Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates  (Read 8961 times)

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: 2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 01:08:27 PM »

Well Saturday at tunkwa was cold rainy and windy but I did manage to get into half dozen or so decent fish. Two guys in our group had epic days. Big numbers.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 01:23:50 PM »

Not this year, but had a good day last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42lJtsyfMig
Waiting for the heat wave to pass before going again. :)

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 02:06:37 PM »

Not this year, but had a good day last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42lJtsyfMig
Waiting for the heat wave to pass before going again. :)
will this heat kill the fishing? I was thinking of going again this weeknd. Swimming in the heat and catching trout would amazing.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 07:15:23 PM »

will this heat kill the fishing? I was thinking of going again this weeknd. Swimming in the heat and catching trout would amazing.

In my past experience, fishing always turn phenomenon when heat wave came in early spring. but this year seems different. Haven't figure out. I'd encourage you to go.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 07:21:14 PM »

In my past experience, fishing always turn phenomenon when heat wave came in early spring. but this year seems different. Haven't figure out. I'd encourage you to go.
my family friend said he did very well last weekend at the start of the heat wave, I have a feeling it would be great the first couple days but die off slowly or at least get harder to catch them or require to troll deep ect.
It was 36 the day he went and oh boy is he burnt   ;D

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2023, 09:39:29 AM »

Without hope, there won't be any fishermen.
But then the same goes for suckers also.
It ain't the roe bro'

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 10:13:58 PM »

I took this sequence of photos on the weekend.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2023, 10:49:43 AM »

Any reports lately? I've planned a lake camping trip from on Canada Day weekend. Would like to try multiple lakes, some with more trophy fish and some with retention allowed. If anybody has good recommendations in the meritt area with camping available (or nearby) lmk either here or PM me. I so far have only been to Marquart. My preferred fishing techniques are bobber fishing with bait or spin casting. I've got flies and a rod but not confident in them yet! I do have an inflatable boat but no motor. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 10:58:31 AM by Darko »

SuperBobby

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2023, 12:19:06 PM »

Any reports lately? I've planned a lake camping trip from on Canada Day weekend. Would like to try multiple lakes, some with more trophy fish and some with retention allowed. If anybody has good recommendations in the meritt area with camping available (or nearby) lmk either here or PM me. I so far have only been to Marquart. My preferred fishing techniques are bobber fishing with bait or spin casting. I've got flies and a rod but not confident in them yet! I do have an inflatable boat but no motor. Thanks in advance.

Lac Le Jeune is one of the very few lakes left on my list of 'never been skunked even once' list. I was up there very recently....
With the cooler weather over the next little while, it should be really good for the July long weekend. Dry flys work well at the time you're going too.
Hit it right, you'll get lots. The thing about that lake though is that if there is even a little bit of a weather system passing by, you'll get blown off the lake from sunrise to sunset.

As for interior trophy lakes.....don't expect anyone to post them here. If you're fortunate.....you may get a PM......maybe....

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2023, 12:50:53 PM »

Lac Le Jeune is one of the very few lakes left on my list of 'never been skunked even once' list. I was up there very recently....
With the cooler weather over the next little while, it should be really good for the July long weekend. Dry flys work well at the time you're going too.
Hit it right, you'll get lots. The thing about that lake though is that if there is even a little bit of a weather system passing by, you'll get blown off the lake from sunrise to sunset.

As for interior trophy lakes.....don't expect anyone to post them here. If you're fortunate.....you may get a PM......maybe....

thanks for sharing SuperBobby, by weather system passing by I assume you mean heavy wind?

SuperBobby

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2023, 03:02:15 PM »

thanks for sharing SuperBobby, by weather system passing by I assume you mean heavy wind?

I mean anything that isn't a high ridge of pressure with an almost perfect clear sky.
For some reason Lac Le Jeune requires a stable ridge of high pressure to keep the wind off....anything else seems to blow you off the lake. Tunkwa is exactly the same...

danielk

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2023, 05:10:04 PM »

You can always try jacko lake it’s not that far away.    It used to be a fun lake to fish.   

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2023, 09:15:31 PM »

thanks for the suggestions, I think I have my eyes on some lakes now. Do you guys think its necessary to leave Friday on the Canada day long weekend to reserve a campground in the evening or not? I am under the impression that most lake campgrounds in the area are first come first serve. Although this is my first time and I am inexperienced, the plan was to leave Burnaby Saturday at 4 am and leave Monday maybe at 5 or 6 I am looking to camp at a lake campground preferably, not a private one.

Tylsie

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2023, 03:38:04 PM »

My summer is a bit wonky with work and my fishing opportunities will be very limited so I spent the past week and bit fishing as many different lakes as I could. I wanted to share a few experiences I witnessed. First the good, pretty much every store I stopped in was busy and several people were just getting into fishing including several kids super excited about receiving their first rod. People are starting to pick up the sport and that is great. But that leads me to the real purpose of this post.

Respect and Decency!

This rant doesn't really affect me as I have a boat but lots of people don't. That is why I am very glad the FFSBC has, and continues to, build fishing docks around the province. But what I witnessed was truly disheartening. At one lake, a group was having a BBQ at a picnic table along the trail to one of these docks. That is totally fine, except they had placed a large tent (not a sun shelter but a full 6 person? tent) right in the middle of the trail down to the dock. I wonder why the dock was empty while people fished from the trees. At another I saw an SUV was parked in the middle of the driveway blocking access to the fishing dock parking lot. I initially thought it was just placed there for easier unloading because the parking lot was on the other side of the dock ramp but nope, stayed there the whole time I was fishing. In both of these though, if a person wanted to they could walk around the obstacle and still fish from the dock. What I witnessed most though was small groups of people hogging the whole dock. On two occasions I saw groups with one side of the dock filled with camp chairs, coolers, a sun shade, you name it, all unused while they stood on the otherside with their rods out taking up the entire dock. And even though I think that was bad I can maybe give them the benefit of the doubt and say they just moved their rods over. The worst I saw was a small group of three that had deliberately placed rods in every single rod holder all around the dock. I mean true, I did not see them place the rods but they were the only group around and I have never seen anyone in BC use 8' heavy rods with 3" red and white bobbers clipped to them as backups for trout.

The standard "T" shaped dock, depending on group size, should be able to accommodate 3 groups comfortably; one on each side with one in the middle. Some of the bigger docks may allow more but unless your group is huge it should never be less. Further, these docks should be able to be accessed with minimum effort; I acknowledge that not every one is going to be accessible to people with mobility issues but people shouldn't have to create a new trail to get to it either. Fishing appears to be a growing sport in this province and that could be a great thing but only if people stick with it. Show respect, have decency and everyone will have a great time.