May 26, 2023, 08:11:47 PM »

It’s late May which means the Capilano coho are just starting to trickle in. It’s still fairly early in the season and Coho fishing doesn’t open in the straight until June 1st, yet it’s open off the cap mouth and down west van. Going to head out this weekend and do some fishing in those areas, not expecting much but it’ll be nice just to get out on the water. Over the past years I’ve found the fishing doesn’t really pickup until late June/early July, but the lack of rain recently could mean they’ve been starting to stack up around the river. If anyone has any thoughts or advice throughout this season use this thread as a place for them.

canucksfan233

Re: 2023 lower mainland saltwater coho season
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 04:55:30 PM »

Water is still high enough for them to push in, but there were some in the ladder on monday and saw some caught on the river yesterday, so still should be some around.

danielk

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 11:28:34 AM »

I went for a walk around the hatchery.   A few fishing rising.   And around 15 in the ladder.  Lots of little Juvies swimming around also.    So they should be at the mouth !     Good luck I’m going to be hiking to some spots mid river this week and see what I see

Jacobleboe

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 02:50:13 AM »

Update: been out 3 times so far. Lots of coho around south Bowen mostly wild tho and plenty of hatchery chinook as well just as bycatch on coho gear. I was told the reason for the abundance of wild fish is because most of the early season coho around Bowen island and in the straight are not capilano fish. Many of them are heading down to Oregon or Washington. South Bowen is fishing great right now, lots of very aggressive coho just their mostly all wild. I had most success morning or overcast days on purple flashers and while hoochies. On brighter days in the afternoon and evening I’ve found green flashers seem to work better. The most constant depth I’ve found is between 35 and 50 ft trolling at just about 5 kmh. If you have a chance get out there, and there should be more hatchery fish showing up as well. Good luck.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 09:48:53 AM »

I probably wont bother till July when there will be a mix of coho and pinks around.

DKokanee

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 10:26:49 AM »

Has anyone gone out to Ambleside / Cap mouth to do beach fishing? Was planning on going out on the weekend so I was wondering how it's been.

Thanks in advance!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 09:37:32 AM »

Was out at the mouth of the Capilano this morning. Couple of big schools milling around the train bridge. No biters. One guy did snagged a small coho by the tail.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 11:06:59 AM »

Was out at the mouth of the Capilano this morning. Couple of big schools milling around the train bridge. No biters. One guy did snagged a small coho by the tail.
were you on the fly, or spin casting?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 01:32:22 PM »

were you on the fly, or spin casting?

Spin

DKokanee

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 09:06:23 AM »

Went out on Saturday and it was slow. Only saw one fly angler catch. I had a bite, but it was very unexpected as I was reeling in my blue fox and was basically at my leader. I turned away for a split second to talk to my buddy and all of sudden my rod bent. Before I could set the hook, I saw the fish jump 6 feet from me and spit my hook.  :'(

Jacobleboe

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »

Yeah the beach fishing is very tide dependent for the cap mouth both from the shore and on a boat as well. It needs to be a pretty big flood tide for them to actually stack up so close to the beach. As the season goes on they get less and less aggressive and it turns into pretty much a strictly first light bite and in the evening. The fish should be pushing in tho and now would be the best time to fish from the beach as they are just showing up and still fairly aggressive.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 10:12:53 PM »

I haven't participated in the beach fishery for many years, but man, was it fun

Fishing Ambleside is this unique blend of wild and urban. Fishing the strong currents of the the tidal islands with freighters, pleasure craft, cruise ships within spitting distance, seaplanes and helicopters overhead and great views of Lion's Gate Bridge and Stanley Park. Pretty cool.

Just don't fish the tidal islands and forget about the flood tide behind you!

Wade

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2023, 01:32:10 PM »

Went out on the 14th, saw a few fish surfacing at the turn of the tide, no one caught anything...maybe still too early

canucksfan233

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 10:35:41 AM »

Same Wade, went out on the 13th and 14th. Almost identical days in regard to tides and weather.

13th saw 3 fish caught by 2 different people. Was a school that showed themself around an hour before low tide with a couple of jumpers/disturbing water that kept everyone interested. A couple of people got strikes (myself included) but most either didn't hook up or was lost during the fight.

On the 14th I don't think I saw anyone with even a bite. Barely any jumpers this day too.

I was using a spoon but a lot of people using small pink hoochies with a spinner.