Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Video: Sight Fishing for Coastal Cutthroat Trout  (Read 5875 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: New Video: Sight Fishing for Coastal Cutthroat Trout
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »

I think Ralph meant to include the conservation stuff as part of the catching video and not as a separate one, which is a good idea.
yes that's the idea I had.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »

wow, only the vedder is allowed for videos.

No secret freshwater locations

didn't say that either. I didn't even specifically criticize the video.

I responded to:

" Kitty narrated "But there is one fishery that is overlooked by most people, and that's fishing for coastal cutthroat"  Until now..."

which is historically untrue. Cutthroat attracted a lot of attention until they all but disappeared over much of South Western BC. They did not reach that state due to habitat degradation though that often followed. They still receive a lot of attention from those who choose to pursue them. Most don't talk about it much for reasons well known to themselves.

We've done plenty of conservation related videos, more than most shows have. They're not hard to find on my channel.

yes I have seen them. More than most shows? Depends on the type of show.

Many other shows seem to rely on absurd after thoughts like "Remember to conserve our waters and your catch!" Which means put your dead fish on ice and don't pee overboard?

So you are definitely much better there.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 06:31:38 PM »

Great video.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 06:51:06 PM »

Great video.
yes - very good good quality video. Rotten tomatoes rates in 90%+. That's a good thing.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »

I'd like to address a few things.

First of all, the video is a compilation of clips, and is filmed across a number of different creeks. It is not just one river or system being featured. If you recognize a clip or two, that's great, enjoy the fishing and don't fret - it's incredibly unlikely that most other people will have any clue of the location(s). They are not popular rivers by any means; I can say that after I spent 10 full days this year hiking my 4 favorites to only see 2 sets of footprints on a single one of those systems (the "busy" one).

I've spent probably close to 100 hours in the last 3 years exploring upwards of 120 km of different watersheds that would "likely" hold these large cutthroat. A handful of times have been complete busts, but other times you run into magical conditions. It's very time specific, and in a number of rivers, it's also very water dependent. It's a lot of work that the average angler isn't willing to commit, and often times simply can't time right based on scheduling and when rains occur.

As for the spawning comments - nearly every fish that sport anglers target in rivers in B.C. are in the rivers to spawn, and are migrating or staging to do so. The reason we encounter those large schools occasionally is because I specifically focus my efforts on the lower 1-4 km of each stream after a water event to intercept moving fish. Go back 2 days later, and where you found that school of 30-120 fish now may only contain one, and the others often seemingly vanish. Cutthroat are notorious for exceptionally short residency times, fast movements, and for spawning on high water events. In short though, we do not target spawning fish, and make every reasonable effort to not even encounter them. In the case of those big colored bucks, I would personally love to see photos of some bright silver ones that you guys have encountered. I've seen them looking like that (colored and kyped up) out in the salt and in large lakes in the summer - cutthroat often don't lose their sexual dimorphism/ secondary spawning characteristics after their first spawn.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 09:53:54 PM »

Beautiful video of beautiful fish.  I just wish i saw the flies she was using!  (or beads?)

We often use beads as searching patterns,  or when we know fish have just entered/ will be aggressive.

If we're onto a good school, and they've turned off after 1 or 2 fish (which is often the case), we'll switch it up. Stripped rolled muddlers can be deadly. Tungsten cased caddis nymphs (one was shown in the video) or pheasant tails (both in size 10) are other favorites. Some days a balanced leech does incredibly well. In the end though,  the water is so clear you can often watch your gear and how fish react and make changes accordingly.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 09:13:54 AM »

Thanks Dan and you always decline to publicly reveal the exact locations. Fishing videos are very often fantasies, an accumulation of  planning, logistics and film editing, artificial events most average anglers can't put together or reasonably expect to duplicate.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 06:40:06 PM »

As for the spawning comments - nearly every fish that sport anglers target in rivers in B.C. are in the rivers to spawn, and are migrating or staging to do so. The reason we encounter those large schools occasionally is because I specifically focus my efforts on the lower 1-4 km of each stream after a water event to intercept moving fish. Go back 2 days later, and where you found that school of 30-120 fish now may only contain one, and the others often seemingly vanish. Cutthroat are notorious for exceptionally short residency times, fast movements, and for spawning on high water events. In short though, we do not target spawning fish, and make every reasonable effort to not even encounter them. In the case of those big colored bucks, I would personally love to see photos of some bright silver ones that you guys have encountered. I've seen them looking like that (colored and kyped up) out in the salt and in large lakes in the summer - cutthroat often don't lose their sexual dimorphism/ secondary spawning characteristics after their first spawn.
I stand corrected. I did not know that Cuthroats once spawned keep their spawning colours. I have only ever caught small ones. Thanks for the education. Cheers

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 08:27:07 PM »

Not uncommon among rainbows and browns either.

obie1fish

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »

Excelllent points, Every Day. I loved the video, too. Beautiful fish, amazing setting.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 09:55:37 PM »

Excelllent points, Every Day. I loved the video, too. Beautiful fish, amazing setting.

Thanks!