Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's in my fly box 1- The Western Silver Doctor  (Read 4365 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
What's in my fly box 1- The Western Silver Doctor
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:17:20 PM »

This is the first of an occasional series of posts (I will aim for weekly) of some of my favorite flies.

Western Silver Doctor:

Hook: #6 to #10 choice either standard wet fly or 3xl
thread: red 6/0 or smaller
Tail: GP tippet feather - dyed red in this case
butt: red wool or dubbing
rib: silver wire
body: silver holographic tinsel
hackle: blue
underwing: yellow over red antron fibres
Wing: grey Mallard flank or teal.
accents: copper ripple ice fibre
topping: UV pearl crystal flash

Notes: for the underwing use the straight antron fibres sold on cards not the dubbing or yarn. I line them up yellow on the red , snip the bundle and tie it on.

The Silver Doctor dates back to 1850 and is one of the better know classic patterns. I will provide a link if you'd like to know more of it's history.

The Western Silver Doctor is one of many variations that provided a simple but effective wing in place of the built wing. In BC it was sometimes called the Local Silver Doctor. Other variations use natural bucktail rather than mallard.

Locally it's effective for cutthroat as a general minnow pattern and will take coho. I find attractor patterns like this are best in the fall before the water cools down towards the end of October or in November.

Other classic variations include the Blue Doctor and the Black Doctor the difference being the color of the body. Coho often have a preference for blue so a blue tinsel body may be worth a try.

What's in your fly box?

Link: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part470.php
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:51:13 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: What's in my fly box
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:31:52 PM »

This has come a long way from the original Silver Doctor and I like it.  It's classy.  Thanks for sharing RalphH.
A couple of questions:
Why antron?
The beard or hackle looks kind of stiff, is it on purpose, or just the picture makes it look that way.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 09:49:59 AM »

You're welcome.

I have been using antron for many years and I really like it for a few reasons; the color saturation of synthetics is often better than dyed naturals, it's soft & easy to tie in without adding bulk. Great for underwings, it's not too good for larger flies though. I also use it for small Mickey Finns.

It's my adaptation but any good hair be it natural or synthetic  are suitable.

The hackle is folded, wound then pulled down. It does look a bit stiff but I think it will be fine in the water when retrieved. It's from a cheap Chinese cape. Hen neck may be better. Webbed barbs from the same cape made for a good throat on another pattern tied this week.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:59:49 PM »

thanks!
It ain't the roe bro'