Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pallet Fires On The Fraser River  (Read 5324 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pallet Fires On The Fraser River
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 09:06:47 AM »

So we’re concern that people driving on the bars wheels might get popped but we’re not concerned with the fuel, oil greeze and break dust going into the river?

Nice spin WMY! One of your best.

I'd go for banning the operation of any powered vehicle below the high water mark or using such vehicles to ford any stream.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »

Geez, thankless job. Frustrating report, Chris.

Related question: What city department do you contact about garbage cleanup? There are a couple of homeless camps along a small river in Coquitlam that I fish often. There's more and more piles of garbage every week... looks like bags and suitcases of donations to a thrift store. The clothes get strewn everywhere and left to rot next to the river. I've taken photos of both camps as well as 7 locations between them with garbage. Also made a map with all the locations. If I email the city, will they follow up on it? What department? My best guesses after looking at the directory were Water Protection (Engineering) and Bylaw Enforcement. Should I CC the Tri-City News so they can follow up?

I know it won't fix anything long term... I do the Coquitlam cleanup every year and it's always grim. These two camps are pissing me off because I see the same garbage every time I go fishing and it keeps getting worse.
The City of Chilliwack  and Fraser Valley Regional District works well with us and when we or others do "Hot Spot Cleanups" they provide a free dumping pass at the landfill.
We have 3 organized cleanups a year but because of COVID - 19 the first 2 cleanups for 2020 were cancelled. I guess during this time not the best time to be doing cleanups because of COVID.

At times our City crews do cleanups when we bring it to their attention. We, as you know have been working on this issue for nearly 20 years and feel your frustration.

I would contact your City and start up a conversation with them of your concern. Thanks for participating in your yearly cleanups, I know I came to one many years ago.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 05:51:14 PM »

Got my ducks in a row and emailed Coquitlam about the homeless camps on the river. A third one sprang up in the last couple of days. Bylaw dept emailed back within the hour and said they'd pass it along to the bylaw officer. Hopefully they follow through on it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 09:08:09 PM »

Got my ducks in a row and emailed Coquitlam about the homeless camps on the river. A third one sprang up in the last couple of days. Bylaw dept emailed back within the hour and said they'd pass it along to the bylaw officer. Hopefully they follow through on it.
Good work keep us posted.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »

Good work keep us posted.

Bylaw officer called me today with an update. Didn't expect to hear back from anybody. They've got the ball rolling on all three camps but somehow none of the camps are Coquitlam's responsibility :o The first camp is on land leased by the city of Vancouver (despite being on the border of New West and Coquitlam). Bylaw officer said the city and police were taking care of that one today. The other two are on private land that belong to a business, though the camps are between business' fence and the river. He said the city would work with the business to call the police and clear them out. I'm heading down today so we'll see if they've made any progress. Have mixed feelings about getting them evicted but the garbage/stolen goods were getting out of hand.

Reminds me of the time I pulled a shopping cart out of the river and then saw a New West city truck in the park. Let the guy know there was a cart just over there and he asked me which side of the river. One side is New West, one side is Coquitlam. It was on the Coquitlam side so he said he couldn't do anything about it. I asked the guy to radio his Coquitlam counterpart and let them know about it. He said he would. Few days later someone had pushed the cart back into the creek and it's been there ever since. Still get a bit annoyed when I think about it  ::)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »

Bylaw officer called me today with an update. Didn't expect to hear back from anybody. They've got the ball rolling on all three camps but somehow none of the camps are Coquitlam's responsibility :o The first camp is on land leased by the city of Vancouver (despite being on the border of New West and Coquitlam). Bylaw officer said the city and police were taking care of that one today. The other two are on private land that belong to a business, though the camps are between business' fence and the river. He said the city would work with the business to call the police and clear them out. I'm heading down today so we'll see if they've made any progress. Have mixed feelings about getting them evicted but the garbage/stolen goods were getting out of hand.

Reminds me of the time I pulled a shopping cart out of the river and then saw a New West city truck in the park. Let the guy know there was a cart just over there and he asked me which side of the river. One side is New West, one side is Coquitlam. It was on the Coquitlam side so he said he couldn't do anything about it. I asked the guy to radio his Coquitlam counterpart and let them know about it. He said he would. Few days later someone had pushed the cart back into the creek and it's been there ever since. Still get a bit annoyed when I think about it  ::)

reminds me of the traffic light on maple ridge/pitt meadows border that for years was left off as the two cities could not agree on who was going to pay to power it.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 03:52:47 PM »

last time i fished the silver couldn't believe all of the homeless camps. unfortunately i cant see these issues getting any better till a federal or provincial strategy is in place. its becoming a real problem everywhere.