Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you approve of a Mandatory vaccine for all Canadian citizens?

Yes I will support a mandatory vaccine mandate
- 8 (28.6%)
No I will not support a Mandatory vaccine
- 20 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: April 29, 2021, 09:01:54 AM

Author Topic: Do you approve of a Mandatory Vaccine?  (Read 4530 times)

kosanin kosher salt

Do you approve of a Mandatory Vaccine?
« on: April 20, 2021, 09:01:54 AM »

Where do you stand?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Do you approve of a Mandatory Vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:15:30 AM »

I think everyone needs to get a vaccine but not that it should be mandatory. That's too intrusive. Most available data indicates that about 3/4 of Canadians are willing to get a vaccine. In a Angus Reid study published last March 66% of Canadians indicated they will get a vaccine asap.   If that level of vaccination is achieved, Public Health Officials think that more than a enough to break the cycle of infection and establish herd immunity.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vaccine-poll-hesitancy-dropping-1.5940400

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45-28-0001/2021001/article/00011-eng.htm

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 12:13:52 PM »

Mandatory means that the government mandates that everyone is vaccinated. I haven't heard anyone suggest this is an option except conspiracy theorists.
Obviously it makes no sense.
Those that choose not to get vaccinated will be limited in what they can do and where they can go to prevent spread to those that have compromised immunity or cannot be vaccinated.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 12:22:37 PM »

Those that choose not to get vaccinated will be limited in what they can do

is that not sorta kinda making it mandatory but not making it mandatory lol

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »

is that not sorta kinda making it mandatory but not making it mandatory lol

Absolutely not. You absolutely have the right to not be part of normal society by not getting vaccinated.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »

In effect we may see a reverse approach on the part of people seeking employment, contract work, trades people doing business, students and so on that actually provide proof of vaccination including boosters and periodic updates without being askesd. It will be seen as something that distinguishes truly qualified people from those less so.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 03:52:39 PM »

I expect that when the border does re-open, my family will have to show proof of vaccination to be admitted to Canada.

longrifle

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 07:46:58 AM »

You guys seem to be forgetting that the government works for you, and that it is the people whom have the 'power' to apprise the government of their wishes. Having the courage to do just that however is another matter...

'rifle

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 10:03:25 AM »

I would only support mandatory vaccination if the government made it mandatory that everyone has a BMI of less than 25, this would benefit society far more than vaccination.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »

I would only support mandatory vaccination if the government made it mandatory that everyone has a BMI of less than 25, this would benefit society far more than vaccination.

CDC stats indicate that the best outcomes for people who contract Covid are those with a BMI of about 25 (give or take) and the worst with BMIs in the obese range. This doesn't mean it is the most significant factor by any means. It also states nothing about the relationship about BMI and age - and you can guess that one.

Overall your proposal doesn't seem to have a lot of  contained logic. Should people who develop covid but put on crash diet? It seems like another attempt to deny the seriousness of the outbreak and to promote quackery. Now where's mu Lysol? Time for a drink!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 08:58:49 PM »

R we talking about making them all mandatory or just covid.

zap brannigan

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 10:57:49 PM »

absolutely not.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 12:16:13 PM »

@wildmanyeah   - only Covid.    If one chooses not to should he/she be exempt from the Canadian charter of Rights and Freedoms

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 12:29:50 PM »

CDC stats indicate that the best outcomes for people who contract Covid are those with a BMI of about 25 (give or take) and the worst with BMIs in the obese range. This doesn't mean it is the most significant factor by any means. It also states nothing about the relationship about BMI and age - and you can guess that one.

Overall your proposal doesn't seem to have a lot of  contained logic. Should people who develop covid but put on crash diet? It seems like another attempt to deny the seriousness of the outbreak and to promote quackery. Now where's mu Lysol? Time for a drink!

The logic is clear to me. A BMI >25 is considered overweight and >30 is obese.  You agree that COVID outcomes are worst for obese individuals.  Therefore, it would be logical that overweight individual are also likely to be at higher risk than a "normal" weight individual?  While weight or BMI is not the only or most significant factor, it is a good surrogate for numerous health based factors, which are also associated with increased age.  So there is no quackery involved, just a possible inability to follow logic.

Excess weight is a very good indicator of metabolic health and the condition of the immune system.  I do not have figures for Canada, but in the US, only 12% of the population is considered to be metabolically healthy (based on an assessment of BMI, insulin resistance, CRP, blood sugar, HDL/triglyceride ratio) and I am sure Canadians are not too far behind.  This is why comorbidities such as obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome along with age are the most significant factors in severity of COVID outcome, as clearly establish by numerous research papers.  Suggesting crash diets when someone gets infected is like slamming the stable doors shut after the horse has bolted.  However, promoting and improving peoples health by reducing obesity, diabetes, inflammation etc and normalizing hormone, vitamin and mineral levels (particularly Mg, Vitamin D and Zn) prior to infection would have a profound beneficial impact on the heath care system and not just in a reduction in COVID severity.

I have been vaccinated, strongly believe that it is the most effective and speedy way of achieving herd immunity, but I would never support mandatory vaccination.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 10:03:23 PM »

KNN - it's called "Fat Shaming". It may help MDs identify who is obese or underweight but it it is a simplistic formula derived almost 200 years ago:

How useful is the BMI:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/255712

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/6/11377158/bmi-flaws-tessa-embry

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/bmi/bmi-flaws-history-other-ways-measure-body-weight/

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/bmi-drawbacks-and-other-measurements#1

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-bmi-an-accurate-way-to-measure-body-fat/

BTW I am 6'1" & weigh 188. Share your own!

as I asked - do you proposed putting obsese people on a crash diet when they have covid and are in the ICU?