Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 194931 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »

I think its only a matter of days before we see a total shutdown of everything but essential services.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »

Curious what you know about the full scale lock down?

The Federal Health Minister apparently concurs:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/03/21/trudeau-urges-canadians-to-avoid-travel-to-other-provinces.html

Some here understand a lot of my Family are Americans, and a great many of those are in their Military.

One of my cousins is high up in the US National Guard. He, and all of their members were called up to Active Duty as of yesterday.
Military leaves have been cancelled and most I know also received return to base marching orders.
The concerning note is that these folks were informed "This is a live ammunition exercise".
Real Lock down may be coming sooner for them than later methinks...

Trudeau and Blair are said to be discussing imposing the Emergency Measures Act.
I imagine the latter is rubbing his hands with glee at the thought.
If they do this, the entire country will be shut down and that enforced via police and military units.

Scary Times,
Nog - Under Medical Lockdown

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 07:53:14 PM »

I can certainly understand what is going on. Hell I stocked up before most people did. We can be on lock down for 8 months. I do find it awfully confusing why they do not enforce current social distancing rules before they try to enforce a greater lockdown. It doesnt make sense. I stand a higher chance of getting the virus at the pharmacy or Save On Foods. I am not allowed to walk my dog ? Or go from my house to the boat launch in Mission ? It doesnt make any sense. Zero sense. When they institute a nation wide lock down order I'll be completely disappointed in out Federal government. Heck even the simultaneous package isnt nearly enough if you do the math. It's a joke. I've also heard it's been nearly impossible for those who have been laid off to get this phantom 6 month mortgage deferral they speak of.

Robert_G

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 01:54:33 PM »

Superstore has only 1 out of 2 checkouts open. They are lined up around the perimeter of the store. Over an hour wait if you have a buggy full....and you won't be coming out with everything you were hoping to either.
Peaceful days grocery shopping in stores fully stocked is something hopefully we won't take for granted anymore.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 01:06:29 PM »

Trying to social distance but going to crowded grocery store & lineups defeats the purpose.
Possibly grocery stores can fill orders vis phone & deliver.
Or we phone in /email orders & we pick up at appt. time ...we do not even have to get out of vehicle.
Have grocery wkrs wear masks & have them checked (swab.) to make sure they are not sick ( some have barely any symptoms ).

Robert_G

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »

Possibly grocery stores can fill orders vis phone & deliver.

Some people are saying their orders are as much as 10 days away right now. That doesn't work for a little old lady in her apartment.

Robert_G

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 02:15:04 PM »

Have grocery wkrs wear masks & have them checked (swab.) to make sure they are not sick ( some have barely any symptoms ).

The CV doesn't work that way. If it was as simple as a swab, then more people would be getting tested and results wouldn't take days to get back.
There are perfectly healthy people carrying the virus that would need to be tested every day before they go to work at the grocery store. Not realistic.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »

It appears the liberals were forced to abandon their insane plot to grant them dictatorial powers by opposition members:

National coronavirus update, March 24: Parliament suspends emergency session

It appears that the government is continuing to negotiate details of the legislation with opposition parties after the Conservatives balked at a provision that would have given the government sweeping powers to unilaterally spend, borrow and change taxation levels without the approval of Parliament.

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/national-coronavirus-update-march-24-parliament-suspends-emergency-session/

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »

It appears the liberals were forced to abandon their insane plot to grant them dictatorial powers by opposition members:

OOPS! Not So Fast!

They pulled the "most offending" clause, but left in others that do much the same thing:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-liberals-pull-one-controversial-tax-and-spend-measure-from-emergency/

It appears "negotiations" are still underway as they have yet to recall...

