Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decline Of Steelhead On Global Tonight.  (Read 29811 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Decline Of Steelhead On Global Tonight.
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »

Is there not anything that could be done? Maybe banning removing a wild fish from the water? More COs patrols to promote handling techniques and and regulations. Not
Dfo officers but COs this fishery is their baby. What about more creel surveys to document what’s going on?

What about an actual method to measure in season abundance?

The success of top rods is hardly a measure of anything. The guys like you that are the best on the flow will find the fish.  Something I hear you are quit successful at. The day you stop finding fish is probably the day we can declare there are non left

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:07:07 PM by wildmanyeah »

avid angler

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »

No wild fish out of water would be a huge step in the right direction. It’s just so hard to say how much of the tougher fishing is due to less fish returning and now how much of it is more pressure with significantly less good holding water. The steelhead in the vedder are drastically changing there behaviour. I think there should be way more consultation with the guys who catch lots of fish. They are a much better indication of whats actually going on out there then the Masses of guys who just fluke there way into a couple bites a year. I also think there should be a couple of hand picked quality anglers that fish through the closed sections they swim count to give a better idea of just how effective the swim count is. I know last year of a 20+ fish day in one pool  (some were stale and had definitely been around a while) in one spot the day after the snorkelers personally told me they counted 0 fish in that hole. I think I recall them saying they estimate they see about 30% of the fish. I personally think it is much lower then that in many different kinds of holding water.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:23:04 PM by avid angler »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2020, 04:17:14 PM »

Historically the Stamp did not have much of a winter run. What produced the winter run was the fishways at Stamp Falls and the hatchery program. For a number of years the winter run has been so low many people who regularly fished it no longer do. I think most of the winter fish are taken in the Somass and return to the Sproat.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2020, 04:32:25 PM »

Historically the Stamp did not have much of a winter run. What produced the winter run was the fishways at Stamp Falls and the hatchery program. For a number of years the winter run has been so low many people who regularly fished it no longer do. I think most of the winter fish are taken in the Somass and return to the Sproat.
Correct! The Sproat is doing much better. Last yrs winter run on the Stamp was only at 200 fish. The Stamp summer run is doing much better then the winter run. Same thing on the Heber which is a tributary of the Gold. Fall of 2017 the Stamp had 7500 return returning summers. Fall of 2018 only 750. Last years winters return on the Stamp was only at 200 fish. Hardly worth a trip over there for winters. :'(

stsfisher

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »

What about an actual method to measure in season abundance?

The province has " river guardians " doing angler surveys  this winter season. I have run into them, answered all their question in hopes something good will come of it. Funny when talking with them they feel their presence is not always welcome by most steelhead anglers, mostly the younger generation?

avid angler

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2020, 07:13:08 PM »

I think people get the opinion their trying to get things shut down. At least that’s the impression I’ve gotten from others. I haven’t seen them yet this year

stsfisher

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »

I think people get the opinion their trying to get things shut down. At least that’s the impression I’ve gotten from others. I haven’t seen them yet this year
You may be right, but my thought is, because I have seen it first hand for many years is that the new breed of steelheaders really only care about themselves. I would say in the last 10 years the spike in unfriendly encounters has risen 10 fold on the river. I will add I make an effort to not fish with others but am open to a friendly "hello" back when I offer one every time. I can only imagine how many more anglers a guardian dressed in full provincial garb gets the lowered head, when approached

stsfisher

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2020, 07:23:09 PM »

I will also add that atleast one of these guardians is a steelhead angller himself. I would have to think his efforts are not intended to get the fishery shut down.

avid angler

« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2020, 08:35:44 PM »

I’m not saying thats their intention I’ve just heard that opinion circulating. The new generation of steelheaders only care about people thinking their “gettin em” and that their the man. Plus getting pictures for their Instagram and Facebook accounts. Unfortunately a ton of fish get abused for these photo sessions. Because for these guys it’s not about the fish.
Which is why I think the Washington state wild fish handling rules need to come into effect here.

redside1

« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2020, 08:04:44 AM »

Correct! The Sproat is doing much better. Last yrs winter run on the Stamp was only at 200 fish. The Stamp summer run is doing much better then the winter run. Same thing on the Heber which is a tributary of the Gold. Fall of 2017 the Stamp had 7500 return returning summers. Fall of 2018 only 750. Last years winters return on the Stamp was only at 200 fish. Hardly worth a trip over there for winters. :'(

big part on the number of summer runs that make it back to the Stamp is directly related to the number of opening for both commercial and FN's sockeye fishing.
Less opening equals more summer runs virtually every year. Lots of opening, not so many.
Not quite the indicator of how many are trying to come back.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »

I am surprised with all of the concern and on-line chatter about the concerns of Steelhead, I have not yet seen any mention or discussion of the upcoming Steelhead Society meeting tomorrow in Langley.  I have seen form members post links to very informative presentations that were filmed at past Steelhead Society meetings, and many positive comments about the content and information found in the presentations.

I will be attending the meeting tomorrow.
It is at 10:00 in Langley:
http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news

Kinda sad and a bit of a mystery that there are no current posts about this upcoming event on any of the forums, or even mention in this thread.

Recently, I posted about an opportunity to see a video from the Watershed Society on the plight of the Fraser River.
As someone who attended this movie presentation, I can safely say the number of members from this forum who attended were 0.

As a member of the Steelhead society, I have been involved in the past in river clean-ups, bank stabilization, and habitat restoration.

As I see it, there are many members who are content to gripe, complain, be angry, and let lots of people on a public forum know about their thoughts and feelings.  There are few of these same people who are willing to look to try to do something about it.

Dano

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2020, 02:43:23 PM »

Dan, we are concerned about steelhead fishing opportunities, not steelhead themselves. ;D

As I see it, there are many members who are content to gripe, complain, be angry, and let lots of people on a public forum know about their thoughts and feelings.  There are few of these same people who are willing to look to try to do something about it.

Dano

yep.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2020, 03:06:10 PM »

Dano
This forum is indeed a platform for people to bitch and complain, but it's also a good place for thoughts to be presented.  In this particular thread there have been several good ideas that I hope will be considered at the management level.  For sure, support the SSBC and hopefully they will be a part of the solution.
In fairness to your surprise no one from this forum showed up at your presentation, I'm pretty sure it's been available on line for months.

stsfisher

« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »

In fairness to your surprise no one from this forum showed up at your presentation, I'm pretty sure it's been available on line for months.
Yes sir.

redside1

« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2020, 08:26:28 PM »

I am surprised with all of the concern and on-line chatter about the concerns of Steelhead, I have not yet seen any mention or discussion of the upcoming Steelhead Society meeting tomorrow in Langley.  I have seen form members post links to very informative presentations that were filmed at past Steelhead Society meetings, and many positive comments about the content and information found in the presentations.

I will be attending the meeting tomorrow.
It is at 10:00 in Langley:
http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news

Kinda sad and a bit of a mystery that there are no current posts about this upcoming event on any of the forums, or even mention in this thread.

Recently, I posted about an opportunity to see a video from the Watershed Society on the plight of the Fraser River.
As someone who attended this movie presentation, I can safely say the number of members from this forum who attended were 0.

As a member of the Steelhead society, I have been involved in the past in river clean-ups, bank stabilization, and habitat restoration.

Dano

Don’t assume no one on this board will not be at the ssbc meeting tomorrow just because they don’t talk about here.
Those that have an interest to learn and do something will be there.