Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposed June sturgeon fishing closure for Lower Fraser River  (Read 15575 times)

stsfisher

Re: Proposed June sturgeon fishing closure for Lower Fraser River
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 12:37:18 PM »

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing/fishing-regulations

Here is a copy paste to the link provided by Rod in his original post.
 I have gone there a few times trying to find more info, however I have not been able to find anything? Maybe someone has a different link to the public consultation page?
I will be trying to get more info via the email link provided as well in the mean time.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »

"...will be posted when available..." ;)

As mentioned earlier, region 2 biologists who are working on this will be at my event Chilliwack's All About Fishing on March 14th for anyone who wishes to ask questions and provide them feedbacks in person. More info soon.

stsfisher

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 01:13:18 PM »

Thank you Rod, so our comments here and other forums are the only location to discuss until further notice...........  ;)
Everyone has read the proposal before commenting right? And it is a proposal which is open for consultations...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 01:21:51 PM »

I guess policy direction by Facebook posts? Here I thought it was via Twitter feed! Which do you think is more reliable since you don't seem to bother with what's stated by FN bands via their council statements.

I put a lot of weight into what members like Ken malloway have to say considering they have been really accurate over the last 4 years.

I also never said that they were going to go after it as in fishing for them. However they said if they cant use gill nets then close down Catch and Release rec sturg fishing.  As you know a lot of noise in the last few years has been made about gillnets in the Fraser largery by the rec fishing community.

its been a threat presented in a number of different forums.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:33:22 PM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 01:34:44 PM »

"...will be posted when available..." ;)

As mentioned earlier, region 2 biologists who are working on this will be at my event Chilliwack's All About Fishing on March 14th for anyone who wishes to ask questions and provide them feedbacks in person. More info soon.

Rod I know a number of prominent sports fishing industry people were involved with this behind the scenes. Is there generally support from these industry people for the june closure?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 02:07:12 PM »

there has been concern within the angling community concerning the extent of angling pressure that's been placed on sturgeon in the last period of years. Calls to reform how the fishery operates isn't restricted to certain members of FN peoples.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

spoiler

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 06:34:24 PM »

unfortunately the FN group would love nothing more than keeping the sturgeon guides and fishermen off the river.
less eyes to see what's actually taking place out there in the way of illegal netting and harvesting of sturgeon sold to downtown restaurants in Chinatown!

4x4

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 02:33:07 PM »

unfortunately the FN group would love nothing more than keeping the sturgeon guides and fishermen off the river.
less eyes to see what's actually taking place out there in the way of illegal netting and harvesting of sturgeon sold to downtown restaurants in Chinatown!

Agreed, but don't paint all FN with the same brush.
I've seen FN releasing Sturgeon around the Fort Langley area more than once during their Salmon openings but I've also had a few people tell me that they could buy Sturgeon meat from individuals in Mission also. This is no secret.
Some bands (I'm not sure how many or possibly all) want to be able to keep some Sturgeon for food. I read an article a few months ago re this.

Poaching is a larger problem than we hear about imo and there are all types of people doing it. Sturgeon = money.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:44:41 PM by 4x4 »

4x4

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »

For anyone that is interested here's a cut and paste from my FlyBC posting.

I'm a hardcore Sturgeon guy and fish for them more than any other type of fishery the last 5 years. I'm glad to see the closure.

Herrling Island area above and below gets hammered that time of year because that's where the fish are. Most people can have multiple fish days at the bars mentioned. Female Sturgeon hooked multiple times reabsorb their eggs and cannot spawn successfully. These fish aren't fast growing. They don't have the same cycles of Salmon.

Poor spawn rates coupled with dead fish from improper handling, Sturgeon caught in nets that don't survive (look at the Albion and Whonnock test sets), poaching (which is way to common. 2 heads were found of approx a 5ft and 8 ft Sturgeon at the mouth of the Stave River this past Nov. The poachers had hook sets hanging off a net from the train bridge. It was reported )...... are all taking it's toll on these slow reproducing fish. One dead 7 ft Sturgeon is approx 30 - 40 years old. This fishery can't take multiple fish deaths since these fish take so long to acquire their large size. Every fish is important.