Stay Tuned...
Nog

arimaBOATER

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »

The CV doesn't work that way. If it was as simple as a swab, then more people would be getting tested and results wouldn't take days to get back.
There are perfectly healthy people carrying the virus that would need to be tested every day before they go to work at the grocery store. Not realistic.
Say a wkr wearing mask has the virus but not showing symptoms & he's loading up the car with bags of food the customer ordered. Though he's positive with virus it does not mean he will transfer it to every person he comes close to. But if wkrs get swabbed & even if it takes days to get results at least he can be taken off the job & get isolated. All wkrs in the food stores dealing with public should be tested on going. Think it's realistic.
No use having a system of pick up groceries & have virus infected wkrs loading your car/SUV ...

No system is perfect but it's about control & stopping /slowing the big spread....curve....
But to have people in the food store running around & grabbing basket handles or cart handle is Russian roulette.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 05:53:50 PM »

To get back on topic - FYI - Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife has announced they are closing all state parks, wildlife access areas & boat launches, but they still insist that fishing is still "open" - they just want to discourage people from traveling to do it. US National parks have started to close as well, with roads being gated off.  It isn't too much of a leap to expect they are also going to close certain "popular" fisheries to prevent large crowds of people from congregating. 

How busy do the trout lakes get around Vancouver and up the valley?  Busy enough that the Freshwater Fisheries Society would stop stocking to slow things down a bit?  Or maybe stocking isn't "essential" anyway.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 06:02:59 PM »

Took a drive up the Chiliwack River. Tamahi and Thurston campgrounds are now closed. Not many people around. Saw about 6 cars parked at the prison run. Hopefully they are fishing 6 feet apart.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 06:05:12 PM »

Say a wkr wearing mask has the virus but not showing symptoms & he's loading up the car with bags of food the customer ordered. Though he's positive with virus it does not mean he will transfer it to every person he comes close to. But if wkrs get swabbed & even if it takes days to get results at least he can be taken off the job & get isolated. All wkrs in the food stores dealing with public should be tested on going. Think it's realistic.
No use having a system of pick up groceries & have virus infected wkrs loading your car/SUV ...

No system is perfect but it's about control & stopping /slowing the big spread....curve....
But to have people in the food store running around & grabbing basket handles or cart handle is Russian roulette.

there is a critical shortage of test kits. The samples have to be sent to a lab so testing everyone who works in a grocery stores isn't practical. Personally I'd worry more about other customers as employees are already briefed on protocols and know not to report to work if they match risk criteria - ie they have returned from outside Canada, had contact with a person who has been, has the virus or if they have a fever.  While it's possible the virus can be spread from droplets or mist in the air this is the least likely means of transmission. People need to keep the recommended distances from each other. Some stores are installing shields between the cashier and the customer. Only go shopping when needed.

All those steps will reduce the already low risk of contracting the virus.

CohoJake - early in the discussion I said people who have to travel an appreciable distance - ie they have to drive more than a few minutes should sensibly refrain from fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 06:32:31 PM »

Took a drive up the Chiliwack River. Tamahi and Thurston campgrounds are now closed. Not many people around. Saw about 6 cars parked at the prison run. Hopefully they are fishing 6 feet apart.
Must be harder to transfer being in the fresh outdrs than being inside a building.

Ralphy old boy ya do not have to test every wkr.
You only test wkrs that load the groceries at pickup spot outside the store. 3 wkrs 7am to 3pm & 3 other wkrs 3pm to 11pm.  3 wkrs a shift. Two guys load up groceries into car/SUV/pickup & the other 3rd wkr gets payment from customer.
6 wkrs is not a lot of wkrs to test ...plus a few more weekend shift.
Say 12 wkrs total per store that is in charge loading up groceries.
But the whole idea is to get crowds out of the store buying food & thus failing social distancing.
A chain is as strong as it's weakest link.
Social distancing & isolate in one's home is defeated by shopping in a crowded food store.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:34:19 PM by A-BOATER »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 06:51:29 PM »

Ok, I'll bite -

Random testing is next to useless without serious containment and quarantine measures.  This means that everyone who tests positive must be put into REAL quarantine, and everyone who they had contact with must be tested and quarantined until their results are back.  Anything less will slightly slow the transmission rate, but the end result will be equally tragic.

Yes, everyone should only fish if it is close.  But at a certain point, even that can get too crowded.