Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailering a Spratley Boat.  (Read 2596 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Trailering a Spratley Boat.
« on: February 26, 2021, 11:36:33 PM »

So I saved up a bunch of money and poured it into a 12 foot spratley boat last year.  It was just before the end of the fishing season but I had the money and one was available so I bought it.  I literally rented a Uhaul and brought it home.  I didn’t worry because boat trailers are available and I could find something..... or could I. 

I have done some research and a lot of people complain about the trailer damaging the bow with the front of the bow hitting the trailer on bumps.  I decided I was going to spend some money and buy a propert trailer. Get it all done proper. 

Well what a headache

One of the trailer has places told me I should get a bow hook welded on... well wtf. That’s weird. Why didn’t they put on on when making it.  So do I just go to a metal shop and say weld me on a loop here ?

Then the trailers are interesting.  I went to GA Yamaha today and they were pushing a Karavan 1250.  I have had pizzas bigger than the tires on the trailer.  I am sure this thing is going to get its butt kicked on the gravel roads. 

Also then when I asked other places what trailer I should get I received a bunch of “you should be fine with this one” answers.  For the love of god can someone not just help. 

I asked if I needed to buy a jon boat kit and I get the “well ya I guess you could” answers

So what do I do?  Does anyone have any suggestions. Does anyone maybe know someone that could make a custom trailer that welds and maybe can build me something better than the bunk trailer?  Or does anyone have a specific model they used and is tried and true. 

It’s very frustrating because nobody seems to know the answer...
see ya on the river

chironomidking

Re: Trailering a Spratley Boat.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 08:14:33 AM »

Have you given these folks a call?

https://gpboats.com/

I have heard that they have provided a decent trailer for the Spratley in the past.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 08:55:28 AM »

I haven't but will give them a call
see ya on the river

Outbound

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »

I've been looking for a trailer for my Lowe 1240 and have run into similar issues as you. Either the trailer isn't properly set up for a jonboat or it's really chintzy and I don't have much faith it'll hold up to being beat on. I'm at the point where I'm about ready to just build my own. Boat trailers are a pretty simple design when you think about it.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 11:56:38 AM »

Outbound. Let's keep each other updated. 

If any welders are on here and want to chat let me know
see ya on the river

Outbound

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 06:54:20 PM »

Outbound. Let's keep each other updated. 

If any welders are on here and want to chat let me know

Will do. I'm actually a welder by trade, I just don't have a set up at home nor the time to tackle the project these days. If/when I actually get something done up, I'll let you know.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 07:11:36 PM »

One thing to look pit for when trailering a super loght boat like a jon is the super stiff suspension. The leaf springs on most small trailers are waaaaaaaaaaaay to stiff. That trailer will bounce up and down and side to side. I know because I went thru this same situation. I took my brand new Shore Lander to Abby spring and had some lighter leafs put on. Even with my current boat the wet weight is 1400 pounds and the trailers STILL is stiff as heck. I removed a small leaf and it's no better.

That's one thing to look out for.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 08:54:27 AM »

You should be able to use any used trailer the correct size for the boat. Just flatten the bunks or remove them and put longer wood on, and buy some scrap carpet from end of the roll to cover.
You can get u bolts custom made at any spring and axle shop.
My old 12’ Lund just had an eye bolt made for boats to hook the winch to. Steveston Marine would have that and all sorts of other stuff to set the trailer up properly for cheap.

Very important that you re pack your bearings every year. Keep a spare set of bearings packed with grease in a zip lock bag under the seat of your truck or somewhere you will have them. Bearings can be replaced on the side of the road quite easily. Repackinf bearings is much easier then driving out destroyed bearing races.
I get my trailer gear from Pacific spring and axle in Langley. The parts guy knows his stuff.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »

Princess Auto also has lots of trailer stuff.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 09:04:55 AM »

Just my 2 cents, but one should not have to weld extra stuff on a Spratley just to be able to tow it. If anything, I would mod the trailer, not the boat.

The typical bow rollers may not fit that well on a flat bottom jon, but there are accessories for trailers that provide flat bow support for jons (you can google it for ideas). Once you have that, use the front and rear handles to secure prevent sliding forward/back, and strap it down (not too tight) at a couple points across the gunnels. If it's properly positioned on the bunks, it doesnt take much to secure it well.

I have done some research and a lot of people complain about the trailer damaging the bow with the front of the bow hitting the trailer on bumps.

Not sure whats going on here but it sounds like a combo of 1) no bow support, 2) poorly secured, 3) going too fast.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 09:04:03 PM »

Has anyone contacted Spratley and asked them ?

You would think they would know what the trailer set-up would be.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 10:57:20 PM »

Spratley as in the manufacturer.... I asked and they said buy a good quality trailer....

I spoke to tackle shops that sell the trailer and everyone is saying .... " um ya... I think its fine on a trailer... call a trailer store."
see ya on the river

bunnta

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 04:45:36 PM »

Welding a hook eye is not a big deal. Any boat shop or fab shop can get it done for you as long they know how to deal with aluminum. I've welded a eye hook for on my friends project boat. Buy one that are weldable, they are usually cast aluminum and i was suprised how well it welded. If your asking me to weld, unfortunately i don't have a welding set up at home. I personally think your over thinking it, properly secured boat to the trailer is fine, like danL said u can modify the trailer if needed. Welding an eye hook will cost you an hour of welding at max and hauling the boat shop and back if you dont have a trailer yet.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 04:50:04 PM by bunnta »

redside1

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 05:17:30 PM »

look at the Facebook Stillwaters group. Lots of guys there trailer Spratley's. I know one that does for sure. He never mentioned any issues getting a trailer and towing his 12' boat around.

Start a thread on there asking to see everyone's setup. Should quickly solve your issue I would think
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:20:54 PM by redside1 »

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »

what is the Facebook stilwaters group?
see ya on the river