Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luhr Jessen Legacy Float Rod  (Read 4625 times)

jinyu

Luhr Jessen Legacy Float Rod
« on: November 15, 2019, 09:06:04 AM »

Hi guys, according to Fred's facebook page, Luhr Jessen 11' foot rod action is close to Sage 3113. I don't own a Sage 3113LB or 3113MB rod, just wish to ask you centerpin pros if this Luhr Jessen float rod is good for the price? Is 4-10 lb test good for the vedder coho fishing? It may be too light if hooks a chum or spring.

Here is the link from Cabelas:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/122406/luhr-jensen-legacy-series-float-drift-spinning-rod

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Luhr Jessen Legacy Float Rod
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 09:18:16 AM »

I also want to know any experience with their centerpin reel. They looks like the same from Rapala reel. and it is on sale

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 10:01:03 AM »

I also want to know any experience with their centerpin reel. They looks like the same from Rapala reel. and it is on sale

They do look very similar and since it's the same company ( more or less ) I'd be scared to own another Rapala single action reel. I owned two Rapala Shift mooching reels a few year ago and hated them. Worst mooching reels ever.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:16:40 AM by Hike_and_fish »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:00 AM »

This Luhr Jensen rod is not that similar to a Sage 3113LB or MB. They are similar in length but that is about it. The Sage 3113LB (8-17 line rating, medium power) and MB (10-20 line rating, med-heavy power) are both a fair bit beefier than the LJ 11 footer with 4-10 line rating. LJ rates this rod as medium power 4-10 for me = medium light. This translates to not a great rod for chum and/or springs. Might be ok for coho and steel head depending on the type of water you are fishing.

If you are looking to get into center pinning my advice would to find some decent used stuff and try it out. No need to go high end unless you have lots of money to burn. Get a 10'6" or similar length pin rod in either medium or medium heavy power. Shimano Convergence, Fenwick HMX, Trophy, Okuma, and so on are great budget friendly options. These rods are mostly under 200 bucks new and about half that used. Same goes for the reel. I'd get a budget Okuma, Rapala or simialr budget reel. Sometimes you can find used combo deals for $150-200. Try it out and if you like it you can always upgrade later and sell the cheap set up or keep it as a backup/loaner.

Lastly, if you are going to buy new don't buy online IMO. Go to your local tackle shop and buy there. You won't save a lot buying new online and you'll have a much better buying experience locally. 

Found this add on Craigslist. I'd buy something like this. As long as the reel does not have any major issue (bearings are shot, dents, wobbles) it would be fine to try it out. And if the rod is decent I'd buy that too.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/spo/d/abbotsford-east-rapala-centerpin-reduced/6995233517.html

Another good looking starter combo!

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/spo/d/port-coquitlam-central-rod-reel-combo/7007839975.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:46:43 AM by Spawn Sack »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 11:31:20 AM »

4 to 10 pound line rating would be fine for vedder coho but springs are sometimes a by catch while fishing for coho. 4 to 10 is a bad idea for chinook, chum and stealhead. you will need another rod if you plan on targeting these species.

mikeyman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 08:06:27 PM »

I bought one. It casts well. Drifts well. Nice hook set. Coho no problem. Had a hell of a time getting a fresh 20 lb spring in with it. It seems like a nice rod. Just not much backbone to put the pressure on.

Shinny

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 06:43:14 AM »

Myself and a few friends use this rod. http://www.amundson.ca/gfishingrods/29 Can’t beat the price, the quality is great.

They are local if you have any issues. A friend snapped his tip off putting the rod into his truck. He went down there and they sold him just the second part of the rod for wholesale cost they said, either way it was $40 and I thought that was super reasonable. Anyways...it’s a rod to consider. It ain’t a sage rod...but it’s also not $400-$500 either.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 04:55:22 PM »

They do look very similar and since it's the same company ( more or less ) I'd be scared to own another Rapala single action reel. I owned two Rapala Shift mooching reels a few year ago and hated them. Worst mooching reels ever.
Rapala rods didn’t sell well in B.C. so they changed the brand to Luhr Jensen hoping that name brand would be more acceptable to B.C. fishermen.
There have been issues with both rods and reels under the Luhr Jensen brand so they recalled the first run of products.
Maybe the second time around they will stand up better.