Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack and Chehalis River summer chinook salmon fisheries  (Read 42415 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack and Chehalis River summer chinook salmon fisheries
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2020, 08:04:10 AM »

Not when you're going to the media and crying about not getting enough food.

Yes I know what he looks like and it's irrelevant to the conversation. You're fat-shaming a person because you disagree with him about fishing rights... there's a logical disconnect there that can only be explained by nastiness or worse.

buck

« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2020, 10:35:40 AM »

Soowahlie First Nations take all excess salmon not required for brood stock from the Chilliwack hatchery. This amounts to thousands of coho, chum and spring. Why are these fish not being divided up amongst other First Nation groups?  Soowahlie sends all the fish to the processing plant for $$$.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »

Soowahlie First Nations take all excess salmon not required for brood stock from the Chilliwack hatchery. This amounts to thousands of coho, chum and spring. Why are these fish not being divided up amongst other First Nation groups?  Soowahlie sends all the fish to the processing plant for $$$.

Thanks Buck, I was actually just gonna point that out and ask if the ESSR fishery also applies to the summer chinook salmon at the Chilliwack Hatchery?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »

There is probably some FN politics in the back ground that we are not aware of and are purposely kept behind closed doors..  Does the Soowahlie get as many openings on the fraser as the rest of Lower First Nations do?

I know Sumas First Nations recently threatened to set up a weir on the C/V.  The Tzeachten also apparently have the historical context for setting a weir up in the area.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:59:15 AM by wildmanyeah »

redside1

« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2020, 11:48:38 AM »

the part I am having a challenge with is there never was a early summer run chinook in the chehalis or the chilliwack.
So Canada creates a fishery for all and now FN's should get first crack at something that did not exist until colonialism came along?
I don't have a problem if it was there before but it wasn't so why should FN's get a special right to it?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2020, 11:58:25 AM »

Actually there was a summer Chinook run in the Chilliwack. It is considered genetically extinct now.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »

Thanks Buck, I was actually just gonna point that out and ask if the ESSR fishery also applies to the summer chinook salmon at the Chilliwack Hatchery?

yes good question and part of the issue raised in the article was they did not have access to a sufficient ceremonial quantity of fish right now. Not a lot brood surplus fish in the hatchery at the moment I'd guess.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2020, 06:05:59 PM »

all Canadians are already equal in terms as defined in the BNA and the Constitution Act. FN fishing & hunting rights were recognized by the British Crown before most of the country was settled by non FNs and never passed to subsequent people who settle here. It's the same in the US.
........equal is a stand alone term....any qualifier added turns it into unequal.....one country,one law...I know we don't  have that and that is going to cause problems till we do.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2020, 06:21:41 PM »

........equal is a stand alone term....any qualifier added turns it into unequal.....one country,one law...I know we don't  have that and that is going to cause problems till we do.....

No. Original equality was only political equality in the absolute sense. Literally one man one vote prior to women's suffrage. There was no equality on almost any other factor. Since then our society has been dealing with inequality on a variety of other factors. For example access to justice is not equal by wealth, by class and a whole truck load of other  factors. As some factors move towards equality (and absolute equality can likely never been achieved  on those factors) relative equality declines on other factors.

Even at that the 'deal' made around FN rights was necessary to nation building, same as the deal for francophone rights was necessary to nation building and the extension of rights to women.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

yoda

« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2020, 07:00:56 PM »

So back to the point, is anyone having any success on either river system?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2020, 07:52:58 AM »

I'm heading out to Chilliwack this AM and will report back. Water's at 2.250m on the graph.

spoiler

« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »

yeah Dave,
I remember those fish. I was lucky enough to catch a few in the early to mid 1970's. They were chrome bright and super hard fighting! Just a shame that they couldn't have been brought back before their numbers were depleted.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »

yeah Dave,
I remember those fish. I was lucky enough to catch a few in the early to mid 1970's. They were chrome bright and super hard fighting! Just a shame that they couldn't have been brought back before their numbers were depleted.

I wonder if you, buck and I are the only ones on this forum that remember those fish? My god they were strong!!!
Largest I saw hooked was about 35 lbs, in the Boulder Hole.  You know how that ended, lol!

spoiler

« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2020, 01:10:32 PM »

Yup! anything over 20 was going to be a problem!

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2020, 02:53:03 PM »

yeah Dave,
I would think based on geographic proximity that the chinook in the North Fork Nooksack would be closest genetically speaking.  This year was the first time in memory that we had a fishery on spring/summer chinook on the North Fork.  I wonder if some brood stock could be provided to the Chilliwack hatchery instead.  Of course, these fish don't have the bright red meat of the current Chilliwack hatchery stock, but they may be able to reproduce naturally in the system.

I wonder if those now extirpated summer chinook on the Chilliwack spawned above the lake?  Or maybe in the upper reaches of Slesse creek? Spring and summer chinook in Washington seem to have adapted their run timing so they could reach the uppermost reaches of spawning water, that was the best place to hatch their eggs.