Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NFR: Mushroom foraging  (Read 5110 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
NFR: Mushroom foraging
« on: October 27, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »

I started producing foraging video content lately since that's something Kitty is obsessed with in the fall with Dan (Everyday), and it's also pretty fascinating. Last weekend I had a go at it with them and finally figured out a couple of species which I can pick. Funny thing was I had a year of schooling of mycology and dendrology back at UBC over twenty years but can't remember a single thing from it, so relearning everything now in the wild. Here is a video I just published for Kitty which she filmed a few weeks ago. Anyone else picks here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whcwn4QkWkw

essyoo

Re: NFR: Mushroom foraging
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 01:52:12 PM »

I haven't tried foraging before but watching this video makes me want to learn more. I don't think I've ever even eaten a chantrelle before.

Are there good opportunities in the lower mainland for mushroom foraging?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:14:48 PM »

Ive been mushroom hunting for about 5 years, including leading guided forays with groups and selling (just kidding CRA) tons of chanterelles. Summer and fall in the Lower Mainland and mountains is amazing for mushrooms. Its amazing exercise, last fall I got down to my high school weight going picking after work every day lol. They taste amazing smell amazing and are so fascinating to try to ID, find cook and preserve. Lots in Chilliwack out towards the lake, pines and chanterelles but lots of pickers, Ive never been out there for that but i know some who go and its heavily picked. My last big pick was 18 lb of chanterelles just near Mission, and tones of King Boletes (porcini) befre it got cold. My fridge is always loaded with mushrooms and salmon this time of year lol and not much else~

essyoo

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:30:13 PM »

Just found this great video from the fishing doctor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI_O4jHxmv8

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 11:41:20 PM »

I haven't tried foraging before but watching this video makes me want to learn more. I don't think I've ever even eaten a chantrelle before.

I'll have to get Dan/Everyday on the forum to answer this.

RossP

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 09:51:05 PM »

Love mushrooms, always wanted to do a foraging course on shrooms. One day it will happen.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 10:44:58 PM »

I find the lower mainland to be fantastic for certain mushrooms and not so good for others. I honestly haven't had a ton of luck on chantrelles, but I haven't put any effort in on them. When I'm out here I focus on morels in spring, king boletes in summer and pines in the fall.

If you're wanting to try for chantrelles, the forests along the sides of chilliwack lake road up near the prison look nice. The forests all along the gravel road beside Harrison lake also look good (the whole area around grace lake looks fantastic). I haven't had time to poke in there though, so no guarantees.

jacked55

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 08:31:04 AM »

Im certain if there were some foraging guides for the local area there would be a market for it. It is a fascinating hobby. Perhaps your next business venture Rod?

danielk

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »

I found lots up norish. We hiked up the river almost to the lake but we couldn’t get past a water fall and canyon   When we walked out we Bush wacked and there was king porcini Everywhere. and a few different  species

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 07:55:21 PM »

I found lots up norish. We hiked up the river almost to the lake but we couldn’t get past a water fall and canyon   When we walked out we Bush wacked and there was king porcini Everywhere. and a few different  species

kp..? those look like bolete?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »

Do you have any photos of them? It's quite rare to find king boletes at lower elevations, and they are almost always associated with spruce trees only. Pretty cool if you found a good patch of those. They are hard to time right, they get buggy real fast. If you can time them right, they can be a good money crop.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »

Here's another mushroom video from Kitty. I happened to be on the island visiting when they found all of these so she did an overview of nine different species. I'll let Dan answer all the questions you have on them. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRy2cvR1SLo

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 08:39:31 PM »

One more foraging episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22QVORssqZc

Golden chanterelles, lobster mushrooms, winter chanterelles, angel wings....

danielk

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »

Sorry for the late reply    I’m not 100% sure if they were Porcini.  Just looked like them.   But there were some red top  ones also. I didn’t take any pics. Or pic them.  I’ve only seen them in books and videos so I’m not going to pick them unless I was with someone that 100% knows them. We were in a spruce forest    We hiked a few  km past the gate up the creek I’m sure our elevation was high   I picked one with a light cap.  And it didn’t bruise blue.    But I left it.     I would gladly walk back up there with someone next August.   And show them.   It’s a bit of a hike.  But the river is a nice place to take breaks and cool down

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 10:47:40 PM »

Your timing and the forest type sound correct. I have found them as low as 300m, it just isn't overly common. They are typically a very high alpine species 1000+m. Kings are incredibly hard to time right. The bugs love them and they get destroyed rather quickly. You pretty much need to be there around 3 days post rain to grab the buttons, or a good 80% of them will be completely hollowed out. That's a cool find though, they are one species I haven't quite figured out yet, and doubt I ever will with their very specific timing.