Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pallet Fires On The Fraser River  (Read 5334 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pallet Fires On The Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 04:17:22 PM »

What happened to the deposit on pallets? Back in the 80s when I starting working as an accountant the company I worked for put a lot of effort in tracking pallets it received via deliveries and seeing they were returned for a deposit refund. As I recall back then it was $5. Are wood pallets are that cheap these days?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 04:35:46 PM »

They say it was $15 at one time but none no deposit. I think they are still expensive, not sure of the exact price.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 05:57:31 PM »

Think there's this idea of burning wood on the shore is no big deal ...people having fun and only ashes are left.
Now if it was something these groups were throwing directly into the water...people would be more vocal and call this pollution and harmful to river and fish.
But the reality is these ashes / nails are pollution...and will harm water quality/danger to fish.
RCMP may think it's not our job...we are after other more serious crimes...

Good on those who clean it all up.
But those that started these fires should be the ones hauling it away.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »

Is adding iron nails to the Fraser a bad thing??

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 04:30:33 PM »

I am sure you see all that get dumped on these fires too and everywhere else in these areas that is left behind. Besides there is a $500 bylaw fine for burning them so I think there is a concern by some. It of course is also unsightly in what should be a pristine area along our rivers and elsewhere. I know I would not like having pallet fires on my property with nails left behind.

I know I did not answer your question directly, maybe others will.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »

try driving over a pile of them. I won't drive on the Fraser bars like some folks do.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:06:48 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 04:58:46 PM »

If it were one pallet I'd agree with you. But it's hundreds (thousands?) of pallets every year, representing hundreds of pounds of nails littered around the river.

Same train of thought as organic matter. If I throw my banana peel into the woods, it's not ideal but not the end of the world. If there were thousands of banana peels getting thrown into the same few spots in the woods it would become very slippery out there a cause for concern.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 06:50:49 PM »

try driving over a pile of them. I won't drive on the Fraser bars like some folks do.

So we’re concern that people driving on the bars wheels might get popped but we’re not concerned with the fuel, oil greeze and break dust going into the river?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »

If it were one pallet I'd agree with you. But it's hundreds (thousands?) of pallets every year, representing hundreds of pounds of nails littered around the river.

Same train of thought as organic matter. If I throw my banana peel into the woods, it's not ideal but not the end of the world. If there were thousands of banana peels getting thrown into the same few spots in the woods it would become very slippery out there a cause for concern.

I thought the ocean generally iron deficient. When the Fraser river goes in to freshet  and the nice spring sun comes out. The combo of minerals and sun creates a nice diatom bloom. Very good for life 

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 08:31:49 PM »

I thought the ocean generally iron deficient. When the Fraser river goes in to freshet  and the nice spring sun comes out. The combo of minerals and sun creates a nice diatom bloom. Very good for life

Eh, the article explains the concerns. You can check it out if you want more info :D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »

Camped in a small trailer by a river bar. ( Langley area. ) our German Shepard dog got it's front paw cut really badly. Blood everywhere. Camping/fishing trip ended ...to the vet we go.
These nails can go on an angle ...wood /debris behind the nail...tire flat OR worse nail in kid's foot or dog's paw.
....Richmond has discarded masks on ground all over...see at least 4 everytime I go out exercising.
People are litter bugs. ( some )

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 04:34:54 PM »

This is how bad it is out there, a report from a friend who checked the area on the past weekend. He gives so much of his time cleaning up these pallet nails and illegal dumping.

"All weekend long pallet fires at all 3 locations. Friday 6 fires at Gill, 3 were pallets. Saturday 12 fires, 6 were pallets and Sunday 5 fires 3 were pallets. 
Jesperson was surprisingly quiet Friday night but there was a marked fisheries truck with an empty boat trailer there so they must have been out on the river. Saturday 2 fires 1 was pallets but lots of people. Sunday there was evidence of more fires later Saturday night but nothing else going on.
Pegleg fires every night as well with 3 pallet fires over the weekend. Sunday had no one there but left over pallets from Saturday night.
 Jesperson has at least temporarily been rather less active than usual, Gill has been getting worse. I don't know if it's because of the publicity or not.
 I will try to organize another cleanup at Jesperson if the city agrees to provide some enforcement but I'm not going to do anything at Gill unless they do the same there and enforce the posted signs."

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 08:40:52 PM »

Geez, thankless job. Frustrating report, Chris.

Related question: What city department do you contact about garbage cleanup? There are a couple of homeless camps along a small river in Coquitlam that I fish often. There's more and more piles of garbage every week... looks like bags and suitcases of donations to a thrift store. The clothes get strewn everywhere and left to rot next to the river. I've taken photos of both camps as well as 7 locations between them with garbage. Also made a map with all the locations. If I email the city, will they follow up on it? What department? My best guesses after looking at the directory were Water Protection (Engineering) and Bylaw Enforcement. Should I CC the Tri-City News so they can follow up?

I know it won't fix anything long term... I do the Coquitlam cleanup every year and it's always grim. These two camps are pissing me off because I see the same garbage every time I go fishing and it keeps getting worse.

santefe

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 08:49:11 AM »

In regards to dumping.  I live in Surrey,  When I see dumping  in the ditches on my walks   email the city and I usually get a fairly quick response.  So BO let the city know about it and monitor their response.
We need to contact our municipal, provincial and federal elected officials about issues rather than natter to one another about certain issues.
My 2 cts