Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Good Start  (Read 8304 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: A Good Start
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2024, 06:15:43 PM »

Boy, tough crowd.

Sometimes you would think that DFO is the enemy, not the poachers.

the way DFO acts i thought they were the enemy....

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 07:42:36 PM »

They are Canadian poachers that poach on both sides of the border, so yes WDFW pressures DFO to do something about it

get it?

No, I don’t get why WFDW would pressure DFO to remove ghost traps in Canadian waters to address poaching in US waters.
But if you get it, then that’s all that matters

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2024, 09:06:19 PM »

That’s okay just give me your give me your fishing rod it sounds like you don’t need it to fish
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 09:49:10 PM by wildmanyeah »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2024, 09:52:11 PM »

That’s okay just give me your give me your fishing rod sounds like you don’t need it to fish

I saw your post before the edit. Yes, I am being serious and not a troll.

But now I'm confused...should I be using my fishing rod for crab. You really are a mystery, WMY :)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2024, 09:55:46 PM »

Do you only fish in one spot and use a different fishing rod every time

Someone told me once that fish don’t recognize international boarders but maybe crab do
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 10:05:22 PM by wildmanyeah »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2024, 10:55:59 PM »

Do you only fish in one spot and use a different fishing rod every time

Someone told me once that fish don’t recognize international boarders but maybe crab do

Well, that “someone” is a smart person!

I totally get that line of thinking, and that’s what I thought maybe you meant. Of course the US and Canada have shared interest in Boundary Bay crab fishing regulations compliance.

I just didn’t, and still don’t, get the relationship that you alluded to between ghost traps in Canadian waters and Canadian poachers in US waters and why WDFW would insist on one because of the other.

I may be thick in the head. I mean like 228% thick 😉

Cheers

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2024, 11:28:14 PM »

Well, that “someone” is a smart person!

I just didn’t, and still don’t, get the relationship that you alluded to between ghost traps in Canadian waters and Canadian poachers in US waters and why WDFW would insist on one because of the other.

Because they fish on both side of the boarder, if they only have 50 traps and they get seized when Fishing the Canadian side then they have none when they go to fish the American side. If Their gear is getting sized on both side then perhaps the opportunity cost becomes not worth it.

They are following the crabs around where the best fishing is or moving when they have fished out an area.

Ghost traps are not abandoned gear its gear that has no float that the traps are all tied together in a line and when the poachers go to retrieve it they drag a hook.

If you have no gear you can’t fish

The US pressures Canada to take enforcement action some of that is sizing gear so it can’t be used to fish on their side.

I tried to use the fishing rod analogy to imply you can’t fish if you don’t have a rod but it appears I failed 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:44:27 PM by wildmanyeah »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 01:14:32 PM »

Thanks, that clears it up for me.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 01:47:47 PM »

Maybe you can get Trump to build a wall.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2024, 08:31:18 PM »

This past weekend we were having very good friends over for a dinner party. My wife wanted serve crab cakes as an appetizer. She asked at the local F.I.S.H. store about crab meat. They don't carry it anymore as the cost is $90 a pound. I think that alone tells you why organized crime is involved in the illegal crab fishery.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2024, 06:10:37 AM »

$90/lb holy guacamole ! In the early eighties my dad owned a small commercial crab boat based out of Ladner and I can’t recall the price per pound he got for the crab but I do recall the first summer I was a deckhand on his boat I got $100/day. That was 1980.