Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitching salmon carcasses  (Read 5022 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Pitching salmon carcasses
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 11:01:45 PM »

That's correct, we are only talking about the fish which are at the hatchery for ESSR. Fish in the river are still free to spawn at their will, for now. :)

From Dave's observations from his steelhead walks and all the new habitats we have built in the system, to me it just sounds like spawning grounds are still under-utilized. Correct me if I am wrong Dave.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 07:55:12 AM »

I think you’re right Rodney, the upper river is underutilized by certain species like steelhead, chum and self-sustaining chinook.  As most who have read Pete’s and my steelhead enumerations will know, the upper Chilliwack river is sparse for gravel, with virtually all spawning areas concentrated in manmade off channel areas or augmented gravel sites. In these areas pink and coho are doing well, with one site, Angelwing channel, doing exceptionally well.

We all know the advantage of chums to a coastal watershed so imo, the best enhancement value for this system would be chum augmentation in the upper river. This could be done with fry plants but perhaps the best way would be eyed egg plants in Centennial and Yukalup channels, as well as the outlet of Chilliwack Lake.  Egg plants are much more labor intensive but have a proven track record with other salmonids, the advantage being the alevins develop at the ambient water temperature and the returning adults having a better chance of future homing success.

avid angler

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »

Dave something I noticed this past fall is all the side channels that reconnected with the river in a pool or run (good holding water) were much more heavily used then the channels that re connected with the main river in spots that won’t hold any fish. On a river as heavily used as the vedder (fisherman, campers,, kayakers etc) I think it’s important the fish have somewhere to hide during the day. That’s still close enough to the enhanced spawning channels for them to slip in and use them at night. Especially fish like steelhead that aren’t on their death bed when their ready to spawn.

ae_9

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »

How many were thrown back?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 09:48:46 AM »

Dave something I noticed this past fall is all the side channels that reconnected with the river in a pool or run (good holding water) were much more heavily used then the channels that re connected with the main river in spots that won’t hold any fish. On a river as heavily used as the vedder (fisherman, campers,, kayakers etc) I think it’s important the fish have somewhere to hide during the day. That’s still close enough to the enhanced spawning channels for them to slip in and use them at night. Especially fish like steelhead that aren’t on their death bed when their ready to spawn.
I agree and that could be one of the reasons the outlet of Chilliwack Lake is so consistent for steelhead spawners; your suggestion could be accomplished by closing the Chilliwack River to angling above Tamihi Creek on March 31.

buck

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 11:51:44 AM »

Rod: A number of years ago we jump started Centennial Channel by releasing 1 million pink salmon at the outlet of the channel. Pink returns to the channel have been good over the years. Chum fry could be used for the same purpose. It just takes additional time and man power to accomplish.