Fishing in British Columbia > General Discussion

Spring cutthroat fishing is underway

(1/2) > >>

RalphH:
I checked out some of my long time Fraser River backwaters earlier this weekend and managed to catch a few including one that was perhaps 20 inches or a bit longer. Water was low and a bit murky but it was easy to see my wading boots in water just past my knees. The water was also still cold for the time of year. I took a measurement at about 230pm. It was 44F (6.7C) which should be about the max for the day. A variety of bugs were hatching; a few midges, a fair number of "February reds" the little stick stoneflies and the March brown mayfly. I saw no rises. All the fish were taken on a #6 3xl black flashbugger. You find the dressing here: https://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=43655.0

A few photos:

the long seams, front and back of the net are 18 inches apart & the tail extends past the back seam. This think but bright fish looks to be a mending kelt. It's good news that it spawned this winter. I caught a similar sized fish at the same spot 2 years ago.

A nice little maiden fish. Also caught a chubby 15 inch silver hen. the hook came loose in the net and she wanted to swim out. I pushed her back hoping to get a photo but I let her go on the third try.

I caught all 3 fish in this run. Challenging wading and I fished both sides as the run is 100 feet + across. I walked about 4 miles that day and covered a lot of water in about 6 hours. I checked on line and my Simms wading boots weigh 2lbs each not including the water. No wonder I feel so tired after stumbling across all those cobblestones, not to mention climbing up and down the riprap.

Darko:
great post Ralph, thank you for sharing. Once again your fly expertise is shining  8)

coastangler:
Thanks for sharing Ralph! great post and good to see those cutties looking so healthy

clarki:
I don't normally fish the Fraser, but I did last week and caught this unexpected fish. Unexpected because it was a rainbow, and a big one, to boot.

Good numbers of fry scattering as we walked the edges.

RalphH:
that's a nice rainbow.

this is a big one:

5 weight rod 32 inches - fishing for cutts with a Maria Sculpin, late March  within a couple of miles of the Agassiz Bridge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version