Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Day trip (with overnight stay) ideas  (Read 2000 times)

mk1freak

Day trip (with overnight stay) ideas
« on: June 25, 2020, 07:34:34 PM »

Hey guys,

With the whole pandemic happening, and us working non stop through it all (we work in health care) , myself and a few coworkers are looking for one day trip fishing ideas, close enough to lower mainland then it'll be one day, further out we will stay the night (hotel or so).
We don't have boats so ocean going is not an option, so we're thinking towards the interior somewhere. The guys haven't been fishing ever so in my limited experience I'll probably have them stick with spin casting rods for ease. So probably lake shore somewhere far from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Any ideas would be appreciated! we're all mentally drained so were using some time off to recharge and what better way than fishing?

Thanks in advance.
Len
Me:  I have a fever
Boss:  Ok take the day off!
Me:  Thank god i'm the boss! ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Day trip (with overnight stay) ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 10:07:52 PM »

It depends on how far you'd like to drive for a day trip. From Vancouver, you could head north on the Sea to Sky and hop between lakes around Squamish (Browning, Alice, Brohm). They all have small rainbow and cutthroat trout in them, but combining that with some hiking etc it could be a good day? The lakes have plenty of shore access.

Heading toward the Fraser Valley, Hicks Lake at Sasquatch Provincial Park has a variety of species (rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and kokanee) and they should all be hanging around in the shallows close to shore now. Shore fishing is possible with a bit of hiking involved along the lake shoreline from the day use area.

Chilliwack River is about to reopen on July 1st so you could try fishing for chinook salmon there.

Heading into Interior BC, there are several lakes where shore fishing is possible. Tunkwa, Leighton and Logan Lake all have some kind of shore access and it's definitely not impossible to catch those rainbow trout from shore as long as the wind cooperates. Marquart and Lundbom Lake just outside of Merritt also have shore fishing spots, but from what I've heard Lundbom is getting quite a bit of algae now.

mk1freak

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »

Thx for the ideas Rod!

gonna get out to Hicks lake for the day sometime after Canada day likely Friday and if needed we'll spend the night nearby Harrison. As much as I'd like to get the guys into a Chinook they wont have the gear for it and I'm sure it'll be too busy for them to enjoy it.

Any tips for Hicks lake (lures etc.)?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »

For Hicks Lake, it's warming up nicely now and a lot of fish are going to be hanging out in the shallows (less than 10ft deep) in the next little while. I'd cast a float out there with a hook baited with single eggs or dew worms, that usually works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1YszONAsP8

mk1freak

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 06:34:46 PM »

I got skunked by the coworkers and I'm the one who set up their gears 😅
We hiked out to the opposite end of the lake (from the rental lot) and hit a little beach where we can wade out and cast out. Fun time had by all!