Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Man dies after fall in Capilano  (Read 7009 times)

bbwong

Re: Man dies after fall in Capilano
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 12:26:40 AM »

Sorry if what I said got lost in translation. My only intention is hoping tragedies like this will never happen again.
That's why I wanted to point out this place is very dangerous and even worse with the bait ban ends. Those fishermen who left the roe on the rocks may never know it might cause danger to others. RIP to the victim and condolences to the family.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 06:29:20 AM »

Sorry if what I said got lost in translation. My only intention is hoping tragedies like this will never happen again.
That's why I wanted to point out this place is very dangerous and even worse with the bait ban ends. Those fishermen who left the roe on the rocks may never know it might cause danger to others. RIP to the victim and condolences to the family.
Well said. Your critics can stand corrected. This reminds me of the fella that passed a couple of yrs ago on the Vedder. The rock he was standing on broke free and he fell in the river and was swept away. So sad.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »

That's what I thought bbwong. Thanks for clarifying it.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 10:41:56 AM »

Your an idiot. This is a tragic accident event. Completely inappropriate comment
Seems to me he was simply pointing out the possibility of future danger.

avid angler

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »

If you really believe a discarded piece of bait is going to cause an angler to slip and fall I don’t even know what to say. What’s next? Getting in a car accident and say you crashed into a ditch because you weee driving behind Donky Kong and he threw a banana peel out the window?

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »

That was HIM pointing out HIS opinion of the possibility and you called him an idiot. Now it seems your wanting to say the same of me.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 01:10:32 PM »

It's been a while since I've posted here so Hi everyone ! I've fished the Cap well over a couple hundred times. One time, ohh about a dozen years ago and  around this time of season I went with my brother to Big Rock in the canyon. After hiking in I had a to cross a small stream at the time to access Big Rock. The water level as we began was at a lovely 2 feet, per the marker at the hatchery so the stream only came up a little above my ankles. My brother stayed fishing on the other side of the stream and I fished with one other person I'd never met on BR. It rained a bit as the hours passed, we caught some jack's and released them and had a lovely time.

After about 5 hours of fishing nearing 5 o'clock we decided to head out and it was only then that I saw how much the water had risen. As I fished I had known the water was rising but little would I expect that that little stream was now a raging current going through that narrow opening. For me and the young fellow that was fishing with me there was no possible way to cross back safely and the rain was starting to fall harder. My brother was on the other side and I knew he had a safety rope so I told the guy beside me here's the plan. We toss our rods over and our vests, then I will catch Tim's rope and wrap it around my waist. I will then go to the side of BR where the water was calmer and jump in. Tim will pull as I swim and I'll reach the opposite side wet, cold but alive. Then we'll throw the rope to you, rinse and repeat.

We threw Tim our rods and vests and he tossed over the safety rope. I fastened it securely and was all set to move to the side of BR and jump in and swim. But to my utter amazement the young fellow standing to the left of me said, "Hold on, lets just see." and then he stuck his right foot into the raging waterfall. He was carried away in a second and he grabbed me in desperation to stay alive. I went in as well and as we both were pushed through the raging water I felt hundreds of bubbles and cold and wet but strangely I was peaceful, it didn't frighten me. When we passed through we both popped up, the current still extremely strong and the youngster was hanging onto me for dear life.

I screamed to Tim to not let go of the rope and after a few seconds he shouted back "I can't hold you both." Well there was nothing we could do but pray as we both did our best to swim to shore and Tim pulled. It seemed longer but was probably under a minute when we finally made it to land, thank God. It was the closest I've ever been to death from fishing the Cap and I know that river better than any river I've ever fished. It is a killer and if you don't fish smart and safe it will take your life, guaranteed. We did on this trip underestimate the rising of the river, that was on us. But afterward we did all the correct moves except one. The unknown quantity of being and fishing with someone that didn't take the river seriously and could of cost us both of our lives. All it takes is one mistake and one second to make it and you are done. I apologize for this stories length but I hope you learn something from it. My condolences to this man that just lost his life and to those he left behind to mourn.   

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 06:45:58 AM »

If you really believe a discarded piece of bait is going to cause an angler to slip and fall I don’t even know what to say. What’s next? Getting in a car accident and say you crashed into a ditch because you weee driving behind Donky Kong and he threw a banana peel out the window?
Man up and admit you were wrong dude.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »

That's too bad...

The one time I was truly fearful for my safety while fishing was in the Capilano canyon. It was early in BC fishing career (when my enthusiasm and good sense were not in equal measure) and I was fishing for early coho in the spring. I clambered down the canyon walls to fish the Dogleg Pool and climbed back up the canyon at a different location. Mistake #1

Half way back up I became stuck. I had tucked my fishing rod in the back of my vest, so I had both hands free to climb, and it was getting caught in foliage and preventing upward progress. And the rocks I was clinging to were mossy and slick. So there I was: not feeling I could safely go down, unable to go up, and having a tentative purchase on mossy rocks and roots. And then my limbs started shaking, and fear set in.   After a bit of maneuvering I was able to go sideways, free the rod, and continue up.

Thereafter all my fishing in the canyon was on established trails!
Got myself into the same situation in the Chehalis canyon in my early twenties, long time ago. Very sketchy, lesson was learned that day !

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »

Got myself into the same situation in the Chehalis canyon in my early twenties, long time ago. Very sketchy, lesson was learned that day !
Yes that Chehalis Canyon is downright scary. My 1st time there 30 odd years ago I went down the wrong way. I couldn't figure out why so many fishermen below were staring at me. Got to a point where I couldn't go up and the next footstop was a 6 ft. slide and if I missed it I would of fell 25 ft. to the canyon floor. No choice. Can't stay there all day. Slid and barely, barely made it. People below told me no one goes down that way, too dangerous. The right trail was to the right of that one, lol. Fished there lot's since then and never made that trail mistake again.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »

Yup. Young and dumb.
I actually was an idiot that day.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:06:41 AM by iblly »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 02:19:19 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to share that story Athezone.  An excellent and chilling reminder of how things can go the wrong way with one miss step.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 08:07:08 PM »

Terrible tragedy.

I have not fished the cap in 15 years. I used to go there often but only the mouth in the summer to buzzbomb for coho and pinks at times.

I didn't think there were many salmon going up this late. Was it Chinook they were targeting or..?

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to share that story Athezone.  An excellent and chilling reminder of how things can go the wrong way with one miss step.
Thank you Knnn, much appreciated !

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 11:42:47 PM »

Terrible tragedy.

I have not fished the cap in 15 years. I used to go there often but only the mouth in the summer to buzzbomb for coho and pinks at times.

I didn't think there were many salmon going up this late. Was it Chinook they were targeting or..?
I hadn't fished the Cap for 3 years due to knee replacements in both knee's recently. Hiked into the canyon to a spot I'd been to many, many times and it just about killed me, lol. Age, physical ailments and lack of proper excercise proved my undoing. As I'm in my 60's the canyon may be a bit to too much and to dangerous to traverse for me. I shall leave it to younger and more daring friends. Ohhh and to answer your question Dennis, they were probably targeting late run coho and springs. The keeping of chum has rarely been allowed.