Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's in my Flybox 10 The Flasha-bugger!  (Read 4620 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
What's in my Flybox 10 The Flasha-bugger!
« on: September 09, 2020, 10:52:37 AM »

The Flasha-bugger:

The wooly bugger has been called by many including streamer maven Kelly Gallop arguably the most popular and effective fly pattern in North America and perhaps the world. It was originated by Russ Blessing in the 70s as a hellgrammite imitation for the rivers and streams of the Northeast US.   It was popularized by Barry & Cathy Beck and quickly morphed into a general bait fish pattern by bulking up the long marabou tail.

Almost as soon as soft & flashy materials such as marabou and crystal flash came on the market tiers transformed their wooly buggers by adding this stuff to the tail. The Flasha-bugger was born. Crystal and plastic chenille was adopted just as quickly.

These days is fished as a streamer or even a nymph. As any good interior lake angler can tell you it also makes a good imitation for leeches and dragon flies. It also very effective for coho and chum salmon in freshwater. With the addition of material such as flashabou (sparkle flash etc) or crystal flash in the tail and sometimes along the centre of the chenille body. I have caught all manner of fish on it. Colors of the tail and the body vary considerably. As any good interior lake angler can tell you it also makes a good imitation for leeches and dragon flies

The Original dressing is:

The Wooly Bugger:
Hook #2 to #12 3xl to 4xl streamer
Thread: 6/0 black
Tail: black marabou
Body: black chenille
Hackle: Black saddle or streamer neck hackle tied in by the tip and wound forward

The Flasha-bugger

Flasha- bugger
Hook: #2 to #12 3xl to 4xl streamer
Bead (optional) – silver black or gold to match hook size
Weight: (optional) lead wire wrapped around the shank.
Tail: marabou fibres – blood fibres are best about a shank length and tied full
Flash: flashabou or crystal flash either side of the tal
Rib (optional): small wire or tying thread
Body: chenille; traditional cotton, plastic, sparkle in choice of colors
Body flash (optional) : tail flash material or holographic tinsel
Hackle: long streamer or bugger pack hackle tied in at the head then wound to the tail and secure with rib. (known as a reverse palmer hackle)

Tying notes:
-   Blood marabou often comes suitable for smaller size such as #8 or less
-   Regular marabou can be used. Tie in longer and pinch (do not cut!) the fine tips to get a fizzier tail.
-   I recommend a drop or 2 of superglue at the back hackle wraps to make it more secure. Apply it with a toothpick to avoid getting it on the hackle.

Color choices are whatever you like though I have found black, olive and pearl the most useful for my fishing. Brown & purple are also favorites.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: What's in my Flybox 10 The Flasha-bugger!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »

Thanks for the tip about tying in tinsel as body flash. A common technique on epoxy fly patterns, but I've not seen it under the hackle of a leech pattern. But it makes perfect sense now that I do.   

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Re: What's in my Flybox 10 The Flasha-bugger!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 05:24:32 PM »

great looking fly. I'm tying some tomorrow
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play