Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Under Attack again  (Read 10314 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River Under Attack again
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »

I miss those dug out ponds for coho fishing in the fall.
Yes they were good areas to fish but the environmental damage these projects do to any river is the main reason to have them stopped.

https://www.theprogress.com/news/potential-for-gravel-removal-this-summer-in-chilliwack-has-riled-river-stewards/

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:51:59 PM by chris gadsden »

jackster

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »

Agreed. 
But the lower Vedder is not just any river.

fishdreamer

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 11:14:46 AM »

The article says the so called environmental damage is not an issue and that their a net benefit as reported by their professional biologist. Ethereal is the evidence that this removal is causing long term biological harm? The gravel is used in habitat restoration projects. This is not a mining operation where a proponent is profiting from extract and leaving a mess. And as noted by Jr. there are very  few decent places on the river for fly fishers so now you have reduced our enjoyment of the river significantly.  I don’t see this as a balanced decision at all.

stsfisher

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »

The article says the so called environmental damage is not an issue and that their a net benefit as reported by their professional biologist. Ethereal is the evidence that this removal is causing long term biological harm? The gravel is used in habitat restoration projects. This is not a mining operation where a proponent is profiting from extract and leaving a mess. And as noted by Jr. there are very  few decent places on the river for fly fishers so now you have reduced our enjoyment of the river significantly.  I don’t see this as a balanced decision at all.

He said/She said argument, depends on who and how you interpret it.
The gravel operation was never intended to be used for habitat restoration, and anyone who witnesses this extraction will tell you the same. The piles of gravel removed is NOT used for anything but making money.
 And yes this is a mining operation, with very little benefit to flood mitigation and it certainly does leave a mess. Maybe not in the form of garbage, but how do you think those big parking lots where made? Trees where cut, ground was leveled for large storage of gravel for trucks to haul away to quarry's throughout the lowermainland, and who knows where else. 

The whole river is full of quality locations for fly fishing, they just do not resemble the swimming pools most are used to in their back yard. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2020, 12:35:15 PM »

we'll have to watch to see if stopping the bi-annual gravel extraction leads to the gravel paving of the lower river. The lower section no longer has a natural course and if rivers can't drop flood sediments to their sides and move laterally back and forth then they will drop them in their beds leading to extensive lengths of shallow water. In low water conditions fish may not be able to ascend these.  Similar things have happened on some rivers on the Island.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »

we'll have to watch to see if stopping the bi-annual gravel extraction leads to the gravel paving of the lower river. The lower section no longer has a natural course and if rivers can't drop flood sediments to their sides and move laterally back and forth then they will drop them in their beds leading to extensive lengths of shallow water. In low water conditions fish may not be able to ascend these.  Similar things have happened on some rivers on the Island.
From the X sections that were analyzed by the Stewardship technical people it was shown the river and canal is degrading the last few years. When this was presented to the City, FOC and the Province the application was withdrawn

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »

I appreciate that Chris - I was trying to say is that if some years from now it looks like the lower river could benefit from gravel removal it could be done then. No need to do it every 2 years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.