Fishing in British Columbia > General Discussion

My First centrepin

(1/5) > >>

Darko:
So I decided to pull the switch and get a centrepin reel.

After watching Petr hermans review comparing different reels I decided to purchase a centrepin off amazon. I had no problems with deficiencies at all.

Common complaints are the screws so I added some loctite, I will admit the clicker knob sometimes accidently turns on easily though maybe I will figure out a way to fix it. With the original bearings I averaged a spin time of 10-15s, I fished it a bit at the sumas practicing with no hook at the end to practice my casting. The startup was smooth and did not fail.

Since then I ordered hybrid ceramic bearing on Aliexpress for 10$ for 2. Once replacing the new bearings the new spin time is about 3 and a half minutes! The reel was 70$ and the bearings 10$. For 80$ I have a smooth functioning centrepin.

How long it will stand the test of time and fish only time will tell but I sure am excited for it.

Links from where I bought are below, I would highly recommend trying this out for yourself if you want to buy a centrepin, have some fun, be a little different or because you don't have 600$ of disposable income for one fishing reel!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NCB6376?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004146235006.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.16.33bb1802KfgH7G
7 x 14 x 5 is the bearing size

dennisK:
Good on you Darko; actually looks pretty good especially with the upgraded bearings. Does the reel feel heavy?

Oh and what rod are you using?

Darko:

--- Quote from: dennisK on March 27, 2023, 11:15:20 AM ---Good on you Darko; actually looks pretty good especially with the upgraded bearings. Does the reel feel heavy?

Oh and what rod are you using?

--- End quote ---

No it does not feel heavy, I have casted it with my rod which I will show below and it felt natural to me. Those handles are adjustable so I moved them near the bottom about 6 inches away from the butt, as was suggested to me.

DanL:
By all accounts those Amazon CP reels are surprisingly performant. Modern engineering and mfg have come a long way, especially when the bearings are doing all the important work

While I have not tried the CPs I have a number of Amazon fly reels of various quality levels and prices and you really don't have to spend too much to get some very nice feeling reels. Compared to a premier brand like Sage, they may not compare for fit/finish and attention to detail, but if I can get 95% of the performance for 20% of the price, I know what direction I'm leaning.

--- Quote from: Darko on March 25, 2023, 08:37:52 PM ---How long it will stand the test of time and fish only time will tell but I sure am excited for it.
--- End quote ---

Longevity is a fair question, but outside of occasional bearing replacement, I'll bet it will last plenty long given normal usage.

--- Quote from: Darko on March 27, 2023, 11:56:31 AM ---No it does not feel heavy, I have casted it with my rod which I will show below and it felt natural to me. Those handles are adjustable so I moved them near the bottom about 6 inches away from the butt, as was suggested to me.
--- End quote ---

Don't take that recommendation too seriously; there is no one right way to do it and you should find what works best for you and feels most comfortable. Reel placement in the local west coast style is typically quite low, but 6" sounds unusually short (depending on how you are measuring it). If you find yourself feeling fatigue or wrist pain, that could be why... If you have an adjustable reel seat (most people dont) you might as take advantage of it and experiment.

Darko:

--- Quote from: DanL on March 27, 2023, 08:55:25 PM ---By all accounts those Amazon CP reels are surprisingly performant. Modern engineering and mfg have come a long way, especially when the bearings are doing all the important work

While I have not tried the CPs I have a number of Amazon fly reels of various quality levels and prices and you really don't have to spend too much to get some very nice feeling reels. Compared to a premier brand like Sage, they may not compare for fit/finish and attention to detail, but if I can get 95% of the performance for 20% of the price, I know what direction I'm leaning.

Longevity is a fair question, but outside of occasional bearing replacement, I'll bet it will last plenty long given normal usage.

Don't take that recommendation too seriously; there is no one right way to do it and you should find what works best for you and feels most comfortable. Reel placement in the local west coast style is typically quite low, but 6" sounds unusually short (depending on how you are measuring it). If you find yourself feeling fatigue or wrist pain, that could be why... If you have an adjustable reel seat (most people dont) you might as take advantage of it and experiment.

--- End quote ---

thanks for sharing Dan, I will take your advice and experiment when i do fish it. Maybe you're right in the future I might get some spare bearings to keep if needed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version