Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd people looking for stuff on the shore of Tidal fraser  (Read 2698 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Odd people looking for stuff on the shore of Tidal fraser
« on: April 25, 2023, 04:13:35 PM »

So I was out today fishing at sapperton landing spincasting for bull trout when I see some guy turning over logs and wood as if he was looking for something.. Not the first time I've seen something like this, even in different areas. Nothing resulted from my spin casting like usual.. Water clarity wasn't good. I did see a couple sturgeon jump though which I frequently see when fishing there. Has anyone else seen weird activity like I described? Me and my friend's theory is they're looking for drugs someone left them.. They aren't any search an rescue and they're not finding any gold in new west so I was curious.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: Odd people looking for stuff on the shore of Tidal fraser
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 05:45:13 AM »

There is a couple of local guys with instagram and TikTok accounts that scour the shores of the Fraser looking for anything old or unusual. They then post their finds. Some pretty cool stuff is found sometimes. That would be my guess.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 08:05:01 AM »

Occasionally I've seen people gathering firewood on the Fraser shore and other places. Best I know drift wood one of the few sources considered available for public use. some people use driftwood to make art pieces or as 'found art'.

Not as common as it once was but a few folks practice rock hounding higher up the valley where there are gravel and cobble bars. Some folks just commonly look for chunks of clear quartz or agates but there are other semi-precious stones. I found a nice piece of jade ( so i have been told)  20+ years ago as I just happened to look down and there it was. Also found a nice knapped stone spear or knife point the same way. Total flukes but there they were.

The could also have been looking for drugs though with tides etc I'd think putting a stash under a log would be risky.

I also wanted to mention that most of the gold rights, panning or otherwise, are privately held.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 08:14:16 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 12:44:29 PM »

Bumped into a fellow while fishing near Sapperton a few weeks back who was ankle-deep in the water, turning over stones. We chatted and he told me he's looking for agates and other semi-precious stones. He said he's found First Nations relics in the waterways in the past, too. He told me that he has a Youtube channel about his adventures. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same guy that Darko saw: https://www.youtube.com/@Telestations/videos

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 02:45:51 PM »

Wouldn’t it be funny if he had a video on his channel called “Odd people fishing, and getting skunked,  on the shore of Tidal Fraser”

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 03:08:33 PM »

Bumped into a fellow while fishing near Sapperton a few weeks back who was ankle-deep in the water, turning over stones. We chatted and he told me he's looking for agates and other semi-precious stones. He said he's found First Nations relics in the waterways in the past, too. He told me that he has a Youtube channel about his adventures. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same guy that Darko saw: https://www.youtube.com/@Telestations/videos

woo wee(!) , the wife and I always wanted to travel cross Canada by rail in our retirement. Now I know how we can afford it!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 07:14:55 PM »

Wouldn’t it be funny if he had a video on his channel called “Odd people fishing, and getting skunked,  on the shore of Tidal Fraser”

HAHA there's no way, that is the guy I saw there. How interesting of a story!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 09:24:11 AM »

not surprising, to me anyway.

Most of his videos are about rescuing bald eagles - I wonder if he volunteers with O.W.L. - and railways (&trains) including hoping rail cars. There is very little about rock hounding or curio searches.

a couple of times I have been in touch with OWL about injured birds of prey & participated in the rescue of a bal eagle with a broken wing and it's release over a year later. The other was a turkey Vulture. Both times I found these birds while fishing & have their contact info on my smartphone.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 11:32:31 AM by RalphH »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 11:12:50 AM »

Most of his videos are about rescuing bald eagles - I wonder if he volunteers with O.W.L. - and rainways (&trains) including hoping rail cars. There is very little about rock hounding or curio searches.

a couple of times I have been in touch with OWL about injured birds of prey & participated in the rescue of a bal eagle with a broken wing and it's release over a year later. The other was a turkey Vulture. Both times I found these birds while fishing & have their contact info on my smartphone.
never heard about them, good to know! Will add that number

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 06:56:59 PM »

Most of his videos are about rescuing bald eagles - I wonder if he volunteers with O.W.L. - and railways (&trains) including hoping rail cars. There is very little about rock hounding or curio searches.

We chatted for a few minutes and he seemed like one of those guys that has infinite stories to tell. He said that he came back to the coast this spring specifically to walk the power lines and rescue injured eagles. He told me the number of bald eagles he'd rescued in his lifetime but I forget the exact number... in the 15-20 range. He does bring them to OWL and he gave me the impression he helps with the eagle rehab in some way. Saving eagles seemed very important to him. He also had some red and black patches on his jacket for the CRRC. According to Google, it's the Canadian Rail Riders Club. The picture on the CRRC Youtube channel looks like the same guy, so that explains the train-hopping videos. The guy wears a mask in his train videos... I wonder what the penalties are for getting caught train-hopping. Does anybody know? Is it a criminal thing, or just a fine? I'm sure I could Google it, but I'd rather rely on internet hearsay ::)

At any rate, I'm sure the guy has a million interesting stories from a million places.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 07:37:21 AM »

Oh it is definitely illegal and potentially very dangerous even deadly to enter railway property or even walk with 50 feet of the rails. Crossings are only legal at specific sites and rare once you get out of settled areas. The rails themselves and the rights of way are both private property and industrial zones. Fines can be issued by the railway police - both CN and CP have their own Police force or any Police officer and can be as high as $10,000. It's not rare for people to lose their lives or limbs when doing so. I grew up in North Surrey within a couple of miles of the CN Port Mann yards. Access was pretty easy and some kids did hop cars for a thrill. While I never did, one kid did lose both his legs when he fell trying to board a moving car.

Here's an interesting youtube channel. Does anything look familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHz5IqJgns4-SMtPjIiCWZg/videos
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 07:54:32 AM by RalphH »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 08:35:32 AM »

Oh it is definitely illegal and potentially very dangerous even deadly to enter railway property or even walk with 50 feet of the rails. Crossings are only legal at specific sites and rare once you get out of settled areas. The rails themselves and the rights of way are both private property and industrial zones. Fines can be issued by the railway police - both CN and CP have their own Police force or any Police officer and can be as high as $10,000. It's not rare for people to lose their lives or limbs when doing so. I grew up in North Surrey within a couple of miles of the CN Port Mann yards. Access was pretty easy and some kids did hop cars for a thrill. While I never did, one kid did lose both his legs when he fell trying to board a moving car.

Here's an interesting youtube channel. Does anything look familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHz5IqJgns4-SMtPjIiCWZg/videos

free ride to thompson river? count me in  ;D

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 11:20:18 AM »

My nephew rode the rails during his vagabond days.

My sister in law (his aunt) ran into him at Guildford Mall. He was just off the trains and was at the mall to wash up before going home to see his folks, who lived in the area.

He is famous for his hugs and gave her a great big hug. She still laughs when she tells the story of how black he was from the dirt, and a little odiferous too.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2023, 05:34:36 PM »

LOL! Funniest thing I ever read here.