Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Placer lake question  (Read 2512 times)

danielk

Placer lake question
« on: September 04, 2020, 09:45:23 PM »

I’m taking the old heep out and figured I’ll go to this lake I’m bringing my tube and rods and bow ;) any tips on the flies this time of the year ? your help would be appreciated!!  I’m thinking leaches but I’m still new to fly fishing  ha 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Placer lake question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 10:16:13 PM »

I’m taking the old heep out and figured I’ll go to this lake I’m bringing my tube and rods and bow ;) any tips on the flies this time of the year ? your help would be appreciated!!  I’m thinking leaches but I’m still new to fly fishing  ha

I have experience fishing this lake. The road in sucks, clearance is necessary ( not too sure if you've been ). High sub alpine lake and fish are hungry all open water season. Micro leeches or the standard Pumpkin head will catch plenty of fish. Theyll take anything. Lots of fish too. You'll do well with any searching pattern. Bring a gold pan and hit up some creeks along the road up. Have fun.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »

Just curious, how was your trip ?

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »

I too would also like to know how your trip went.   I was in there a couple of times 50 years ago and it was one of the roughest roads I have ever negotiated.    Sounds like it hasn't improved much.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »

I too would also like to know how your trip went.   I was in there a couple of times 50 years ago and it was one of the roughest roads I have ever negotiated.    Sounds like it hasn't improved much.

Same. Although maybe 6 years was the last time i went. When I was last there the forestry crews had dug a MASSIVE washout on the mainline aboit 2klm from the lake turn off.

danielk

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »

Trip was great. I didn’t take the Jeep up. One ton steering sucks on the highway Especially the crows nest. Hahah. so we took the f150  the lake was packed. The road in wasn’t to bad our stock 150 made it no problem you just have to pic your path. And drive around the rocks !!!   The water was nice and clear I defiantly wasn’t expecting this lake to be like that. We stayed at the lake for a few hours for lunch only fished about a hour like I said it was a zoo.  Thanks covid :( other then that we hunted morning and evening chased a few deer around no shooters.  Seen a ton of chickens.   Sunday night a freak storm hit around 1 am so not much sleep happened. Trees were falling everywhere  I think I heard a elk around 430 when the wind stopped. But it could have just been trees rubbing in the storm.   I got some great pics of the sunset before the storm I’ll try and post them off my iPhone thanks for the tips we are planning to head up again in a couple weeks to fish    Before it freezes over lol is this lake stalked ? It must freeze solid at that elevation

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »

Trip was great. I didn’t take the Jeep up. One ton steering sucks on the highway Especially the crows nest. Hahah. so we took the f150  the lake was packed. The road in wasn’t to bad our stock 150 made it no problem you just have to pic your path. And drive around the rocks !!!   The water was nice and clear I defiantly wasn’t expecting this lake to be like that. We stayed at the lake for a few hours for lunch only fished about a hour like I said it was a zoo.  Thanks covid :( other then that we hunted morning and evening chased a few deer around no shooters.  Seen a ton of chickens.   Sunday night a freak storm hit around 1 am so not much sleep happened. Trees were falling everywhere  I think I heard a elk around 430 when the wind stopped. But it could have just been trees rubbing in the storm.   I got some great pics of the sunset before the storm I’ll try and post them off my iPhone thanks for the tips we are planning to head up again in a couple weeks to fish    Before it freezes over lol is this lake stalked ? It must freeze solid at that elevation

Good to hear !

Sorry to hear it was a zoo. Thats unbelievable. It used to be so quiet. Good fishing too in a belly boat

danielk

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »

Well ,I’ve been to a lot of places this year.that  I used to go wheeling to in the past . And let me tell you I’ve never seen so many people in the back country . People are board scared and need stuff to do.  The back country is being promoted everywhere this year. We picked this spot because it’s not supposed to be easy to get to. Well it’s kinda true !  99% of people won’t push their rigs up it . I will say a stock f150 on 20” rims coming down was a treat  ;D I’m going to try and get to fire lake this weekend with my kids I’m Sure it will be busy also ha.  I just hope we can find a place to have a fire and cook some hot dogs maybe try and catch some crayfish if that lake has any