Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glaciers, the salmon safety net, are disappering  (Read 3614 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Glaciers, the salmon safety net, are disappering
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2023, 02:38:25 PM »

Dave, I agree with most of your post except for the penultimate sentence. Last year I was in Iquitos in Peru and I was surprised that directly in front of a city of almost one million residents you could go out on the Amazon and catch your lunch predictably. Before Covid I was in the Galapagos and was amazed at the sheer numbers of fish and wildlife in the waters. Of course illegal fishing fleets are threatening these fish but they are still illegal fleets. A couple of years before that we visited Aitutaki in the Cook Islands and were amazed that you could catch 10 pound bonefish fairly easily. All of these places have one thing in common, there is no fishery industry. They only fish for local consumption. They haven’t removed millions of tonnes of fish to be shipped somewhere else. Instead of protecting salmon in freshwater why don’t we just stop killing them in saltwater? We complain about shipping raw logs out of province but don’t say a word about doing exactly the same with salmon. Go to the store and try and find a can of BC salmon. We gain almost no benefit from the industrial raping of our waters but we do get to pay for habitat restoration and any other attempts to mitigate the decline. The easiest way to slow the decline, in my opinion, is to stop killing salmon, halibut and herring and shipping them out of country. If you don’t remove tonnes and tonnes of fish from the environment you will have more fish.
Excellent post Gord.
And bang on!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 02:55:46 PM »

Yup, a good post Gord.  The wisest man I never met, forum handle of absolon, said years ago

"if you want to save wild salmon, stop killing them"   

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2023, 04:05:15 PM »

I don't see a shift in power or influence happening. Kids are given phones to watch brainwashing tik toks. What's so interesting is that in China (where tik tok is made) kids will be fed videos of kids learning, engineering, school, technology, while in the west kids look at people dancing, stupid pranks, half naked females.

Lots of videos on those and other enlightening topics available here. The difference is people get a choice of what they want to watch.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 06:23:16 PM »

Lots of videos on those and other enlightening topics available here. The difference is people get a choice of what they want to watch.
because kids tend to make great choices  ;D yea I wouldn't bet that kids under 12 know what's actually good for them and their future... many would argue even at 16
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 08:26:31 AM »

Well that's a down side of open societies like ours where people have choice; they won't necessarily make the best or even good ones. For kids under 12 well maybe there needs to be some direction from parents and schools. The flip side of the sort directed surveillance state they have in China is this; I was still in University when the first wave of Asian students and immigrants came from Hong Kong and the mainland. The education community (professors etc) observed that while these young people were well educated they had little initiative, were not well socialized (maybe that was due to language skills) and basically didn't do well when it was up to them to do what they had to do to succeed in the post secondary environment. At least back then University was designed to weed out young people like that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:12:42 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 10:22:17 AM »

Within the next 75 years virtually all of the Northern Hemisphere's glaciers will disappear if climate change progresses as expected. The impact on salmon stocks from Oregon to Alaska will be serious says a paper  published this past week  in the journal Science; https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abo1324

A host of streams and rivers that depend of glacier melt, particularly in our increasingly hot, dry summers will be affected as water levels drop and temperatures rise into levels that can be fatal to salmon.

The globe and Mail published a article in today's edition that looks at this particularly considering 2 BC Rivers; The Englishman near Parksville and the Squamish.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-bcs-glacier-fed-rivers-saved-salmon-in-last-years-drought-that-safety/

You may need a subscription to access these articles but here are a few excerpts from the Globe and Mail:

bad news for fish but even worse news if you live in calgary https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/rocky-mountains-could-lose-90-per-cent-of-glaciers-by-2100

byby bow river
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 10:28:52 AM by wildmanyeah »

SuperBobby

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2023, 11:53:21 AM »

@wildmanyeah

https://nypost.com/2022/11/15/sperm-counts-worldwide-have-plunged-62-in-under-50-years-study/

Do the math. Some fertility experts say that very few men will be able to get women pregnant by 2070....never mind 2100.
Of all the things mankind needs to worry about right now....glaciers are so far on the bottom of the list......
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:55:53 AM by SuperBobby »

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 11:56:07 AM »

Excellent post Gord.
And bang on!

Many of us got to see what curtaining saltwater fisheries can do via the red chinook and coho fisheries this year on the Vedder.

Fishing isn't catching

sumasriver

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 02:13:59 PM »

@wildmanyeah

https://nypost.com/2022/11/15/sperm-counts-worldwide-have-plunged-62-in-under-50-years-study/

Do the math. Some fertility experts say that very few men will be able to get women pregnant by 2070....never mind 2100.
Of all the things mankind needs to worry about right now....glaciers are so far on the bottom of the list......
The article clarifies that the fertility issue applies to western countries only.
Latinos, Middle Easterners, East Indians, Africans...don't seem to have fertility issues, judging by the large number of children they procreate.
It makes sense, though. Unwanted but very ubiquitous consequences of high living standard are laziness and complacency - leading to a myriad health related issues.
Just look at all those food delivery apps! People don't even want to grocery shop nor cook for themselves. God knows what's in the food they order on a daily basis. :o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2023, 02:43:39 PM »

Damn, we’re all doomed… time to sell my Fishing with Rod stocks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2023, 02:52:42 PM »

oh yes, a double shot latte is calling your name. Cash it in!  ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2023, 03:03:32 PM »

Actually folks the biggest risk to the planet and humanity is and  continues to be toe to toe nuclear with the Ruskies. If you haven't noticed there is an actual hot war involving that country which we is helping them lose. The biggest risk in over sixty years. BTW some have speculated that the drop in male virility in Western countries is related to the amount of synthetic estrogen women have been peeing into the water. Something to think about next time you roll over at look that special someone in the eyes. If you could wait maybe you'd still be an ape!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 04:22:54 PM by RalphH »

sumasriver

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2023, 03:11:18 PM »

Who gets to fish for B.C. salmon in the future?  Good read from todays Vancouver  Sun.

Maybe DFO is the root of the problem......

https://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/who-gets-to-fish-for-b-c-salmon-in-the-future

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »

Who gets to fish for B.C. salmon in the future?  Good read from todays Vancouver  Sun.
just read...
"The largest salmon fishery, the seine sector takes about 50 per cent of the total harvest and is already dominated by the province’s largest fish processor, Canfisco, part of the Jim Pattison Group, Thorkelson said."
they way this angers me  :-X.
Idk if what I've read is true about east asian countries aggressive fishing tactics is true and the "fishing" they're doing, but if it is then I truly don't know what to do. Just seems there's way more problems than people that care. I remember when I first watched those movies about shark finning, can't believe stuff like this isnt taught in schools. Imagine if schools inspired kids to work together to make solutions.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin