Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Islander Steelheader "Shhhh" Noise  (Read 3646 times)

fishingwithjohn

Islander Steelheader "Shhhh" Noise
« on: June 22, 2020, 12:18:33 AM »

Out of the box, brand new beauty. Spins excellent but has a sound...is the center bolt too tight? Thought it would be silent. I would describe it like a light breeze sound as it spins.

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Islander Steelheader "Shhhh" Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:31:23 AM »

Because the reel uses bearing, so it has noise when spin. The bushing reel is silent spin.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »

bingo!...thank you

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »

I have two islander CP reels and they are silent. I would take it back and try another one. Tge sound bearings to make should be extremely quiet.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 04:32:40 PM »

I wish I could post a video because when I crank the free spool clicker off...my admundson is quieter than the islander...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 10:51:52 AM »

Thought it would be silent. I would describe it like a light breeze sound as it spins.

I think this is normal for islanders. Out of the box none are going to be completely silent, though some units do seem louder than others.

Perhaps you could consider a bearing upgrade. I've heard anecdotally that it helps...

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 05:05:10 PM »

It seems to spin around 60 seconds before I can see a considerable slowdown and the handles become visible.

Honestly pretty surprised given all the hype this thing receives. My Amundson does spin half as long but is far quieter at less than half the price. You get what you pay for doesn't apply to this product. 600 after tax..for what...a machined tool that spins with bearings with no technology involving spings, gears etc.

Even the clicker is not even for left and right handed...one side has more resistance.

Debating returning it. Id rather pay another $100-200 for something that drips quality manufacturing.

lapa

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 10:07:45 PM »

It seems to spin around 60 seconds before I can see a considerable slowdown and the handles become visible.

Honestly pretty surprised given all the hype this thing receives. My Amundson does spin half as long but is far quieter at less than half the price. You get what you pay for doesn't apply to this product. 600 after tax..for what...a machined tool that spins with bearings with no technology involving spings, gears etc.

Even the clicker is not even for left and right handed...one side has more resistance.

Debating returning it. Id rather pay another $100-200 for something that drips quality manufacturing.
For $600 you can easy find John Milner reel

sugartooth

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 11:53:36 PM »

Just out of curiosity,  is there line on the reel?
My islander is quiet and has been since new. Wondering if having a lined reel would be quieter.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:56:31 PM by sugartooth »

stsfisher

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 06:16:12 AM »

Have you tried contacting them? Might be something they can help you with. Maybe they have some suggestions i r maybe they honor a return for a new one. I think I would start there.
Sorry I have no experience with a I.S.

4x4

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »

Where did you buy it from? Go to the store and spin the same model see if it makes the same noise.

I always thought bushing or bearings when spinning should be quiet. The pin is 303 stainless or it used to be. If the tolerances are off it could make a noise.

It would drive me nuts. See if you can exchange the reel. You could also call JS Foster (Islander Reels) on the Island and let them know your concerns.

Good luck

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »

I have had one islander (my first pin ever) for around 10 years now. I have absolutely sheet kicked it. It's unbelievable. I've never cleaned it, throw it down, etc. Never done the bearings. It looks terrible at this point, but it's still a great reel. Kitty got one new out of the box and it was actually pretty terrible. Seems to spin well, but something is definitely off about it, because it casts way different than the other (old) one. Got new bearings put in on it, same thing. It just seems to be a dud. Got a third one now, and it is seemingly just as good as the first original.

I also had a buddy who had one that was a dud. He hated it. One day he had everything stolen out of his car (a few different rods, waders, boots, etc). He grabbed a new islander with the insurance money to replace the old one, and his new one is great. They definitely seem like the can be hit or miss. It really is unfortunate, because the good ones I have had would make me recommend them to anyone and everyone. My first one ever has been an incredible workhorse.

jackster

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »

To pay that kind of money for inconsistency.......NO THANKS!!

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 06:40:36 PM »

And thats all she wrote...

I took it back for an exchange and I believe the reel may have been a lemon. The gentleman behind the counter was absolute class and I think he could tell it wasn't completely flawless. I think the lesson is to take in-box condition with a grain of salt. Take it out and give it a try and compare your options to be safe. Not going to draw any assumptions more than that.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and suggestions!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 10:09:21 PM »

Duds do happen from time to time. Islander and its dealers are always willing to go out of their way to stand by the products. Glad to hear it worked out!