Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have you wasted a female salmon only to take her roe?

Yes, on occasion, and I always feel bad about it.
- 2 (2.2%)
Yes, it's my fish which I legitimately caught and I am to use it as I please.
- 2 (2.2%)
Yes, I only kill female fish for the roe, not for consumption. I always need roe for bait/food.
- 1 (1.1%)
No, I always practice catch and release regardless of the species or gender.
- 4 (4.5%)
No, I always make sure I can use the whole fish. I never waste my catch.
- 80 (89.9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Wasting fish only for roe  (Read 13109 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Wasting fish only for roe
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 01:56:14 PM »

I took my spinning trout rod that has 15 pound test. I tired a gibbs croc to the end of it. I tossed it into a bank and I caught some coho.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:19:45 PM by wildmanyeah »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »

Is this a try and get bait banned thread?

Not at all. Unless you make it to be.
It's more of a "How many people waste a doe only for the roe?"

There are passionate responses, but no hidden agenda here.
Don't be paranoid.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »

Clarki, all the Provincial Regulations apply to salmon. In almost every case the regulations are also synchronized in the Federal Fisheries Act Regulations. That is done so the question of jurisdiction can't be raised as a possible defense in court.
I have not been unknown to abandon an untenable position.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »

Unfortunately the only way DFO has to deal with a person in possession of to much roe is an apprentice notice.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 04:30:02 PM »

I have not been unknown to abandon an untenable position.

What an elegant way to concede you were wrong! I will include it in my linguistic arsenal.  :D

243Pete

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2019, 01:53:55 PM »

To kill a fish just for roe and to dispose of the rest in a fashion that basically deems it a waste is terrible. My saying is that one day karma will bite them where it should and what ever terrible thing happens to these people will be deemed fair and appropriate.
As for roe, I've been sharing a lot with friends and friends who bring new anglers with them, a friend got two very generous sized bucks from the mid river this season on spring roe I gave him and he was super happy.
So far I've let go of so many springs (a LOT of does) that people have even begged me to keep it for them or even question "Why?" Why keep what I won't use and what I don't need?

ae_9

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »

I will take a fish for roe but I do not waste the fish. If it's not good table fare for me, it gets cooked up for my dog.

How do you make sure all the bones are out ?

DRP79

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »

I flake it apart before putting it in her bowl to get any I missed.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2019, 10:06:15 AM »

OK guys.  How about this scenario. You are flyfishing for coho in a spot where everyone else is flyfishing.  Other fishers catch their doe, and leave the roe behind or offer it to you and you decide to take the roe for later use (less assume that you got less than a kg of donated roe).  Legal issues aside, do you see a problem with this?

bobby b

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2019, 10:12:53 AM »

I have indeed seen a few carcasses that were just killed for roe. Such a waste.

I will keep roe when I need it, and will give it(roe) away if asked when I feel I don't need it.

But, I have noticed more this season people asking me not just for the roe but asking for my fish!  A few times now I have been getting ready to release a doe, and have had someone run over and ask 'can I have your fish'!!!

The answer is always no ...  but now I wonder if they just wanted the roe!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2019, 10:54:31 PM »

I have indeed seen a few carcasses that were just killed for roe. Such a waste.

I will keep roe when I need it, and will give it(roe) away if asked when I feel I don't need it.

But, I have noticed more this season people asking me not just for the roe but asking for my fish!  A few times now I have been getting ready to release a doe, and have had someone run over and ask 'can I have your fish'!!!

The answer is always no ...  but now I wonder if they just wanted the roe!

Far too many carcasses are in the river of fish that were killed only for roe. I even saw a couple of chum carcasses with their bellies cut open.
The appetite for roe for fishing purposes has spiralled put of control.
It seems on some of my weekend outings that 90% of anglers on the water don't fish with anything else but roe?!
I'd be happy to see a blanket roe ban province wide at least for one full salmon cycle or until we see the extent of the contraction of salmon numbers.
That would also give time to those who can't catch salmon without roe to try out and learn other methods.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:57:51 PM by milo »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »

I don't see a problem from picking up discarded roe or roe that is offered to you by someone who doesn't use it.

As for people asking for your fish - well if the fish is legal to keep, any fish you give them, counts as part of your daily retention limit. If it's not legal to keep tell them so.

FWIW I have watched anglers release 2 or even 3 chrome male springs and keep a doe in similar condition. Nothing wrong with that either but if a male is given away that's it for retention of fish over the 62cm limit.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ae_9

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »

I would personally never waste a fish for the roe. Hate seeing it. But then again nothing stopping them from throwing it out in the trash can at home.

spoiler

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2019, 06:53:55 PM »

What you guys are forgetting is that a lot of people are getting the roe to eat rather than bait.
In a lot of cultures salmon roe or salmon caviar is treasured.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »

I was able to watch a Fisheries person examining, sampling and checking dead springs on another FV river. For each female they slit the belly on the lower flank to check if the fish was spawned out. I asked if they knew this slitting of the belly to check if the specimen had spawned was also done during checks on the  on the Vedder/Chilliwack. Response was yes that is the procedure followed though they personally had not done this work on the V/C.

Perhaps that explains the large number of dead females with slit bellies and with no eggs present, on the V/C?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:20:59 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.