Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: seaguar blue label; i'm quitting.  (Read 7689 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: seaguar blue label; i'm quitting.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 08:18:54 AM »

@dennisk - what rod are you using. I find that if I use a rod that is rated quite heavy (e.g. Shimano Technium), there is a higher risk of breaking off lighter leader. I observed this fishing for springs in the summer where I found that 10 lb Seaguar would break easily if I'm not careful, while with 12 lb, I can really put the boots to the fish. On the other hand, with my Sage 2106 (which has a much lighter tip than the Technium), I can easily land 10+ lb coho on 8 lb flurocarbon.

I'm still leaning toward checking your knots, but the rod can be a factor.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »

@dennisk - what rod are you using. I find that if I use a rod that is rated quite heavy (e.g. Shimano Technium), there is a higher risk of breaking off lighter leader. I observed this fishing for springs in the summer where I found that 10 lb Seaguar would break easily if I'm not careful, while with 12 lb, I can really put the boots to the fish. On the other hand, with my Sage 2106 (which has a much lighter tip than the Technium), I can easily land 10+ lb coho on 8 lb flurocarbon.

Hi

I'm using a med rod so that also adds to the factor for sure...I totally forgot about that aspect of the equation....But in retrospect i was fishing in a rocky shallow area so it's possible that also had something to do with the breakage. I still am going back to mono leaders/ All things being equal I think fluro does not suit my type of fishing... thanks

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »

easy solution is to step up your leader material. i dont understand the mentality of running such light leaders. 12 to 15 # flouro is the same diameter as 8 to 10 # mono.

i have that same 2106 and if you hook into a 10+ coho in current their is no way your putting on the brakes on 8lb leader. i do agree that rod choice makes a huge factor. meat stick = stronger leaders.

ultra green is great for a main line but not my first choice for leader material in a river. i do use it for leader material in the salt though but thats 25lb test.

all my drift rods run 20 # ultra green main. 15 # flouro leader for springs and steelhead. 12 # flouro leader for coho. 10 # flouro leader for bull trout and trout in a river setting.

spining rods 20 # braid and 15 # flouro or mono leader for salmon steelhead. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »

Fought an 60 pound seal for 30 mins with 40 pound seaguar fluoro, worked great until my rod exploded into two pieces.  The 40 pound ultra green main line snapped shortly after

kept on having breaks offs and saw off with 40 pound ultree green mono on big chinook, when i switched to fluror never had it happened again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:36:49 AM by wildmanyeah »

randya

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »

You could google a San Diego Jam knot, unbeatable for flouro including large tuna etc.
Learned that on large tuna boats out of SAN Diego. Works for all scenarios.

Redduffin

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »

As stated above if your running 10 lb leader and your rod is rated 15-25lb you’ll break off everytime.
Stay within the rod specs and you’ll be fine.
Also if you leave your florocarbon leader in the sun, this will weaken it

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 10:49:34 PM »

I have used Maxima Ultragreen for 40 yrs. The best by test.  8)

jackster

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 02:14:22 PM »

Step up your leader material as others have said.
For river fishing I stay with Maxima UG. Low water steelheading, fluorocarbon.
Nobody wants to watch you fight a chum for 15 mins, worst yet on a paw and click.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »

Maxima UG is traaaaaash

Smart people provide arguments for statements such as the above.
Care to elaborate?

FWIW, Maxima UG is slightly on the thicker side of the mono family, but by golly, it sure holds its rated test and then some!
I only wish it was cheaper.

avid angler

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 06:16:13 AM »

Ultragreen gets less bites and breaks way easier then yellow label seaguar. Literally seen fish spooked fish not touch the exact same bait in the exact same pocket when fished side by side with no other differences in the setup. I used to only use ultragreen and after switching to yellow label I will never, ever go back to UG for leaders. Literally every angler I know who fishes hard has made the same switch.
Sincerely, A person who actually river fishes every day.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 09:48:43 AM »

Actually I have been using 15 pound Yellow label all season so far I jave NOT had one leader break so far. I have total confidence. I landed a 25 pound spring the other day and I leaned right into that spring with zero issues. I will however change my leader line after fishing a few fish just incase. I have been tying that knot that doubles over on itself this year. Its a game changer. Ive also been hooking more than my Ultragreen friends.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 11:10:07 AM »

...so is the "Yellow Label" referred to the Seaguar Invizx
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »

...so is the "Yellow Label" referred to the Seaguar Invizx

My mistake. I called it yellow. I use the STS. Salmon Trout Steelhead  line

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 12:44:59 AM »

I can also advocate for seaguar STS. While fishing the somass this year for springs, I was using 12lb for leader. I fished the same leader the whole day, landing 4 springs, 2 of which were around the 15lb mark. The line was quite scuffed at the end of the day but it still held.
Someone was here

stsfisher

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »

Ultragreen gets less bites and breaks way easier then yellow label seaguar. Literally seen fish spooked fish not touch the exact same bait in the exact same pocket when fished side by side with no other differences in the setup. I used to only use ultragreen and after switching to yellow label I will never, ever go back to UG for leaders. Literally every angler I know who fishes hard has made the same switch.
Sincerely, A person who actually river fishes every day.

I fish hard, and use nothing but UG and get many fish. I have NEVER had UG break on fish unless I am having to use excessive force in the odd situation. I feel any line would do the same in those situations.
 I use 15lb main and 10lb leaders exclusively for steelhead, 10lb main when spoon casting for coho which has proven to be very effective when incidental springs have been hooked. 5lb on my type 3-7 fly rods, 5lb on my chronie set ups, but will admit I use seaguar on the last 4 feet after the swivel.
If and when I float fish for coho I will use 8lb here and there if the water and traffic conditions dictate.

I am not saying your yellow label is inferior nor would I argue it is that much better that maximo UG should not be considered. Match your entire outfit to what you are doing and UG will stand the test, and will actually catch fish when others swear it will not.