Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Best" 2.3/2.5 outboard?  (Read 3314 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
"Best" 2.3/2.5 outboard?
« on: September 14, 2020, 08:15:18 PM »

I've decided to buy a 2.3/2.5hp outboard. On my recent 4 night lake fishing trip I found it a real PITA to keep my deep cycle battery charged up for the next days use. Considered buying another deep cycle battery and an upgraded/more powerful solar panel. Weighing the costs/benefits, I've decided to just buy one of these small outboards. I'll still use the electric for stealth fishing, and for zooming back to camp or whatever I'll use the gas motor. The transom on my lake boat can accommodate two small outboards no problem. For bigger lakes, trolling for kokanee or whatever, I'll haul out my Yamaha 8hp four stroke. It's a great motor I absolutely love it; however, it's a heavy pig (100ish lbs) and a bit sketchy carrying it down the typical muddy/slippery boat launch on the remote lakes I like to fish.

Anyway, decided to just go new. There are a few for sale for $750ish that are 10ish years old. I figure for 500ish bucks more I'll just go brand new.

So like I said I love Yamaha outboards and am gravitating towards the Yammy 2.5. It is water cooled and weighs 37lbs. However, I was looking at them today in store and was a bit surprised to see that this size is made in Thailand, not Japan. Wtf?! My F8 is made in Japan. I sure the Thai made 2.5 is still "fine," but I would like it a bit more if made in Japan. Regardless the Yammy is still my current #1.

#2 I am considering is the Suzuki 2.5hp. It weighs 30lbs, 7lbs less than the Yammy. I've never owned a Suzuki outboard but I know they are well made.

#3 I am considering is the Merc 2.5. For a few hundred bucks more you can get the same 85cc motor in a 3.5hp. I'd probably just go with the 2.5hp. If I want to get up on plane on a bigger lake then I'll just bring the 8hp. Can't see much in the way of gains from the extra 1hp. Anyway, for a "light" motor the Merc 2.5 is a bit of a fatty, weighing in at 41lbs.

#4 Is definitely a competitor, but I would not consider buying one. The Honda 2.3hp. It does not have F and N, but rather an automatic clutch, it is also air cooled (no water pump). I've done some reading up on this motor and a lot of ppl complain about the automatic clutch. I want a motor that has N and F. So this one is out. It ties for the lightest with the Suzuki at 30lbs.

I know I can't really go wrong with any of these. Leaning towards the Yammy as it is my favorite brand of outboard, don't really care about the 7lbs heavier than the Honda or Suzuki. But I don't really like that it's made in Thailand.

Curious if anyone has owned one of these outboards and what they like/dislike about it. They are all pretty much the same price, $1050 to $1150 + tax.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: "Best" 2.3/2.5 outboard?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:58:35 AM »

I had a Yammy 2.5 on my inflatable. Super quiet and reliable. I bought mine slightly used at Checkpoint in Port Moody and got a nice discount from new.

montegobay man

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »

2.5 four stroke  2012  Merc  awesome     lite weight 

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »

Love my little merc.

I wasn’t expecting much but it does pretty good.

On my little 12ft, seems to reach hull speed at half throttle so it will push a 14ft the same speed.

https://youtu.be/lqRCw7-4SII

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 09:44:58 PM »

Have a Suzuki I've used for 14 years still runs good. New plug and some carb cleaner every year helps to keep it slow trolling.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 12:30:32 PM »

Merc = Tohatsu, 6hp is 55lbs.  Considering a 3.5hp weights ~41lbs.

https://www.onlineoutboards.ca/mfs3-5bs-130.html

I'd go 'big', new.  And not look back.

That said, the odd 3.5hp pops up on facebook marketplace or craigs that look basically brand new for under $1000.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 02:53:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I drove around and checked out the yamaha, merc, and suzuki. The 2.5 Suzuki, like the Yamaha, is made in Thailand. The Merc is made by Tohatsu in Japan.
Probably going to go with the Yammy. Ya it's 7lbs heavier than the Suzuki, but it just feels better made to me. The N to F shift and throttle on the Suzuki just felt a bit cheap to me. I'm sure it's still a good little motor, but if buying new I might as well get what I like the most. The 2.5 Merc felt very well made as well, but exact same price as the Yammy, and like I said I'm more of a Yammy guy so the choice is easy.
The Merc is a bit of a heifer at 41lbs, but reviews say it's got a bit more torque than the other 2.5s due to its bigger motor (de-tuned 3.5hp motor). I dont care about a bit of extra torque, my lake boat is about 200lbs without any gear/motor in it. I dont think a bit of extra torque will be noticable.
On bigger lakes if I need to cruise a ways on plane Ill bring my 8hp 4 stoke Yammmy. That motor has some torque! Pops that pudgy boat and 2 adults and 2 dogs up on plane no sweat.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 06:55:35 PM »

Merc = Tohatsu, 6hp is 55lbs.  Considering a 3.5hp weights ~41lbs.

https://www.onlineoutboards.ca/mfs3-5bs-130.html

I'd go 'big', new.  And not look back.

That said, the odd 3.5hp pops up on facebook marketplace or craigs that look basically brand new for under $1000.
Once the boat reaches hull speed the engine only gets louder and uses more fuel. 6hp still won't plane the boat. Probably wouldn't even get 1mph more with double the hp.

I've got both the 6hp merc and the 2.5hp merc and there is a considerable weight difference when carrying the motor any distance.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 09:20:31 AM »

Well, my 5HP Merc would get my 12' car topper tinny on plane.

A 3.5 would not. 

Anyhoo, those single cylinder engines do like to shake rattle and roll and I find it takes some of the serenity out of a day on the water .  It will troll in the wind better than an electric and eliminates the need to pack a battery and keep it charged.

All that said, does your 8hp not have an alternator to charge your battery? 

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »

Negatory, the 8hp does not have an alternator. Even if it did, it would be moot for my purposes. I only use the 8hp for "bigger" lakes where we are typically are trolling for kokanee. This would be roughly 1/3rd of our lake fishing. I suppose I could also squeeze the electric on the transom and use that when we get to the area we want to troll. But the 8hp trolls really nice, slow enough for kokanee or trout. The electric comes out for small 4x4 in lakes where the 8hp is a bit overkill. Plus it's pretty heavy and awkward (100lbs) to carry down the often slippery/muddy launch. For these lakes I love my 40lb thrust Minn Kota electric. Good for sneaking up on trout when fly fishing, also nice and light to carry to/from the boat. On a typical day 5ish hours fishing we'll kill max half the battery. However, on a multi day camping trip keeping the battery charged with my solar charger was an issue. Instead of investing in new solar equipment and probably a 2nd deep cycle battery I've decided to just roll with the 2.5hp in addition to the electric. If my battery dies after a few days camping no sweat, I'll leave it charging all day in the boat (solar charger) and just run the 2.5 gasser.

redside1

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »

An item to start looking at if a guy wants to stay with the electric motor and not go to a gas motor are Lithium batteries.
the usable power stays for a much longer period.
Do research on products like this https://dakotalithium.com/
they recharge way quicker, weigh much less, they keep power for nearly 80% of the amp hours vs a agm battery which may hit 50% before it start to really affect your motor.
Down side is the initial outlaw is way greater but they come with an 11 year warranty.
Just some food for thought.