Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 195344 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »

You only test wkrs that load the groceries at pickup spot outside the store. 3 wkrs 7am to 3pm & 3 other wkrs 3pm to 11pm.  3 wkrs a shift. Two guys load up groceries into car/SUV/pickup & the other 3rd wkr gets payment from customer.
6 wkrs is not a lot of wkrs to test ...plus a few more weekend shift.
Say 12 wkrs total per store that is in charge loading up groceries.
But the whole idea is to get crowds out of the store buying food & thus failing social distancing.
A chain is as strong as it's weakest link.
Social distancing & isolate in one's home is defeated by shopping in a crowded food store.

What about the clerk who picks up the groceries from the shelves ?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 08:09:36 PM »

What about the clerk who picks up the groceries from the shelves ?
I only worry about those 3-4 feet of me. ( pick up order customers do not enter the store ever )
So my concern right off is those loading my food in my SUV that I ordered via phone or www .
The worker inside the store I could care less or the wkrs across the oceans.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 09:12:30 PM »

Launches are closing all over the lower wasteland. Kawkawa closed, Stave Lake closed. I guess the government thinks you can spread and receive COVID 19 on a lake and not at Lowes when you stimulate the economy by buying hardware supplies.

STAY HOME ! they say. It's ok to go for a walk and go to the grocery store or share the same porta potty on a construction site with over 100 men who dont wash their hands. Just dont be alone in a lake cause that's bad.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:14:38 PM by Hike_and_fish »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 09:48:52 PM »

Must be harder to transfer being in the fresh outdrs than being inside a building.

Ralphy old boy ya do not have to test every wkr.
You only test wkrs that load the groceries at pickup spot outside the store. 3 wkrs 7am to 3pm & 3 other wkrs 3pm to 11pm.  3 wkrs a shift. Two guys load up groceries into car/SUV/pickup & the other 3rd wkr gets payment from customer.
6 wkrs is not a lot of wkrs to test ...plus a few more weekend shift.
Say 12 wkrs total per store that is in charge loading up groceries.
But the whole idea is to get crowds out of the store buying food & thus failing social distancing.
A chain is as strong as it's weakest link.
Social distancing & isolate in one's home is defeated by shopping in a crowded food store.

I think you need to look into things before you come with a solution. Test kits are in short supply. They are running out of them in the states where the outbreak is far more serious. As of right now the tests are done in a lab and that takes 24 hours.
Forced testing of even some people who otherwise don't have the disease  puts other people at risk with little or know probable payoff.

Perhaps you should watch but most workers in a supermarket have to touch the goods. They are touched by employees 2 or even 3 times minimum.

I know I am repeating what I wrote previously but it appears you neither read or understood it the first time around.

People also need to know that for every recognized positive case acknowledged in the news there are likely 10 or more out in the community that are diagnosed and unrecorded. Quarantine only works when there are limited cases and the carriers are known.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 10:28:11 PM »

Launches are closing all over the lower wasteland. Kawkawa closed, Stave Lake closed. I guess the government thinks you can spread and receive COVID 19 on a lake and not at Lowes when you stimulate the economy by buying hardware supplies.
Kilby is closed too.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 10:42:46 PM »

Cultas closed as well.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 11:16:24 PM »

Just saw on Fred’s website. The chilliwack store is temporarily closed now due to Covid-19.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 11:19:44 PM »

Boat launch at foot of Sunnyside boulevard at Cultus is still open.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 11:57:10 PM »

CohoJake - early in the discussion I said people who have to travel an appreciable distance - ie they have to drive more than a few minutes should sensibly refrain from fishing.
I don’t understand this. Nothing from the BC CDC preventative recommendations suggests that travelling an appreciable distance is risky and should be refrained from. http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/about-covid-19/prevention

Provided you maintain social distance and practice the recommended hygiene measures, driving alone in your vehicle to fish by yourself is not ill advised.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 12:46:23 AM »

I think you need to look into things before you come with a solution. Test kits are in short supply. They are running out of them in the states where the outbreak is far more serious. As of right now the tests are done in a lab and that takes 24 hours.
Forced testing of even some people who otherwise don't have the disease  puts other people at risk with little or know probable payoff.

Perhaps you should watch but most workers in a supermarket have to touch the goods. They are touched by employees 2 or even 3 times minimum.

I know I am repeating what I wrote previously but it appears you neither read or understood it the first time around.

People also need to know that for every recognized positive case acknowledged in the news there are likely 10 or more out in the community that are diagnosed and unrecorded. Quarantine only works when there are limited cases and the carriers are known.
RalphH ok Let's forget about about testing anyone. According to you as it is now it's impractical to test 12 workers who load pick up groceries.
Then will not argue with you.
My main point was the gov. wants schools closed....no sporting events....no walking on a White Rock pier, barber shop closed,play grounds closed, so forth but they say it's ok to go shopping in a big grocery store...full of people & workers & line up...hands on cart handles....hands grabbing those shopping baskets...
Even as Fish n hike stated grocery stores, ports potty ....
So on one hand the gov says isolate....but then it's ok to shop in crowded grocery stores...
So that's why we should just phone in our order & get it delivered to our door or we pick up the order outside the store.
This way we shoppers come into contact with less people ...as opposed going into a crowded store.
Being around a big crowd in a grocery store is not my idea of isolating which the gov. says is the only way to stop spreading this virus.
If you want to go into a crowded store...all the best.
I 'd rather phone in my order & pick it up outside the store. I want better odds of not catching it.
Going into the store is like a commercial net behind a boat.....picking up the groceries outside the store is like trolling one line behind the boat.
In other words going into a crowded store is like a commercial net to catch the virus & pickup is like a single line catching a virus ... ;D
Anyways hope you & other ladies & gentlemen girls & boys & teens & you old seniors ( hey that's me) stay healthy.
When I go into a crowded store it feels like I'm a zebra crossing a croc infested river.  :(

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:49:35 AM by A-BOATER »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 05:58:05 AM »

Boat launch at foot of Sunnyside boulevard at Cultus is still open.
Where is this? The only two launches I know of at Cultas have closed gates.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:02:09 AM by Wiseguy »

stsfisher

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »

STAY HOME ! they say. It's ok to go for a walk and go to the grocery store or share the same porta potty on a construction site with over 100 men who dont wash their hands. Just dont be alone in a lake cause that's bad.

X2

TNAngler

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 07:22:17 AM »

Yeah, also don't get the "don't travel long distances" thought.  If you life in high rise apartment, even staying at home and only shopping for groceries when needed seems risky with all those people around  Better wear gloves before touching anything outside your apartment because who knows who coughed on or touched that door handle to get outside.  Driving an hour to a lake where you are by yourself... where is the risk in that?

TNAngler

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 09:02:53 AM »

In fact Missouri agrees.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missouri-waive-fishing-permit-coronavirus

“Missouri’s rivers and streams offer high-quality fishing as a way for people to connect with nature while still complying with all health and safety recommendations,” MDC Director Sara Parker Pauley said in a statement on the department's website. “Fishing is also a great way to get some much-needed physical and mental health benefits during this stressful time.”

poper

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 10:02:01 AM »

If you use common sense and stay away from other people and parks, I don’t see why you can’t get fresh air and cast a rod, what’s the difference then going for walk?