I get how this may affect the guides but something has to be done or they will not have a viable fishery in the near future.  The added bonus of a June closure would be that many people excluding Guides don't fish the high water. The Fraser is quite imposing during that time of year and imo should be left to people that know the river and high water well.

I would like to see a closure of the wintering holes also from Dec 15 to March 15th. If you know the holes, you can catch fish non stop all day. Most of these fish are small mostly 4ft and under even though you can  hook 5-6 ft with the odd larger fish mixed in. Sturgeon can still be caught in the main stem Fraser in the winter but are not as abundant as other seasons. At this time of year the fish are sluggish due to low water temperatures and don't revive as well. You also have  higher snag rates since some fish will sit on the food to be eaten later.

In the first year I had my boat I fished a certain wintering hole twice and decided to not do it again for my own ethical reasons. I also won't fish for Sturgeon with water temps under 40 degrees.

I remember in 2015 when we where out Sturgeon fishing towards the end of Dec, we were next to a guide boat with customers. I was talking with the guide later and he said he was involved in a tagging program and that's why he was fishing the wintering holes. Most guides on their sites advertise year round Sturgeon fishing and I was told many of them are tagging that time of year.

This is a very complicated issue. People from all over the world come to BC with their money that supports so many different industries while fishing for these magnificent fish. We need to do more for these bucket list brutes if we want to enjoy them and what they bring to us into the future.

I'm hoping some of the guides will chime in and give us a clearer picture of what they feel needs to be done or changed to make sure we will always have these fish around.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/docs/ws_guidelines.pdf

https://hctf.ca/sturgeon-handling-video-debut/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg7zC95ei5wIVSx-tBh3dLgVsEAAYASAAEgINhfD_BwE

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:23:55 PM by 4x4 »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 03:45:52 PM »

I'm hoping some of the guides will chime in and give us a clearer picture of what they feel needs to be done or changed to make sure we will always have these fish around.

I am somewhat shocked we have not had a statement from Dean Werk yet. I suspect there is a fine thread that needs to be weaved through a tight needle on this subject.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »

I am somewhat shocked we have not had a statement from Dean Werk yet. I suspect there is a fine thread that needs to be weaved through a tight needle on this subject.
X2

spoiler

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 06:01:26 PM »

100% agree with you 4x4!
I have many first nations friends that are very aware of the situation with Sturgeon on the Fraser as well as the other fisheries and are very law abiding

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »

hmmm......

3. First Nations Food, Social and Ceremonial Fishery Opportunities

In 2019, Lower Fraser First Nations had a total of approximately 8 weekends of fishing. Often these are
impeded by Recreational fisheries that result in their fishers anchoring or passing through drifting, set
netting and beach seine sites. With such limited opportunity and time to pursue a portion of our annual
salmon needs, DFO and the Province must take action in 2020 to eliminate all Recreational fisheries during
Lower Fraser FSC fisheries. It is imperative that FSC opportunities are practiced safely and that the limited
time on the water is achieved with every chance to be reasonably successful.

Sincerely,
Ken Malloway, Chair Sally Hope, Co-Chair
Lower Fraser Fisheries Alliance Lower Fraser Fisheries Alliance

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 06:10:59 PM »

hmmm......

3. First Nations Food, Social and Ceremonial Fishery Opportunities

In 2019, Lower Fraser First Nations had a total of approximately 8 weekends of fishing. Often these are
impeded by Recreational fisheries that result in their fishers anchoring or passing through drifting, set
netting and beach seine sites. With such limited opportunity and time to pursue a portion of our annual
salmon needs, DFO and the Province must take action in 2020 to eliminate all Recreational fisheries during
Lower Fraser FSC fisheries. It is imperative that FSC opportunities are practiced safely and that the limited
time on the water is achieved with every chance to be reasonably successful.

Sincerely,
Ken Malloway, Chair Sally Hope, Co-Chair
Lower Fraser Fisheries Alliance Lower Fraser Fisheries Alliance
Makes me wonder if this June closure is to stop rec anglers from "impeding" with early chinook "FSC" opportunities.....