Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will there be a used tackle sale this fall?  (Read 4586 times)

bobby b

Will there be a used tackle sale this fall?
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:07:34 AM »

Any one know if there will be a used Fishing Tackle Swap Meet and Sale taking place in Chilliwack this year?

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Will there be a used tackle sale this fall?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »

I remember it usually happen during steelhead season. I'd say middle Dec

fisherforever

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 01:33:26 PM »

2019 FVSS used tackle and swap meet Saturday Dec. 14/19, 9:00am to 1;00pm. Location: Carman United Church. 7258 Vedder Rd Chilliwack

bobby b

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 03:28:17 PM »

Great thanks!

I figured I would ask now as some of the previous years it was in Nov

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 11:08:48 AM »

There'll also be another one in the spring during the "Chilliwack's All About Fishing" event. Tentative date is March 14th.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 12:03:57 PM »

2019 FVSS used tackle and swap meet Saturday Dec. 14/19, 9:00am to 1;00pm. Location: Carman United Church. 7258 Vedder Rd Chilliwack
Thanks for posting this for us. The Dec. time is a good time for a sale as there is a lull in fishing as salmon is over and steelhead has not started.

Also a good place to do your Christmas shopping for the fisher in your family.

Right now I have 8 people intersted in a table.Aylssa and I are co chairing the sale and you can PM me for furher details or book a table, $30 for FVSS members and $40 for non members which gives you a 2020 membership in the FVSS. Refreshments by donation and hoping the directors will pass me getting some door prizes etc.

Also a good time to tak to our president Dean Werk about where we should be going with the recreational fishery.

If you come to the sale consider renewing your membership or join, only $10 or lifetime $100.

I know the FVSS is going to be more active getting fishing opporunity for rectrational angler. Many of you may not know the FVSS started in 1984
 and it was their work that got us a lot of fishing opporunity in the past.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:06:34 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 12:04:10 PM »

Our History - FVSS

By Chris Gadsden

On a hot humid day in May of 1984, on the 29th to be exact, 250 concerned Fraser River fishermen gathered in Evergreen Hall in Chilliwack. The agenda before them was to see if there was enough interest to form an organization to see what could be done to reopen the Fraser to the retention of adult chinooks. This once popular fishery had been closed since 1980. At the time of the meeting only chinook jacks up to 50 centimeters to a maxim limit of 4 per day could be retained.

What had triggered this meeting was the May 3, 1984 ticket received by the late Peter Epp, a long time Fraser River fisherman, for retaining an adult chinook. He caught it at the mouth of the Sumas River where it meets the Fraser, a popular spot for chinook fishing that usually started in April.

Sports fishers are among the best conservationists and law abiding user groups, and they did not support breaking the law, but it still seemed to many anglers that there was imbalance going on here regarding the allotment of these Pacific Salmon to the freshwater fishery. At this time in the ocean 30 chinook a year could be retained by a salt water angler.

During the time of the 4 year closure, the sporties on the Fraser River were the only user group not being able to retain adult chinooks, and they were the ones that science said has the least impact. As well, sports' fishing contributes millions of dollars to the economy in British Columbia, but the several businesses in the Fraser Valley suffered from the loss of this fishery.

Chris Gadsden and Fred Helmer Jr. presided at this meeting and outlined their reasons and goals for calling it. They were amazed and encouraged by the attendance at this original gathering. The attendees also gave the group a financial kick start tossing $322.51 into the hat that was passed through the crowd.

Individual anglers found at this meeting they had many allies and collectively they concluded there was strength in unity to press for changes.

At this meeting an executive of 18 was elected to formulate a game plan to how to try to reopen the fishery. Fred Helmer Sr. was elected to the presidency.

At the newly elected board's first executive meeting 2 days later, the name Fraser Valley Salmon Society was selected along with a crest design.

The newly-formed board determined a number of noteworthy points to work on that included:

1 Justice -- salt water limit vs. fresh water.

2 Develop a punch-card system similar to the saltwater one in use.

3 Enforcement of present regulations.

4 Inability of DFO to establish sport salmon catch numbers in the Fraser River.

5 Self policing being the presence of law abiding fisherman returning to the river.

A month later another general meeting was called where petitions and form letters were circulated to be sent to the then Liberal Fisheries Minister Pierre De Bane were circulated and filled out by the 100 interested fishers that turned out.

During the next couple of months the group was frustrated by a number of changes in the fisheries portfolio as De Bane was replaced soon after the letter writing campaign started being replaced on June 30 by The Honorable Herb Breau.

A little over 2 months later, on September 17, a new government, The Conservatives, were sworn into power with the Honorable John Fraser being appointed the new Fisheries minister.

The FVSS felt good about Fraser's appointment. With the same name as the Fraser River, was there some justice here? Fraser also was from the West Coast and was a sports angler himself, so the hope was he could identify the problems at hand.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 06:47:46 PM »

Don Campbell will be there with his famous reels he just phoned me and has several for sale. An excellent Christmas gift for the fishers in your family.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 06:26:42 PM »

A reminder of the used tackle sale next Saturday Dec. 14 put on by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society, 9AM to 1PM at Carman United Church United Church on Vedder Road in Chilliwack. No admission and we have several free door prizes for those attending. Right now we have 15 vendors who say they are attending. Also a display put on by the Fraser Valley Illegal Dumping Alliance. Don Campbell with his famous reels he makes will be there and also Prime Lures. Of course a large selection of reels, rods and may other goodies to do your Christmas shopping. Refreshments by donation too.

Quin

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 02:57:31 PM »

Hey Rod,
Will you have a table at the sale??

Great to hear that there will be Campbell reels there!!

Thanks
Rob

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »

I've got bar fishing equipment for cheap. Probably will never see the light of day again in the Fraser.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:23:48 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »

Thanks to all that came and supported the sale yesterday.

YESFISH

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 09:09:52 PM »

Is there much interest in saltwater gear.