Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opps! on August 8th  (Read 2959 times)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Opps! on August 8th
« on: August 09, 2004, 11:49:01 PM »

While out on the boat yesterday on the Fraser just above Grassy I saw a few seagulls picking at what I suspected to be a fish.  I pulled along side, reached out and 'flossed', if you will, a nice red spring doe about 25 pounds all nicely gutted with even the gills out.  It seemed the fish had been in the water for a few hours though. Im guessing somebody left it in the water after cleaning it and the wake from a boat swept it out.  What a bummer...it was a very nice looking fish.

Fishing was quite slow from what I saw and the guys I talked to.  Even the gazillion native nets between Is 22 and Dewdney were not producing a whole lot of fish or any of the consequential cash flow.  I saw two rigs of americans  spending greenbacks on fish Sunday.  Im assuming they were topping up on their quota before heading home.

Cheers and tight lines.

p.s. I didnt keep the spring.  I dont get out much to catch them fresh no, but she'd been soaking in the Fraser just a tad long.  The Fraser is not an ideal marinade by any means.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 11:47:43 AM by Rodney »
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:Opps!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 09:22:47 AM »

You didn't notice anyone swimming downstream in the area of the fish? ;D  I've seen people get wet chasing their "slipped catch".  Pretty funny ;DLOL

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re:Opps!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 06:14:16 PM »

I saw a guy few years back go up to his neck to get one that slipped away during cleaning.

Then there is the guy bar fishing trying to chuck 20 oz of lead with his coffee grinder.  The bail flipped over half way through the cast and the rod rocketed out of his hand.  He got very wet chasing after that one.

Why no video camera for such events?

Nobody seemed to be after this fish though and I didnt bother to put it in the 'lost and found'.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?