Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yukon Territory 2022  (Read 1597 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Yukon Territory 2022
« on: August 19, 2022, 11:12:10 PM »

We just returned from a trip to the Yukon Territory. This is our third time visiting the region and we absolutely love the experience each time. Last year we didn't manage to get up there due to COVID, and this trip was planned just two weeks ago and somehow we managed to pull it off thanks to Travel Yukon and Air North's support.

For this trip, we focused on the route between Whitehorse and Haines Junction/Kluane National Park. We did some Northern pike fishing during the first evening after we arrived. It didn't get dark until 10:30pm so we had plenty of fishing time. Northern pike are pretty abundant and since they are quite aggressive, it only took a few casts to catch what we wanted to eat so the fishing time was in fact quite short. Most of the fish were caught with topwater lures and the bites were explosive, making them really exciting in the video.

We spent a day fishing at Kathleen Lake in Kluane National Park. Unlike our last trip when we caught some trophy sized fish, we caugh a bunch of smaller ones which were good eating size.

I somehow got talked into climbing up King's Throne beside Kathleen Lake on the following day. The elevation of the summit is 1800m, and the elevation of the lake is around 400m. I haven't hiked or done any sporting activities in almost twenty years. You can kind of guess how that went before the video comes out in a few weeks from now.

While fishing is the main focus of these trips, we want to diversify the activities a bit in our videos. I've been really impressed by the cultural centres, museums in this region. It just seems like there is a stronger interest to showcase the history and culture of Yukon's First Nations than what's available in BC. We've already been to MacBride Museum and S.S. Klondike National Historic Site, which are must visits. This time we stopped by Da Ku Cultural Centre in Haines Junction and Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre in Whitehorse, definitely highly recommended. We've been to Beringia Interpretive Centre by the airport once already, and went back again this time, very family friendly.

Anyway, videos to come! :)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Yukon Territory 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 11:40:43 AM »

Yah, slough sharks are fun to catch. Very aggressive bites and super fun to fish for. I fish for them a lot when working in Alberta. Plenty of nice lakes in Alberta with big pike to fish without the crowds. Throw in some Walleye and you have some great days out on the water there.