Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Affordable Jig and or spoon rod?  (Read 3217 times)

Riverman

• old fart
Affordable Jig and or spoon rod?
« on: November 10, 2020, 08:42:50 AM »

After years with fly and float gear I have decided to break down and purchase a decent twitching setup. I have a good medium strength Shimano spinning reel and would like any suggestions on rods that won't break the bank. Would be nice if a dual purpose as well for chucking light spoons. Thanks for any input.
Riverman

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Affordable Jig and or spoon rod?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »

I like my Shimano Clarus CSS-86M2

8’ 6”
8-17 lb
1/4 to 1 oz

It’s an older rod, don’t know if it has a more current model.

Great double duty rod for spinners/spoons and jigs.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 01:50:28 PM »

i personally like a shorter spinng rod when fishing local rivers along side my center pin. light, less back cast, easier to carry if fishing the center pin. if fishing from a boat i have a longer set up like clarki suggested. depending on what im targeting will determine what line rating the rod is.

fendwick makes a nice spinning rod. have had the same one for years and its held up great
coho and trout, HMX66L-MS-2   6'6"   Light   Moderate   4 lb. - 8 lb.   1/16 oz. - 3/8 oz
springs,chum and steelhead, HMX66M-FS-2   6'6"   Medium   Fast   8 lb. - 14 lb.   1/4 oz. - 3/4 oz.

what ever rod you decide i would run braid for your main line with a 16" mono 15lb leader for steelhead and salmon

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 04:20:48 PM »

I use the same rod as bigblockfox. Works great for twitching and tossing lures. A line it with 15 lb braid. Caught 100s of fish on it, including Chinook well into the 20 lb. Class

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »

Thanks for the good feedback. Have looked at a lot and have been leaning toward the Clarus. Have had good experiences with Fenwick products in the past. Lately availability seems an issue. Will keep looking.
Riverman

hammer

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »

Hmx medium 7’6”

chironomidking

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 06:51:32 PM »

Shimano Clarus 8’6”.  Best rod.  They don’t offer the 8-17lb anymore which sucks.  The new rod is 8-12lb

Okuma SST Steelhead Spin 8’6”.  8-17lb. Next best rod after the Clarus (for the price)

Fenwick Eagle 8’6”. 8-15lb. Third best rod

Shimano Convergence 8’6” 8-12lb. Forth best rod

These 4 rods are roughly the same price point and I use them all and I have broken and replaced them all multiple times.  I really abuse them and they only last me one season fishing hauling big northerns out of debris piles.

Jumping up significantly to low $300’s USD is what I would consider a top rod for jigging/spoons/spinners, the Okuma X-series 7’6” 8-17lb but it is one piece.  This rod is on my wish list but I would have to be more careful with it!

redside1

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 10:23:51 PM »

I purchased a Trophy xl 600 series 8’6” 12-20 rod at Searun. Works great for spoon spinner and twitching jigs.

4x4

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »

I use a 9' medium action Fenwick HMX. That's all you will need for spoons or jig fishing.

I run 12# mono with a 4000 spinning reel. I prefer to us 10# but when your twitching for Ho's you will probably catch quite a few Chum depending what system you are fishing.

jim

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 06:19:43 AM »

A few years ago now, Rod Toth was selling a one piece, 7' rod for twitching jigs. Had a bunch made up, I guess. The price was way up there, $385 or $485 or some such thing.
That would be nice to try before settling on some lesser rod.