Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You build it, they will come  (Read 3008 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
You build it, they will come
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »

This little juvenile rainbow trout/steelhead, offers a glimmer of hope in a world which is currently full of uncertainties.

A few weeks ago, I followed along a team of biologists from Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition in Chilliwack's Hopedale area to collect samples from a few traps that were set overnight. The findings were fascinating and demonstrate what a huge positive impact a little bit of volunteer work can  do when it comes to fish conservation.
You may recall that back in October, I joined a group of volunteers planting trees at the newly restored wetland by the Lower Vedder River. Connected to the river via a meandering channel where salmon have spawned since its construction, this wetland serves as a refuge for juvenile salmonids to rest, feed and grow until they are strong enough for the next stage of their life journey. The trees planted will eventually become important riparians which provide shading, cooling of the water, and insect activities.

This rainbow trout, approximately one year old, most likely has spent its early life at other parts of the river. It entered the outlet of the channel just upstream of the railway bridge in Hopedale, made its way up the channel and decided to call this wetland its temporary home.

Historically, prior to the construction of dykes, the river basin is much broader and many tertiary channels existed. These smaller channels are where salmon, trout and steelhead would typically spawn. During a highwater event, the offsprings are well protected in these channels so they are not washed away in the main stem.

Decades of developments have taken most of these habitats away from our fish, which becomes one of many factors for the decline of Pacific salmon. What the FVWC has done is quite amazing. Many creeks and wetlands have now been restored across the Fraser Valley, and the work continues. It tells us that if we build it, they will come.

It is also telling us that if human leave it alone just for a short period of time, nature will rebound pretty quickly. This is quite evident around the world during the current pandemic where human activities have been reduced to nil.

The end product of this project is in fact a short documentary film on the subject, which was going to be presented at This year's Chilliwack's All About Fishing but we all know how that went. In a couple of weeks from now, I will be sharing this video with all of you and I hope it will inspire you to get involved in volunteering, be more conscious on your footprints, and speak up for those who can't speak for themselves.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: You build it, they will come
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »

Thanks! Wonderful photos of you and your children plus a fish. What a surprise to find on a fishing discussion board!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 12:45:42 PM »

very cool. as i grow older i realise how important it is to give back. defiantly something i took for granted in my younger years

i have been frequenting visiting the little campbell hatchery this year in my down time. its the closest to my house. after talking with the staff it seems they have very few volunteers. i gave them my email address and said if they need help to fire me an email. they said we could always use help clipping coho in may. me and a couple friends are planning to help when the time comes. the fellow i was chatting with says he is the youngest of the staff and he was 70 years old. 

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 01:43:11 PM »

Nicely done Rod!  Just a reminder, all the proceeds from the annual Wally Hall Jr steelhead derby are donated to this group, the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 02:15:57 PM »

Nice work. Good job.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »

As ya said Rod  "nature rebounds quickly" .
Always amazed how from the start of their life ...from streams creeks channels & eventually into marshes and into the ocean ...3-4 yrs later returning to the very area of spawning & cycle restarts.
Imagine the dangers they face ...other fish ....commercial / sports fishermen ...storms ..pollution floods ..slides ..
Wonder how nature is rebounding in BC after the fires 2 yrs ago ?
Trees near lakes streams rivers ...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 08:36:54 PM »

Nicely done Rod!  Just a reminder, all the proceeds from the annual Wally Hall Jr steelhead derby are donated to this group, the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition.

Thanks Dave, that'll be shown in the video coming up.

FYI, we trapped some juvenile coho salmon too. The ratio between rainbow trout and coho is about 1 to 10.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:38:53 PM »

The salmon conservation surcharge which you pay with the licence goes to Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation, which is a proposal-driven organization providing grants to conservation-related projects across the province.
Rodney
Had you's received any support from said organized groups ? Or could have received any for this project .
This is an awesome job by all who were involved in this project . I hope these types of projects continue to go on for the future of all rivers in our LM back yard .
Sorry  ;D and all rest of BC
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »

These projects you see down in the Lower Vedder are funded by several sources. One is the proceeds from the Wally Hall Jr Memorial Derby are used by Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition to leverage at the government agencies so the funds are matched. Other funders include City of Chilliwack and Pacific Salmon Foundation. I may have missed other ones, but if you go down to the sites, you'll see signs with the funding organizations posted.

FVWC doesn't just do restorations on the Vedder, but they have done some on the Stave, and there are ongoing ones happening on the Coquihalla, Silverhope, etc. Anyone who wants to get involved or donate should check out their website, get on the email list, or follow their social media pages for updates.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »

To celebrate Earth Day, this video is being released tomorrow evening at 8:30pm. It's 10 minute long and hopefully many of you will share it with your friends and family.