Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no fishing reports  (Read 4058 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
no fishing reports
« on: September 13, 2020, 10:41:02 AM »

I've been out of fishing for the last 3 seasons and now when I look for fishing reports from members there are very few . In the past the reports were useful and I gave as good as I got . Can someone tell me why this has changed ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: no fishing reports
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 02:22:45 PM »

Check out the member list, sorted by date registered. Only 1 new member in 2020, and only 7 in 2019. My guess is that new members are more enthusiastic and willing to take the time to write reports. We just don't have any new members ::)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:03:30 AM »

Check out the member list, sorted by date registered. Only 1 new member in 2020, and only 7 in 2019. My guess is that new members are more enthusiastic and willing to take the time to write reports. We just don't have any new members ::)

Reports are always driven by new members. once you learn a flow, why report on it your just gonna make it busier.

If i reported where i fished in the fall i would get death mail for the regulars on here

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »

I've been out of fishing for the last 3 seasons and now when I look for fishing reports from members there are very few . In the past the reports were useful and I gave as good as I got . Can someone tell me why this has changed ?
Social media and access to hoards is the reason. Those that fish on a consistent basis have a network of persons they can get reports from. Those that do not fish consistently and only want info when it is "on" create a hoard mentality on any given body of water in a very short amount of time. Doesn't matter if its lakes, rivers, ocean areas social media fishing reports have created a negative effect for those that are out fishing regularly, this has been proven over and over again. 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »

Yeah, forums overall are going the way of the Dodo.  Its all platform based now, IG, Facebook Groups, Reddit etc.

People want more likes and instant connection/interaction/ and even conflict with others that drives users to platforms.

I've been on a niche automotive forum for 15 years that used to be bustling.  The last people left are 15-20 regulars (mostly retired guys).

I recently joined a few Kayak fishing groups and gave up posting any meaningful 'reports'.  Especially those places with...sensitivity.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »

Some of the local Fraser Valley & BC Facebook pages have large memberships and are closed to non-members, which is not the case for Web based discussion groups like FWR where anyone can look at the content without membership and access is theoretically unlimited. Look at whose on line here and most are "guests" and a few are members (usually a half dozen or so at any given time). The use of smartphones for browsing may have a big effect where people with memberships browse the site without signing on.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.