Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: British Columbia COVID - 19 Immunization Plan & Registration:  (Read 61170 times)

Roderick

Re: British Columbia COVID - 19 Immunization Plan & Registration:
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2022, 04:02:30 PM »

The whole idea of getting the vaccine is to get the body to produce antibodies (and B and T cells) to the virus without actually being infected. 

When an unvaccinated person is infected, the body will produce antibodies to the virus, but it takes awhile.  In the meantime the virus replicates unimpeded, perhaps causing severe infection.  It's kind of a race between the immune system and the virus.  After two shots, antibody levels are high and any virus that enters the body is (hopefully) attacked by the antibodies so that it can't replicate. 

After a few months the body slows and eventually stops producing those antibodies.  Why waste energy making antibodies to a virus that's not there? However, the body "remembers" having made those antibodies before by producing "memory B cells".  These cells contain instructions for making those specific antibodies.  The body's reaction time to the virus is much faster then an unvaccinated person, and the infection is usually mild.  A third shot causes the body to start making antibodies again.

Now omicron has quite a few changes (32 in the spike protein alone) compared to both the original variant and the vaccine.  Only a small percentage of the antibodies to the vaccine attack omicron. Apparently if you are freshly boosted and your antibody levels are high, that small percentage is often enough to prevent illness.  If it has been a few months, you still get the fast reaction time from the memory B cells, and illness is mild. 

Getting infected with omicron does the same thing as getting a booster.  The body ramps up antibody production.  In fact, for the long term, a mild omicron infection is better because the new antibodies (and B and T cells) are specific for omicron. 

So if you are vaccinated and have had a confirmed (by test) mild case of omicron, your antibody levels will remain high for a few months and you don't need an immediate booster. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 04:24:08 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Roderick

« Reply #331 on: January 29, 2022, 04:10:42 PM »

As an aside, I read about an unvaccinated woman who purposefully got herself infected so she could could have "natural immunity".  Sadly she passed away. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2022, 05:13:22 PM »

Surprise no one mentioning the trucker protest convoy. I just noticed it in passing. So this a protest by unvaccinated truckers who don't want to get vaccinated? Isn't that the same as an anti-vaxx protest that happens to be by one particular group.

My buddy in Montreal is a trucker and he got vaxxed as soon as he could. Last year he made about $160k. I kid you not. Nice gig.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 05:25:26 PM by dennisK »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #333 on: January 31, 2022, 09:55:47 AM »

It started as a trucker protest, but has grown leaps and bounds beyond that now.
And btw, the majority of those involved are vaccinated.

Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #334 on: January 31, 2022, 10:35:02 AM »

the various trucker associations (employer based) say most truckers are vaccinated - on the order of 90%. I have seen no reliable information on what % of the various people involved in the Freedom convoy protests are vaccinated.

It was well known the border crossing vaccine mandate was coming. It's been in place for virtually all other travelers for some time. It was also coordinated between the 2 Federal Governments. People in other occupations have lost their jobs because they refused to get a vaccine when required.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2022, 12:22:05 PM »

The protesters want choice... thankfully they have a choice. They just don't like the consequences that come with making the choice not to get vaccinated. It's surprising to me which hills some people choose to die on.

In other news, everyone in our house is sick with COVID now. Our kid, Little Citrus, brought it home from daycare and my wife and I are both sick now too. We've both had three shots, and so far it's been a drag but not serious. Little Citrus is too young for the vaccines. LC had one bad day with puking and fever (apparently that's a common first sign of Omicron in younger kids) but has been pretty well otherwise.

Going to try not going crazy, being cooped up inside with a toddler for the next week ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2022, 12:29:28 PM »

Going to try not going crazy, being cooped up inside with a toddler for the next week ::)

What's worse, cooped up inside with a toddler or having Omicron? ;)

Get well soon.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #337 on: January 31, 2022, 01:28:30 PM »

Hope all of you get well soon Blood Orange - especially "Little Citrus"  :D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #338 on: January 31, 2022, 01:59:03 PM »

What's worse, cooped up inside with a toddler or having Omicron? ;)
Why not both? :P

Thanks Rod and Ralph, we're lucky to have mild cases so far. Our daycare had five confirmed cases in the last 48 hours (including ours). Crazy how fast it's spreading.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »

All the best and speedy recovery to the Bloody Oranges fam!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #340 on: January 31, 2022, 03:45:25 PM »

my cousin is triple vaccinated and infected for the second time in 6 months.  My in laws have now also had it, 1/3 of my work now has had it.  all this spread has happened between vaccinated to vaccinated.

most were sick for about 3 days, but a few had symptoms a bit longer.

the good part is you only have to isolate for 5 days now from the first day you had symptoms so most people are back to work in no time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:49:29 PM by wildmanyeah »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2022, 04:49:51 PM »

my cousin is triple vaccinated and infected for the second time in 6 months.  My in laws have now also had it, 1/3 of my work now has had it.  all this spread has happened between vaccinated to vaccinated.

most were sick for about 3 days, but a few had symptoms a bit longer.

the good part is you only have to isolate for 5 days now from the first day you had symptoms so most people are back to work in no time.

Sounds like the current variant/vaccine matchup will keep you out of hospital but not prevent infection. Pretty rough getting it twice in six months though...

If symptoms only last three or four days then I'll be happy with that. Most of my concern is towards the kiddo who isn't vaccinated. Our daycare had five confirmed cases (including ours) in the last 48 hours. One of the other daycare kids developed pneumonia and was taken to Children's Hospital yesterday. Haven't heard anything more but hopefully they're back home now.

A good chunk of my family is sick right now and they all got it from different places. The common thread is school/daycare transmission, though.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2022, 05:47:10 PM »

I got Covid on or about December 30. Amounted to a bad head cold. Only difference was the the fatigue was much worse and still lingering. Hid in my bedroom for five days and wore mask in the house for a further five days. No one else in my house got sick.