Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates  (Read 9023 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates
« on: May 05, 2023, 10:50:57 PM »

We ventured up to Region 3 this week fully expecting that fishing might be very challenging right after ice-off, and it was.

Tunkwa Lake was quite murky due to runoffs. Visibility was only 2 feet at most. It's hard to say whether there have been some winter kills. There was a lack of fish jumping, but perhaps they are just not active because the water was cold and dirty. We did get into some specimens up to 16 inches long.

We also fished Six Mile for a day and that was reasonably good. Fish were no big but at least they were actively feeding, especially after everyone had left the lake in the last half of the afternoon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr30NEBPHih/

Logan Lake was where we got into some better fish, but bites were not that consistent.

The new floating dock at Harmon Lake has snapped in half, most likely due to the ice. I've reported it and it's gonna be taken care of.

We fished Courtney briefly due to poor weather with very little success but fish are there, especially the smaller newly stocked Horsefly strain.

Looking forward to get back up there in another week or so. :)

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: 2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 07:53:16 AM »

Fished Tunkwa Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday 1 fish. Thursday 2 fish. Yesterday managed to get 8 fish. All big and frisky. See how I make out in the rain today ? Rod that was me that was yakking at you in front of the luxury cabin. Nice to see you got into some trout.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 10:38:28 AM »

Fished Tunkwa Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday 1 fish. Thursday 2 fish. Yesterday managed to get 8 fish. All big and frisky. See how I make out in the rain today ? Rod that was me that was yakking at you in front of the luxury cabin. Nice to see you got into some trout.

Nice chatting and good to see you got into more fish yesterday after a few challenging days! :D I'm sure it only is going to get better... I knew it was gonna be a gamble to be there this early but a good time regardless. :)

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 02:46:04 PM »

Nice report. will definitely help people planning their trips.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 11:01:15 PM »

was at Marquart today from ~ 8 - 6,
between the three of us we got 10 fish, 3 about 16 inch bows
the rest from 8-12 inch mix of bows and brookies.
Overall not a bad day aside from the rain early on and the killer wind all day.
There was not a lack of fish jumping especially smaller ones in the shallows/weeds
In the morning however we saw quite a few bigger fish jump from further away.
All fish were caught on a mix of nymphs, shrimp and worms

I dont know signs of winter kill, marquart is listed as a maybe, but I did not see dead fish floating around or on shoreline (if thats something thats normal for a winter kill lake)
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 11:07:52 PM »

Sounds like a good day, with typical Marquart specimens being caught. :) Were you on the floating dock? Any visible damage to the dock if you were?
I'd say there has not been a winter kill based on your report.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 11:42:14 PM »

Sounds like a good day, with typical Marquart specimens being caught. :) Were you on the floating dock? Any visible damage to the dock if you were?
I'd say there has not been a winter kill based on your report.
we fished for a bit at the end of the day at the dock with no luck but when we arrived early morning a gentlemen there said he caught one and had many bites he had been there since first light. The dock was not damaged from what i saw, the part connecting to land is crooked but not broken. One thing I forgot to mention is that there was some government agency group there doing some weird group work and it was lowkey a bummer. I am not sure if they were fire fighters in training or if they were practicing some sort of emergency flood technology to rapidly pump water but there were LOUD motors ripping probably for like 6 hours and it was loud almost on the side of the lake. Obviously they need to do what they need to do but I was expecting a bit more peace and quiet. Seems weird such a thing happening on a saturday, at least the sound didnt completely turn off the fish

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 03:17:33 PM »

I just fried some of those fish we caught for lunch, and these must be the best trout I have ever tasted. The taste reminds me of sockeye. Definitely delicious and all I did was panfry it with some seasoning.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2023, 03:18:59 PM »

Heh ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 09:34:23 PM »

. One thing I forgot to mention is that there was some government agency group there doing some weird group work and it was lowkey a bummer. I am not sure if they were fire fighters in training or if they were practicing some sort of emergency flood technology to rapidly pump water but there were LOUD motors ripping probably for like 6 hours and it was loud almost on the side of the lake. Obviously they need to do what they need to do but I was expecting a bit more peace and quiet. Seems weird such a thing happening on a saturday, at least the sound didnt completely turn off the fish

you seem to see a lot of weird and odd things while out fishing :)

Gotta tell you though, on a fishing trip there was a diving crew setting up a water intake for a new house on the lake. They worked righton the best fishing spot. fishing was slow that day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 10:21:50 PM »

I dont know signs of winter kill, marquart is listed as a maybe, but I did not see dead fish floating around or on shoreline (if thats something thats normal for a winter kill lake)

Dead fish is a pretty good sign, but since you saw lots of activity and got into some numbers, sounds like it survived pretty well. Marquart's pretty deep so maybe that saved it.

Good on you for going to see for yourself what's the status. A lot of people, myself included, would be hesitant to go if there was rumored winterkill. You took a chance and it paid off

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 11:07:35 PM »

you seem to see a lot of weird and odd things while out fishing :)

maybe its because im young everything seems weird to me  ;D

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 11:08:32 PM »

took this directly from a post on a facebook fishing group

" Region 3 : Went and checked out Lac Le Jeune, McConnell and lodge pole today.
Lodge pole - still has ice on but no signs of winter kill.
McConnell - ice is off no signs of winter kill.
Note(water was Darker than usual.)
Lac le jeune - ice off and no signs of winter kill."

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 11:10:16 PM »

Dead fish is a pretty good sign, but since you saw lots of activity and got into some numbers, sounds like it survived pretty well. Marquart's pretty deep so maybe that saved it.

Good on you for going to see for yourself what's the status. A lot of people, myself included, would be hesitant to go if there was rumored winterkill. You took a chance and it paid off

do you guys think that jigging a spoon would be productive for big trout in deeper water, I remember watching a Rodney jigging for kokkanee I wonder if that would be productive for these lakes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2023, 07:47:52 AM »

sure jigging for trout would work. Small rubber worm jibs or marabou jigs should be very effective, at least at times.

There are a lot of myths about winter kill.

Winter kill still takes place after ice out as fish move out of deeper water into shallow to feed and encounter places either of oxygen depleted water or lethal gases. Often that's when kill is the highest as fish move from spots with good oxygen levels (perhaps from underwater springs or ground water seeps) to feed.

Deep lakes can kill as well.Roche has lots of deep water and it sounds like it killed this year and had within the last 10 years as well. I don't think Lac Le Jeune is prone to winter kill. It also was one of the first lakes to be known and fished over 100 years ago. I don't know if it was naturally stocked but I think it may have been.

Lakes with a good flow of natural water from inlet to outlet streams often are resistant to winter kill. In the early years lodge and camp operators diverted streams to improve that or cleared out beaver dams, log jams and channelized inlet streams to do that.

Usually winter kill isn't 100% though the number of fish left in the lake may make for slow fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.