Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 195190 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« on: March 18, 2020, 11:22:15 AM »

Well, as the previously unthinkable continues to unfold, I have been starting to wonder about this.  I guess I shouldn't say I'm worried, because fishing is a privilege and I am far more concerned about the health of those I love, including my younger sister who is a doctor in her residency. But here it is:

Fishing Charters on the Washington coast have been cancelled because ports are being shut down. The border has been closed to non-essential traffic. For the first time since 9/11, I am thinking there is a real possibility I won't be able to fish in BC this fall. 

Salmon seasons are in the midst of being set, yet the season-setting process is dependent on a series of large meetings.   Are those meeting being postponed or moved online? My local salmon habitat enhancement group has suspended meetings and work parties for the foreseeable future.

Will hatcheries continue to stock local lakes for spring trout fishing? How many of these jobs/activities will be deemed "non-essential" and suspended/delayed?

Everyone stay safe and healthy. I've made many friends on this board over the years (and on the river).  I hope to see them again soon.

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »

--If Co's have to stay 6 ft away, how will they be able to check your license?  Sorry , just being a Dick but couldn't resist.

--One would think rec fishing would be a good way to self-isolate and it could also produce needed food without going to a store.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 12:23:31 PM »

--If Co's have to stay 6 ft away, how will they be able to check your license?  Sorry , just being a Dick but couldn't resist.

--One would think rec fishing would be a good way to self-isolate and it could also produce needed food without going to a store.
Both of those points do raise concerns for me though. The first being, are there going to be sufficient resources for enforcement of regulations?  The second being, is there going to be an increase in poaching and people taking way more than their limit because they are desperate?

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »

I think of this extended time away from work to be a time to reinforce the "recreational" in angling. I want to try new waters. It's a good time to get out in the fresh air, away from others- unless, of course, we're still in a state of emergency in September and one likes to fish the Vedder Canal!  ;)

wallygator24

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »

I'm still seeing canadians cross the border into the U.S to get their mail and fuel, so the definition of "essential travel" will be up each individual.  That being said, the border is not really closed and you can see that they have staffing to run the lanes.  I plan on going to fish since I know that people are crossing the border to get their mail and fuel.  I have a license so I intend to use it.  That being said, be safe. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 08:51:07 PM »

The closure of the border isn't in place as yet. It's expected to take place tomorrow.

I struggle with going fishing or not but there is no way it could be considered "essential travel". Having bought a license counts for zip and within 2 weeks all licenses expire.

The more people ignore the recommendation to avoid all but essential travel the more likely a near complete lock down will be imposed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:10:13 PM »

We are so far down this rabbit hole that at this point it doesn't matter what restrictions are placed and what aren't.
If this goes on longer than about 3 months (which it probably will), we will all be learning a 'new normal' in so many aspects of life we won't know what is up or down.
This has been coming for a long time. I'm not going to argue whether this whole thing was orchestrated or not. Whether it was an accident or on purpose....neither would surprise me, but this sort of thing was always coming. Unless this gets nipped in the bud extremely quickly (which is unlikely), very little is going to be the same when we come out of it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »

We are so far down this rabbit hole that at this point it doesn't matter what restrictions are placed and what aren't.
If this goes on longer than about 3 months (which it probably will), we will all be learning a 'new normal' in so many aspects of life we won't know what is up or down.
This has been coming for a long time. I'm not going to argue whether this whole thing was orchestrated or not. Whether it was an accident or on purpose....neither would surprise me, but this sort of thing was always coming. Unless this gets nipped in the bud extremely quickly (which is unlikely), very little is going to be the same when we come out of it.

Yep

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 01:21:45 PM »

It would be interesting to watch social distancing being applied on the gravel bars of the Fraser during sockeye season   :)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 04:07:39 PM »

It would be interesting to watch social distancing being applied on the gravel bars of the Fraser during sockeye season   :)
I dont think you will have to worry about that for many, many years, if at all.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 08:56:31 PM »

Here's an example of the kind of closures I'm concerned about, with scheduled razor clam digs on Washington's coast being cancelled because of the number of people that travel and congregate during these digs:

""WDFW is responsive to the needs of local communities, and we manage razor clams in consultation with our coastal communities to ensure sustainable harvest," said Larry Phillips, WDFW's coastal region director. "But, under these circumstances, we need to include more than sustainable harvest in our decision making and do what is the best for the community. We understand that the county health department is responding to a global pandemic and WDFW is cancelling these digs to support that work and keep folks healthy."

There was a lot of dialogue and a fairly long process to approve these digs in light of COVID-19 concerns, and it has been a rapidly evolving issue, he added.  "Typically, we would want to provide much more notice before cancelling a razor clam dig," said Phillips.

Given the level of concern expressed in the communities, and the fact that some of the beaches open to razor clam digging fall within multiple counties, we also elected to close all currently open beaches to razor clam digging in order to provide consistency in approach, added Phillips."

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 05:23:30 AM »

National parks are closed.
BC Parks are restricting access ( Sasquach is closed )

Soon all BC Parks will be  locked. BC Hydro can do whatever they want so I assume launches will be closed with them soon if not already.

Next week is going to have a full scale lock down order put into place so nobody will be fishing. Except maybe FN communities of course.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 06:11:42 AM »

The best activity at this time is fishing.

obie1fish

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 09:34:32 PM »

Did my part for social distancing by fishing the very low Harrison the other day. Not much activity but a stroll by Calamity produced an interesting haul. My buddy ang I picked up quite a few jigs and lures- even a double hook 4/0 mooching leader.

Can't get the picture to post. A few of the lures were keepers.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:50:07 PM by obie1fish »

avid angler

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 09:49:48 PM »

National parks are closed.
BC Parks are restricting access ( Sasquach is closed )

Soon all BC Parks will be  locked. BC Hydro can do whatever they want so I assume launches will be closed with them soon if not already.

Next week is going to have a full scale lock down order put into place so nobody will be fishing. Except maybe FN communities of course.

Curious what you know about the full scale lock down? I haven’t really heard anything of the sort. Wondering what exactly is coming down the pipe?