Fishing in British Columbia > General Discussion

dogfish

(1/2) > >>

Jelly_:
Hello! I have some questions about fishing for dogfish.

- how heavy should my mainline be? would 10 pound mono be good?

- Can i reuse some rusted swivels or is it best to get new ones?

- I have seen some people use sculpins as bait for dogfish, however, the regs says you cannot "waste any fish suitable for human consumption" with the exception of the fish guts and sardines. If using sculpin as bait is not allowed, what would you guys recommend?

- I know dogfish are more active around evening-nighttime; what about in the morning around 8-11?

Darko:

--- Quote from: Jelly_ on March 15, 2023, 01:49:40 PM ---Hello! I have some questions about fishing for dogfish.

- how heavy should my mainline be? would 10 pound mono be good?

- Can i reuse some rusted swivels or is it best to get new ones?

- I have seen some people use sculpins as bait for dogfish, however, the regs says you cannot "waste any fish suitable for human consumption" with the exception of the fish guts and sardines. If using sculpin as bait is not allowed, what would you guys recommend?

- I know dogfish are more active around evening-nighttime; what about in the morning around 8-11?

--- End quote ---

you are allowed to use baitfish in the saltwater tidal areas...

for leader use steel wire leader, sharks have sharp teeth easy to cut mono

use braid for mainline to be able to cast where you need to
fish at night in the summer, high tide is the best, when high tide and sun set are at the same time that is the perfect storm

dogfish bite on almost anything, use hook 2- 1/0

be careful of their spines dont let them sting ya

coastangler:
What Darko said - sometimes they can be quite abundant in areas people may not think are fishy. This is just an example https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/p8wmzi/found_20_sharks_in_stanley_park_this_morning/

BMo86:
Steel leader is way over kill. I've only caught dogs in. I thing more that a 30lb mono when trolling or a 10lb when dock fish for them.

Jelly_:
what bait do you use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version