Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How far can centerpin cast reach  (Read 8266 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
How far can centerpin cast reach
« on: December 05, 2019, 11:10:14 PM »

I can only cast 30-40 feet. the accuracy is also awful, always  switch 30-45 degree from the direction where I want to cast.
Any tips?

bobby b

Re: How far can centerpin cast reach
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »

Centerpin is not gonna give you as distant a cast as a bait cast or spinning reel. More weight will help esp when new to Centerpin. Accuracy comes with practice...practice ...practice. I can repeatedly cast to the same spot at a reasonable distance. For most really wide runs, distance wise, your pretty much limited to mid river or just beyond.

essyoo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 09:18:08 AM »

I've only tried it once with my setup so far, but found this video super helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAUHV1qAk8

it seems to me that tuning the amount of weight to the rod/reel/casting technique is the key to unlocking the whole thing? Looking forward to practicing this more.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 10:03:44 AM »

you are allowing the spool to turn a bit before making the cast?

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »

i suggest adding more weight for people that are new to center pin fishing. as you become better subtract the weight. you need to learn how to load the rod. 

ribolovac02

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 05:39:57 PM »

Obviously , precision comes with practice, so will distance, on a river like the vedder , if you got good at your casting , there should be very few runs , if any ,actually , that you can’t reach the other bank .
This should give you an idea , how much more you gotta practice lol ,  ;D ;D ;D, bit of a joke , no hard feelings , it is true tho...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »

Considering the strain on my risk from retrieving 100+ feet of line, shorter cast and shorter drag free drifts are better!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 09:43:54 PM »

Thanks for the input.
It seems the rod matters in terms of casting. I used a 10' baitcasting rod practice before. Today I switched to a 12' centerpin rod. It is totally different. I can reach 80+ feet now. But accuracy still need improve.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 09:54:31 PM »

Pins should be able to cast a considerable distance. If I have enough space behind me for a half decent swing/rod load, I can cast just as far as my spinning set ups - with just the weight of a spoon on (I've started swinging spoons on my pins instead of spinning rods much of the time now). It just takes practice.

For tight spaces, you can give the reel a bit of a bat before you cast. Takes a bit to get used to, but you can get a good 80+ feet with very little casting room. I often do underhand casts while giving the reel a bit of a bat if there is overhanging brush directly behind me (typical of small island rivers). Again, you should be able to get at least 50 feet with an underhand cast with proper rod loading and reel spin. As for accuracy, that just comes with practice and getting used to your setup.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »

Thanks for the input.
I can reach 80+ feet now.
I hope you don’t get upset with me when I hook fish at your feet! 😎
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Jk47

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 09:25:27 AM »

^What Ralph said^. Figure out how to get the real spinning prior to your actual cast (during the rod load) and you'll get more distance and a smoother all around cast. But- it sucks reeling in 100 ft plus of line through current - and really cuts down on your fishing time. While there are definitely times you may want to bomb casts to the holding water on the opposite bank, I find its generally best to concentrate your efforts on shorter casts for fish on your own side of the river. More casts = more time with your presentation in the water = more fish (IMO)

ae_9

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »

I'm still unable to figure it out as well

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »

I'm still unable to figure it out as well

Longer rod is better. It allows the reel spin while the lure does not hit the ground.
The weight shell be the upper end of the rod line weight.

I am comfortable with the centerpin cast now. However, I made a bad decision in choose a Lamiglas redline centerpin rod. This brand new rod broke without any impact in one hour use. The warranty cost half of the rod price.

Another suggestion is use braid instead of mono line. mono tend to jump out when the tension is less, but braid stay well and lighter for distance. I wonder why all the posts I read suggest mono main line.

I use centerpin reel on spinning rod, baitcast rod, fly rod, spey rod and centerpin rod. All cast well. However, I prefer mount the reel at the top end of the grip. It feels much lighter to cast and hold.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 03:17:47 PM »

Better yet, just throw that pin out and grab a level wind ;D. *Ducks for cover*

Exactly what I did. It wasn't because I couldnt' cast it. It's just that without a multiplier, those long casts take FOREVER to retrieve. More time retrieving = less time fishing.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 05:02:41 PM »

I also quit the pin after a few seasons.
The Calcutta was just so much easier and i figure i get 1/3 more casts in at the end of the day.