Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dick Nites for Steelhead  (Read 6799 times)

redside1

Re: Dick Nites for Steelhead
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 07:37:13 AM »

What brand makes #8 or 6 open eye siwash?

Gamakatsu. Sizes 8 & 6 are available in the BC market place.
look for these model#'s
Gamakatsu 10006 Siwash Hook, Size 8 Needle Point, All Purpose, Open Eye Nickel, 10 per Pack
Gamakatsu 10007 Siwash Hook, Size 6 Needle Point, All Purpose, Open Eye Nickel, 10 per Pack

redside1

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 07:38:45 AM »

I've got 2 stamped as "Wee Dick Nite" which are approaching to 1/2 the size of the #1. Not sure that corresponds to the 0 size or not.

yes, "Wee" dick nites are size 0.

redside1

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 07:42:41 AM »

If interested in a comparable product (from a Canadian company), consider the Gibbs Mini G. Although I have not used it for steelhead, I fish the G3 size often, with ultralight spinning gear, for cutthroat. They dig it.

The Mini G comes with welded rings top and bottom and I swap out the hook for a #6 open eye siwash gammie.

Mini G's are copies of Dick Nites. They come in a size 1, 2 & 3 which are comparable to the Dick Nite 0, 1 & 2.
Mini G's have some unique colour finishes that are not available on Dick Nites while Dick Nites have a pretty extensive colour selection available.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 10:28:26 AM »

I think I bought a couple of the Gibbs Mini Gs some years back and as I recall they didn't have a comparable action. Ditto with the Li'l Shavers. I thought the D Nites had better action at slow speeds. They are very popular with Kokanee anglers in the US. Of course the right action is going to depend on circumstances.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 11:20:32 AM »

I think I bought a couple of the Gibbs Mini Gs some years back and as I recall they didn't have a comparable action. Ditto with the Li'l Shavers. I thought the D Nites had better action at slow speeds. They are very popular with Kokanee anglers in the US. Of course the right action is going to depend on circumstances.
They are also many Washington angler's top choice for pinks - especially on the Skagit and Snohomish rivers.  In 2001, a 14.5 lb pink (then a world record) was caught on a 50/50 dick nite in the Skykomish river (tributary of the Snohomish).  Google "humpzilla" for pics of that dinner plate.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 11:22:32 AM »

They are also many Washington angler's top choice for pinks - especially on the Skagit and Snohomish rivers.  In 2001, a 14.5 lb pink (then a world record) was caught on a 50/50 dick nite in the Skykomish river (tributary of the Snohomish).  Google "humpzilla" for pics of that dinner plate.
After years of trying to figure out the best lure/fly for pinks dick nites imo are on top. Very surprised they havent caught on here in BC like they have in the states

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 09:47:31 PM »

If your under 18 you might not want to google image search humpzilla like I just did lol. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:54:08 PM by bigblockfox »

redside1

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 02:08:23 PM »

After years of trying to figure out the best lure/fly for pinks dick nites imo are on top. Very surprised they havent caught on here in BC like they have in the states
they are mainly sold into lake trolling trout fisheries in the interior of BC.
under utilized clear water coho spoon in BC for sure

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »

If your under 18 you might not want to google image search humpzilla like I just did lol.
Oh jeeze, that didn't even occur to me.  Here's the clean link: https://www.gamefishin.com/wa/features/humpzilla.php

danielk

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2021, 07:19:04 PM »

That’s a massive pink. Crazy   Well good bye to that bloodline

lapa

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 11:32:43 AM »

There are way more productive colors for pinks then 50/50  ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:34:25 AM by lapa »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:49 PM »

There are way more productive colors for pinks then 50/50  ;)
I've found it is very specific to the river you are fishing.  50/50 is the best I have found on the Snohomish system, but pinks the greens do better in the Skagit and Nooksack.