Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinook Opening ON The Fraser River Requested on September 1  (Read 19843 times)

Jamier

Re: Chinook Opening ON The Fraser River Requested on September 1
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »

So thought I would give bar fishing a go today. Headed to Glen Valley. Only two other guys fishing.  Not a single coho. 5 sturgeon hook ups. 2 landed. 1 Chubb, 1 pike minnow.  Lots of nets in the water.  Not like it used to be.  Also fresh chum roe used. Maybe next time.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2020, 06:00:33 PM »

Commercial fishermen can retain hatchery coho and so can First Nations. First Nations have been fishing the last two weeks non stop
And the commercial guys all this week.

Getting a Marked coho now will not be easy

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2020, 07:53:19 AM »

Nothing but Sculpins for us a couple of days in the North Arm during the outgoing tide.  Anybody catching any Fraser coho?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »

Why do you think the DFO opened it in November ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2020, 02:39:32 PM »

because it was closed in October. The big chum "cleanup" normally happened in the last week of October.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jamier

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2020, 05:27:12 PM »

Tried my luck again today. 4 sturgeon on, only 2 landed. This is a bar I have fished for years and has always produced coho's.  Not this year, not last year. Not even a jack.  This reminds me of about 15years ago fishing Duncan bar.  That year it was several small sturgeon and no coho.  Maybe I have to give it up until they open it again in October. Although, I might be dead by then   

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2020, 07:09:33 AM »

I am sure there are still fish moving through. With numbers much lower in November, just have to win the lottery and get a biting salmonoid  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »

What is the water visibility in the Tidal Fraser right now?

Jamier

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2020, 11:26:16 AM »

Rod, yesterday water was high with all that rain. Vis was a few inches.  Pretty brown looking.  Glen valley which I know you are familar with, very little shore line to fish. Water will improve over weekend.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »

Crossed both the Port Mann and Golden Ears this am and within the last hour. Few gill net boats out this morning and virtually none this afternoon.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2020, 06:41:14 PM »

The albion test net report shows the run is diminishing.

hammer

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2020, 07:59:44 PM »

What about sloughs and side channels of the Non tidal section of the Fraser? Are those only associated with hatchery systems opened.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2020, 08:20:39 AM »

What about sloughs and side channels of the Non tidal section of the Fraser? Are those only associated with hatchery systems opened.

side channels & back waters should all be open for coho and chum salmon. Sloughs will be closed to salmon fishing if they are no listed in the BC Sport Fishing Guide for Region 2 - that basically leaves Nicomen. The Fraser above the Mission CPR Bridge remains closed to trout fishing until Nov 16th

hammer

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2020, 06:45:59 PM »

How do distinguish you a slough from a backwater or side channel? Other than being called slough. Not being a moron here, just wondering.I fly fish for coho a lot and often catch late ones in cutty spots, just wondering what constitutes slough versus back waters

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2020, 09:39:29 PM »

How do distinguish you a slough from a backwater or side channel? Other than being called slough. Not being a intelligent and respectable human being here, just wondering.I fly fish for coho a lot and often catch late ones in cutty spots, just wondering what constitutes slough versus back waters
You ask good questions for an intelligent and respectable human!

If I understand your question properly...some sloughs (ie Cattermole and Greyell) are actually side channels of the Fraser and have Fraser river water flowing through them ( if not now, then in periods of high water) and are currently open for fishing for coho.

Other sloughs (ie Maria or Pumphouse/Mountain) are not a side channel of the Fraser and are actually tributaries of the Fraser. They are called sloughs because they will back up during freshet. If a slough is a tributary of the Fraser and it is not named in the regulations,  then it is closed to fishing for coho.

Some sloughs are named in the regs (ie Hope) and are closed and others are named (ie Nicomen) and are open.

Rather than wonder if it is a slough, backwater or side channel, recommend asking yourself, is this part of the Fraser River, or is it a tributary? If it’s the Fraser, it’s open. If it’s a tributary, is it named in the regs as open to fishing? If not named, it’s closed.

Or has that made matters more confusing? 😀