Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Split shot for leader using beads.  (Read 4322 times)

JustPuttsin

Split shot for leader using beads.
« on: December 25, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »

Merry Xmas to all. I'm trying my hand at bead fishing this year on the vedder. I have 10mm trout beads and a 18 inch 10# leader. I need to get the bead down into the zone and was wondering what was being used to accomplish this. BB lead is too small as it won't crimp over the line the way I like. Too large won't work for a good drift either. Was wondering what type of lead other's were using to accomplish a decent drift with an egg this size.

wallygator24

Re: Split shot for leader using beads.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »

One trick that I use to accomplish this without damaging the line, is to use a small egg weight.  I use a bobber stop above the weight and one below the weight so that I can adjust the weight up and down the leader line.  This way you get your presentation down where you need it to go depth wise.  Hope this helps. 

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »

Step up your leader. Not worth losing a trophy to 10lb leader. If you hook into something big you want at least a chance to get it to hand assuming your targeting steelhead.

I use 4 old medium school split shots and a 25 gram float. I like the ones at berrys when their in stock. I have use split shots for as long as i can remember and have never had a line failure do to a split shot.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »

I use 4 old medium school split shots and a 25 gram float. I like the ones at berrys when their in stock. I have use split shots for as long as i can remember and have never had a line failure do to a split shot.

X2

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 08:06:54 PM »

The original thread asks about weight on the leader? I personally wouldn't put any shot on the actual leader.

The way I run beads differs based on the water I'm fishing. If it's slow and clear, I'll run a 3ft leader with a sliding bead. I'll adjust at what I think the water depth is from float to the hook, and come up a foot. After that I'll continue to adjust down until I feel my weights grabbing bottom. Literally even 2 inches can make a difference.

If I'm fishing fast water, I'll use an 18 inch leader and try to start a foot off bottom and move deeper till I tap. In fast water, I tend to get most of my fish on beads letting it drag bottom a touch. That way I know my bead is rolling bottom. It's a way more natural presentation than having a bead floating through the water column. I actually pick up a ton of fish on fly rods indicator fishing beads behind my buddies fishing pin - fly fishing allows you to use tiny split shots (that don't get snagged), and I typically adjust 2 ft deeper than I think the run is. The rolling of the bead along bottom seems to out fish a conventional pin drift set up by at least 2 to 1 in my experiences (especially for trout).

JustPuttsin

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 07:00:26 AM »

Step up your leader. Not worth losing a trophy to 10lb leader. If you hook into something big you want at least a chance to get it to hand assuming your targeting steelhead.

Thanks. Food for thought for sure!!

JustPuttsin

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 07:13:00 AM »

The original thread asks about weight on the leader? I personally wouldn't put any shot on the actual leader.

The way I run beads differs based on the water I'm fishing. If it's slow and clear, I'll run a 3ft leader with a sliding bead. I'll adjust at what I think the water depth is from float to the hook, and come up a foot. After that I'll continue to adjust down until I feel my weights grabbing bottom. Literally even 2 inches can make a difference.

If I'm fishing fast water, I'll use an 18 inch leader and try to start a foot off bottom and move deeper till I tap. In fast water, I tend to get most of my fish on beads letting it drag bottom a touch. That way I know my bead is rolling bottom. It's a way more natural presentation than having a bead floating through the water column. I actually pick up a ton of fish on fly rods indicator fishing beads behind my buddies fishing pin - fly fishing allows you to use tiny split shots (that don't get snagged), and I typically adjust 2 ft deeper than I think the run is. The rolling of the bead along bottom seems to out fish a conventional pin drift set up by at least 2 to 1 in my experiences (especially for trout).
[/quoteI am needing to adjust my depth as I have been fishing what I would quess to be about a foot off the bottom. Will try this for sure! Thanks.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »

I never have any issues with a 19" leader and a soft bead when driving with a pin, levelwind or spinning setup. Using a fly setup when drifting beads in quite different but for a gear setup I fish it the same as I would with bait or a pink worm. The only time I would use a longer leader is when its deep slower moving water. Fish are stupid. It doesnt have to be perfect. Just dont spook them, get it in the zone and find the tight color bead. Easy peezy

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »

that sounds effective. so you space the 4 split shots evenly over an 18-24" leader and just have the bead at the standard 1 inch or so above the hook?

thx

bobby b

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 09:32:47 PM »

Ummm.... I would not put any split shot on the leader...let alone 4!!!

Keep the split shot or weight b4 the swivel, then peg a bead 1-2" above the hook on a 15-18" leader...easy peasy

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 04:40:59 PM »

sorry let me clarity. i run the 4 split shots above my swivel on my main line, the split shots are 1-2" away from each other. thats the way i personally do it but i have seen alot of others to it slightly different with where they position the weight. then 15lb leader approx 16" long to a 1/0 hook for steelhead. if targeting smaller species i will step down leader and size of hook.