Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders  (Read 3154 times)

booters

Waders
« on: September 17, 2021, 11:36:47 AM »

New to the Canal fishing. My problem now is i dont have chest waders,just hip, Watching the fishers all have chest in order to get out aways. Anyhow wait till end of month pension cheques The high end sets ie are good, Simms however little pricy for me. Any suggestions for cheaper, good quality set of chest waders would be appreciated and where to buy
Thanks

stsfisher

Re: Waders
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »

Hip boots will do the job, but have a look at the Frog Togg waders on Amazon if you are wanting to by decent, low budget waders.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 09:04:45 PM »

Hip boots will do the job, but have a look at the Frog Togg waders on Amazon if you are wanting to by decent, low budget waders.

X2

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 03:27:37 PM »

I have some Bare neoprene waders you can have for $30.  I have had them for some years but not used them recently.  They didn’t leak the last time I used them.

I don’t see any size information but I am 5’ 10”, medium to slim and they seem about right for me.

I am in Richmond.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 09:17:23 PM »

Before neoprene waders we’re invented we wore rubber waders and put a wool sock over each boot for grip on the slippery rocks. Waders have come a long way since those days. Lol

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 12:22:02 AM »

Waders .. sigh .. just went through this ... they're a necessity, but be prepared because it's a not a matter of if, but when they'll start leaking. I only have experience with the breathable waders, not neoprene. So don't have an opinion on their relative merits, but get whatever leaves you dry and comfortable. It's worth it.

My first two $100 ish pairs lasted 3-4 years each (LL Bean Ultralight and Frogg Toggs HellBenders) , moderate use, which I thought were very good value. My last pair of Hellbender IIs lasted basically one season, then the seams blew. Friend of mine who bought same waders at same time had his seams fail at the same place, so could just be a bad batch. Luckily, they always failed during the beginning of pink season when it was warm and not in the middle of Oct.

Pin holes, and hooks etc, are easy to repair on breathables, so when people have "terminal" wader issues it's when seams fail, from what i gather. Expensive Simms and Patagonia waders will likely fail at the seams eventually as well, I'd say buy the inexpensive ones. Despite my experience with the current Frogg Toggs, they are well designed, look and fit nice, I'd give them a try. The price is right (maybe don't get the Hellbender IIs).

You can always wait for a sale or when you're flush, get a pair of Simms G3s (higher end Simms) or something later, because having a backup pair isn't a bad idea.

Whatever you buy, keep the receipt and use a credit card that doubles the manufacturers warranty. Keep proof of the warranty. Then you have at least 2 years, no matter what you buy if the seams blow.

I went with a pair of Redington Pro HD waders. They're a little under half the cost of G3s, but I was really considering just going with the Frogg Toggs at 1/6th the price again. Had a bit of extra money and thought I'd give it a go, fingers crossed. Good luck.

4x4

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 07:09:26 AM »

In the canal you don't need chest waders unless the river has come up after rain and even then know one should be wading in water that deep.
To many fishers go to far into the river. You don't need to especially early morning. Many time fish are travelling or holding in the water people are standing in.
Stand on the shore and cast. Avoid walking to far into the water you will catch plenty of fish.

96XJ

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 08:42:36 AM »

I think all waders should be sold with a tube of aquaseal included , my current Hodgman H5 waders leaked after a couple of years , totally expected and not unhappy about it , I’ve used 1 tube of aquaseal so far on them , after I use 2 tubes or so I’ll start shopping for another wader

I say get whatever you can afford and with whatever pocket options you like - I like the big front pocket on my H5 for a small lure box , I also like the front zipper that some waders have but can’t justify the cost

redside1

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 09:07:45 AM »

one thing about breathable waders is the Fit is everything. Not all waders fit the same. Different sizing by different makers.
I have had low end waders that fit me well last for many years and expensive waders last only a few days because the fit was wrong.

Something to also think about is a guy can get 3 pair of $200 waders for every pair of $600 waders and be on factory warranty much longer if issues come up. Depending on how much a guy fishes and how well they take care of their equipment, the experience will vary.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 06:35:40 PM »

Ideally, you will have two pairs, one to use regularly, one for backup at home in case the regular pair need warranty or professional repair.
Carry a tube of Aquaseal UV on you for those unforeseeable accidents with hooks and such and you are golden.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »

In the canal you don't need chest waders unless the river has come up after rain and even then know one should be wading in water that deep.
To many fishers go to far into the river. You don't need to especially early morning. Many time fish are travelling or holding in the water people are standing in.
Stand on the shore and cast. Avoid walking to far into the water you will catch plenty of fish.

So true Dennis. I've been preaching it to so many people out there this season. Some get it right away (the ones with brains and common sense), but there are always a few bozos there who don't get it. They think because they have chest waders, they have to stand at least hip deep in the drink.  ::)

booters

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 03:09:39 PM »

got new set of orvis chest waeders Needed ,Deal NO never got a deal in my life Lifes too short to squabble about deals Im happy now  F it

Winston Air

• Feather and fur slinger in the whack!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 11:47:08 AM »

All breathable waders eventually leak  :'( - that's a fact of life - so decide early on how long you expect the waders to last - and then spend accortdingly!
I have chucked feathers and fur at Tigers in the Zambezi, Kelts on the River Dee and Steelhead in BC - I'm proud to be an African-Canadian!