Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season  (Read 166068 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »

In other hockey news, Canada rallied from a 2 goal deficit in the 3rd period to win 4-3 over the Russians to win Gold in the World Juniors.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2020, 07:58:02 PM »

In other hockey news, Canada rallied from a 2 goal deficit in the 3rd period to win 4-3 over the Russians to win Gold in the World Juniors.
Pay back for the 6-0 W Russia had over Canada at start of tourney.
That big comeback in 1972 Canada had over the USSR still has it's sub conscious effects of a Soviet meltdown in 3rd period.
Same virus that TO gets in pressure games.  ;D

TNAngler

« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2020, 07:46:17 AM »

Been seeing your guy's scores, keep it going.  Won Saturday night, then went to a shootout last night against the Ducks.  Have one guy sick and one defenseman injured and another in IR so playing a number of rookies but they at least fought.  Down 1-0, came back and went up 2-1, then down 4-2 but came back to 4-4 to go to overtime and then to the shootout.  Took a number of tries too before they got one we didn't.  One of our guys beat their goalie but hit the inside of the post and it was just enough it went out instead of in.  Quarter inch and we would have won.  Oh well.  Just hope they keep pushing and keep getting points.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »

Ya seen that they won in LA & getting a pt in Duck rink the next night.
SOS not needed for the Preds.
Team still has lots of kicking legs ...
Warning your team is on the westcoast & FA & I warn you...do not come to our rink or the Canucks will win by 2-3-4 goals.
Ok see your wise & Nashville Preds not coming to Vancouver.
Wise choice.
TNA yes the Canucks are on a roll but coach ( jockey may suggest they cool it for a few games... then again put foot to pedal )
The NHL had so many good teams & it's a toss up who will win on any given night.
As you say that shot hit inside of post ....but rebounded out. How close can a team get.
Goalie equipment is the two posts & crossbar. Ha!
Hits post & does not go in !!! Now that was a great save by the goalie.  ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »

Peter Laviolette fired as coach of the Preds

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2020, 08:02:25 PM »

Coaching wasn’t the problem here! It’s definitely upper management! Shea Weber trade is coming full circle now! That was the beginning of the end! A lot of people applauded that trade for Subban! Not hard to figure out what player plays for the name on the front of the jersey vs the player who plays for the name on the back!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

TNAngler

« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2020, 08:06:20 AM »

Going to be an interesting couple days here.

I would disagree that coaching wasn't the issue though.  Lavvy did well but he was showing a real inability to change and alter what was happening.  There is a lot of commentary out about our last couple playoff appearances.  How the year we went to the Stanley Cup Finals, we caught everyone by surprise, they couldn't figure out how to get the puck past our trap defense into the zone.  The next year, we did the same thing but people had figured it out and it was only through some luck that we got as far as we did.  Last year, Dallas had it figured out completely and made us look horrible.  So, we get more talented players but the system doesn't change.  Dallas made us look horrible in the playoffs last year and in both the times they have faced us this season.  If we hadn't had the five minute major, I'm not sure the first period would have looked good for us either.  And yet, nothing changes.

Power play is the same thing.  We have always been the team that throws it around the outside and then the defense takes a shot from the blue line.  So, we bring in more talented guys so we can do more.... and yet still, most of our shots on the power play are from the blue line.  However, if we score it is most often because there is a change and someone actually passes it across the middle or to someone other than going around the outside.  They just don't hardly ever do that.

Shea Weber is looking great and he was well loved here but his last couple playoff years here he was starting to look old.  He was fine through the regular season but got tired in the playoffs.  His contract also was choking us.  Subban's wasn't any better.  There were a bunch here that liked Subban's play but it drove me nuts.  High risk, high reward.  He might get a good shot and score but if he doesn't it is often leading to a break away the other direction.  However, trading him freed up a lot of space for us to make some moves.  I think we would love to have Weber back but not at his cost.

John Hines just announced as new coach.  We will see how this goes.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2020, 09:43:05 AM »

Agree that Subban is high risk and high rewards. His high risk and individual plays didn't endeared him to Michel Therrien and ultimately lead to his departure from Montreal.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2020, 11:57:03 AM »

Just read this news!
Tuesday AM .
Head coaches are on a Merry go Round.
But the trend is well known coaches are being fired but seems they are not getting re hired.
After they have coached 5-6 teams & get fired from the 6th team it 's like owners see that on their resume.
Plus lots of other younger coaches are out there with good records & full of positive energy.
Case & pt how a coach change made in TO has totally been a major plus.
The Leafs team looked like a bag of rocks was taken off their backs & they look so renewed & energized.

FA was contacted to take over Preds but he is too loyal to the Canucks. He said "No way"
Loyalty was more powerful than $$$.
So Preds went with 2nd person on the list.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2020, 12:56:48 PM »

:D :D

TNAngler

« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »

Well, first night with a new coach..... same result.  Didn't expect different I guess other than it possibly having lit a fire under some rumps and while it seemed to maybe do that, the same mistakes were still present.  In fact, all the mistakes we have been making over the last couple months were all present all in one game.  The new coach even said it was very obvious standing behind the bench some of the issues so he has a very good idea of what needs to be worked on.  Just hoping he can fix the issues because it was a frustrating night.

Didn't see the final Vancouver score but you were losing last I saw.  Hope you pulled it out but given the silence, that doesn't give me hope.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »

Well, first night with a new coach..... same result.  Didn't expect different I guess other than it possibly having lit a fire under some rumps and while it seemed to maybe do that, the same mistakes were still present.  In fact, all the mistakes we have been making over the last couple months were all present all in one game.  The new coach even said it was very obvious standing behind the bench some of the issues so he has a very good idea of what needs to be worked on.  Just hoping he can fix the issues because it was a frustrating night.

Didn't see the final Vancouver score but you were losing last I saw.  Hope you pulled it out but given the silence, that doesn't give me hope.
Canucks lost big time!!! 9 goals scored on them.
But if you look 8 comments up I did mention that the Canucks will cool it for a few games.
FA advisor & Coach Green jockey thought the Canucks should coast a bit ...& then pounce again & fill the net with pucks.
They are so wise. Like a good jockey on so race horse.
Canucks had a 1 hr stretch & light skate & then 20 question test.
Only one player got test ? wrong.
Answer to all ?'s : We cool down for a few games.
The wrong answer : Me beat.
He went thru lecture again via recording & retested.
This time he wrote: We cool down for a few games.
( Canucks did cool down against Tampa ...infact they put on the foot brakes & parking brakes & cooled down they did...all in the master plan )

Yes let's see how new coach does in Nashville. TNA for advisor & GM & coach !

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2020, 03:15:28 PM »

Green will soon be looking for greener pastures soon after last night. ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »

Green will soon be looking for greener pastures soon after last night. ;D
FA advisor Nova Canuck fan & myself Canuck fan were kinda hoping you were checking the scores of the Maple Leafs only & would not know the 9 goals scored on the Canucks.  :-[
Master plan was for the team to cool it for a few games & lose by 1-2-3 goals but it got a little outta hand.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2020, 07:50:26 PM »

Chris is Green with envy with the team we got.