Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elwha River vid  (Read 3790 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Elwha River vid
« on: April 23, 2020, 03:18:34 PM »

cool video about the elwha river after the dam was removed after 100 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_m1myVBBQ

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Elwha River vid
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 04:04:41 PM »

Thanks for the video. Some interesting things to think about in it

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 04:40:30 PM »

Thanks for the link. Look forward to watching it.

I’ve watched a number of dam removal videos on YouTube. This one is pretty dramatic https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxMHmw3Z-U

And this one at beginning at about 2:00 has some interesting info about the impact of sediment release on the marine nearshore. Some cool before and after arial shots of the estuary https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VipVo8zPH0U

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »

love hearing about undamming, there was a few on the east coast aswell opening up atlantic salmon rivers.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 02:12:20 AM »

This is an excellent video. Despite of the bigger challenges which we keep hearing about, little projects like this are happening all over and we are seeing results.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »

This is an excellent video. Despite of the bigger challenges which we keep hearing about, little projects like this are happening all over and we are seeing results.

not a little project

". The National Park Service removed the two dams as part of the $325 million Elwha Ecosystem Restoration Project."

the before and after pictures of the estuary are mind blowing https://www.nps.gov/olym/learn/nature/restoration-and-current-research.htm
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:32:09 AM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »

Yeah I know it is pricy, I was more talking about geographically these projects are small. Little steps are making a big difference.

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »

Extremely encouraging video. Want more of this.
But one must consider there are differences in the U.S.A. with this stuff.
If that was a Canadian river, we all know what would happen. A certain special interest group would either be demanding a fishery on it, or they would be fishing illegally in it. As sure as the sky is blue.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »

And why shouldn't a "special interest group" demand a fishery on it? If it wasn't for the pressure applied by the Lower Elwha Klallam Nation (along with environmental groups) , the two dam removal projects on the river might never have happened. Construction of the first dam on the river in 1910, just 5 miles inland and no fish ladder, virtually wiped out the prolific runs that their nation depended on. Not to mention the other injustices that they suffered at the hand of the US government.

It is expected/hoped that the runs will rebound to 400,000 fish in the next 20 or 30 years, from just 4,000 prior to dam removal.

I hope the demand a piece of the pie.                 

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »

And why shouldn't a "special interest group" demand a fishery on it? If it wasn't for the pressure applied by the Lower Elwha Klallam Nation (along with environmental groups) , the two dam removal projects on the river might never have happened. Construction of the first dam on the river in 1910, just 5 miles inland and no fish ladder, virtually wiped out the prolific runs that their nation depended on. Not to mention the other injustices that they suffered at the hand of the US government.

It is expected/hoped that the runs will rebound to 400,000 fish in the next 20 or 30 years, from just 4,000 prior to dam removal.

I hope the demand a piece of the pie.                 

One group asking to harvest some fish is one thing. That same group asking to harvest fish but demanding to keep all 'other' groups completely off the river is discrimination. That's what happens in Canada.